BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to get everyone all riled up with that subject

For the fish we take home there are two options in my book. Put them in the cooler on ice, or leave them in the live well.

I think fish deserve at least some measure of respect before they get filleted and filleting them while they are still flopping is a bit bothersome. I do it all the time but I wish there was a way to end their life quickly. If I throw them on ice, they are dead when they're filleted but I don't know if asphyxiation is the most respectful way of dispatching them. And when they come out of the livewell, they could basically swim away. I've tried some pretty hard bops on the head but that doesn't seem to work, or maybe I'm not bopping in the right spot. I've tried some knife pokes into the "brain" area, but that seems ineffective too.

I'm just wondering if anyone has a good way of dispatching fish like flounder, bass and tog, without cutting off their heads (b/c then I have nothing to hold when filleting them). I'm still gonna eat 'em for dinner in the end, but I'd like to at least kill them as quickly as possible...

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Originally posted by mhp:
Not to get everyone all riled up with that subject

For the fish we take home there are two options in my book. Put them in the cooler on ice, or leave them in the live well.

I think fish deserve at least some measure of respect before they get filleted and filleting them while they are still flopping is a bit bothersome. I do it all the time but I wish there was a way to end their life quickly. If I throw them on ice, they are dead when they're filleted but I don't know if asphyxiation is the most respectful way of dispatching them. And when they come out of the livewell, they could basically swim away. I've tried some pretty hard bops on the head but that doesn't seem to work, or maybe I'm not bopping in the right spot. I've tried some knife pokes into the "brain" area, but that seems ineffective too.

I'm just wondering if anyone has a good way of dispatching fish like flounder, bass and tog, without cutting off their heads (b/c then I have nothing to hold when filleting them). I'm still gonna eat 'em for dinner in the end, but I'd like to at least kill them as quickly as possible...
I say,Just put'em on ice.The colder they are,the easier they are to clean..IMO

·
Registered
141 Posts
I hope you are kidding mhp. You really worry about how the fish feels. You probably love piping plovers too. HA

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I found that the drug combination of sodium pentothal, pancuronium bromide, and potassium chloride administered intravenously as soon as the fish is landed greatly reduces the panic the fish must feel.
I start the drip even before the hook is removed.
The fish goes to sleep peacefully and is not aware that it has been dispatched.
I also found that I can go to sleep with a clear conscience knowing that the fish did not suffer.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Alot of cubed ice under and on top kills them pretty quickly-and probably dulls their senses just like a human in cold water-its over quick. Plus they are easier to clean and eat better! Dont be the guy with 30 sea bass in the box and one block of ice off in the corner somewhere...

·
Registered
371 Posts
hmmm..do fish feel pain???..I don`t think so....hmmm....when Jesus filled them boats with fish..he didn`t have any Ice

·
Registered
381 Posts
I hypnotize the fish before I fillet them. I swing a hopkins or some thing shiny in front of thier eyes and speak to them in a calm smooth voice. They go into a trance and that way they don't feel a thing. :D

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Hardy Har Har Mateys! :D
mhp, just slit their throats and put em on ice ASAP. Best for ALL parties involved, for all the right reasons.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Gills my men...Gills!!!!!! Cut'em out...bleeds them and if it doesn't send them into total shock (kinds like cutting your lungs out)I don't know what will...

Capthersch...I thought NJ was an electricution state??????? 12 volts enough??????

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I am with Keeper Seeker

·
Registered
385 Posts
Don't forget that any fish you're going to keep is a predator - that has gained "keeper size" by tormenting, biting in half, and swallowing whole/live other fish.
All about conservation, but we're the greater power. ;)
BTW, sometimes I will "bop" a fish to end it for him. Hard, fast, almost too powerful strike to the head just behind the eyes will do it - you know you've done it correctly when all fins stick straight out and twitch for a bit :D

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I`m crackin up over here!
You guys be funny... :D

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
With blues and bass, bleed them and then push up from the bottom of the gills and the backbone will snap and it is all over. You have a bled fish and he dispatched quickly. Then on ice to preserve the flesh for the table.

I never tried it for a fluke...but now that you have peeked my curiosity, I will give it a go and report back.

Dr. Death...(LOL!!)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
had plenty of fluke to test out that theory but it was too freakin windy today to mess around with a fish and blow all over (motor run all day!)
So next time...the fish today got an ice bath but the fish we got/caught near the end of the day stayed alive in the cooler until we picked them up for fileting!!!! About one hour...thats terrible! They get the bat (almost solid metal fishing chair pole) and lights out and on ice.

That dang pole is great to hit skates with so they are not flapping around while you try to retrieve your lure. one tap and it is time to reach down to release the fish...about half looked frisky when they hit the water.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts