BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No doubt the fluke fishing the past month or so is not what it has been in year's past nor what it should be right now. Although I have picked a few up here and there it really seesm drastically off from what it should be. Reading the reports on the BB and a few other sites it appears to be the same slow pick all over. Usually, this time of year you can catch 20 or 30 fluke and have a decent keeper ratio of 1-3, 1-4 or 1-5. In the beginning of the month the water was a little on the cold side but things have warmed up just fine at this point.
Do anyone have a theory as to why the drasctic difference from past May's? I have to admit it is somewhat disconcerting for this time of year.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I wonder if all those posts in the spring about baby flounder in the striper bellies have a partial effect on this

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
I don't think there's nearly as many fluke as the fish managers are claiming. They're claiming record biomass of fluke. Seems to me there were many more fish years ago. Maybe I will analyze my records as time has a way of altering memories.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Sounds like they are doing well way to the north of us! We're just gonna have to wait our turn.. Just waiting for a new wave of fish to pass through!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Originally posted by NJAngler Bill:
patience. Things are behind again this year. It'll break wide open any day.
Bill, I hope you are right but I know there was a great deal of pressure on the fluke last year due to the lack of weakfish, especially in the Delaware Bay.

I can tell you this there appears to be plenty of food in the Delaware Bay. I have seen lots of minnows, grass shrimp, and peanut bunker around. So the lack of fluke can not be the lack of food in the bay.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Same thing happened with the tuna last summer! Also, look at the weakfishing this year! Most fishing is hot up north this year! Lucky for us, we had one heck of a striper season...And the drumfish are bitting. Or we'd we really scracthing or arses!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I have been catching around 10 fish per trip with 1-3 keepers. Last season at this time I was getting similar results.The fish started hitting in good numbers around the first week of June, so anyday now we could get some decent action.Hopefully soon because the JCAA is coming up and I have yet to get a fish over 5#

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Originally posted by TWIN D'S:
I don't think there's nearly as many fluke as the fish managers are claiming. They're claiming record biomass of fluke. Seems to me there were many more fish years ago. Maybe I will analyze my records as time has a way of altering memories.
Phil,

The Draggers got their quotas on the shelf this year in a day or two, which means there were lots of fluke stacked at the Spawning grounds. However, this doesn't mean they stopped fishing when their quota was filled! There are enough fluke out there to produce a healthy biomass. My 6 yr. old bud Vinni caught a baby Fluke in his castnet in my slip Sat. so atleast one made it
Looks like it's gonna be another North South issue, this year. The weather, water temps, oxygen levels being the decididing factor when the fluke make their trek inshore. Some years, we have great fluke fishing in the southern part of the State, while other years our fishing is bad, and up North they do very well. It's still way too early to tell whats going to happen down here yet this year, the fluke could be thick outside right now, and could still make a trek into the bays at any time up until the water warms too much, or the bite could be on the lumps outside starting in mid June and last all summer. All these scenarios have played out w/ the fluke before. In all my years pursuing fluke, the one constant is that every year is different, and that it's allways fun trying to find the Fluke!

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
Temperature flucuation. Seems like we are not getting enough heating days in a row to make a difference on water temps.

A few warming days, then a cold front or S winds driving cold ocean water inshore. Once water temps level out a little, we should see a pickup in the catch number & hopefully the number of keepers.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not that it's a new theory, and everything runs in cycles, but I'm old enough to remember going out w/ my dad from "dad's" boat rental in N. Wildwood catching enough flat ones that we were throwing them back fairly early in the trip. We had a house at Cape May point and can remember this occuring for several years. Some of my best fishing memories from back then. Seems we only needed squid or mini's and you were catching, not just fishing. ;) ;) (That was when DAD'S was renting the old wooden boats you had to bail in the morning to get into).

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Actually last yr. was just avg. Due to limited fishing days.Now the 5 yrs. before that! ;) :D

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Water is still cold in the depths just offshore, guys. The same reason we're not catching fluke is the same reason the wreck fishing is tough. Give it time. It's almost exactly like last year at this time, although admittedly there were more fluke around at this point last year. It'll happen. And remember, even when the fishing is reportedly slow...there's always somebody hammering 'em.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Last year was a really great year for us down here in CM..(BACKWATER) I can remember limiting parties out on most trips! And that eneded around the 3 week of June! All of May up to then was the time! We just aren't going to see that this year! I have already had as high as 74 degrees back there! I'm just hoping for a good D-Bay shot!

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Reading 72 degree backbay tempertures on the outgoing after a warm, cloudless day followed less than 4 hours later by 51 degrees in the inlet and 54 well into the backbays...

I think everything swimming right now is at least a month out of whack..... they are thinkin it's cinco de mayo

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Hope they show up soon for you guys....Fishing up here to the north (Raritan Bay) has been very good some days and others a total flop..... Opening day was excellent and limits were common till that first wave of fish were sucked up.....
Again so far fishing looks pretty good up here, with some bigger fish in the double digits now begining to show.....Keep at it guys and good luck...

[ 06-02-2004, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: broken bobber ]

1 - 20 of 43 Posts