BASS BARN banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I'd say so..there were about 9 boats in and out all day today, and about 25 shore fisherman...place is getting knocked in the head. I have a feeling though that people will get frustrated quickly with this place, there is no "obvious" structure to fish. It's bare shores and open water.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeahh there were alott of people out there today..it was really nice out even thoe we didnt take the boat out but i enjoyed just bein out there cast the new product..i wanna find out were all the goodies are on the bottom..if anyone could help me out a lil that be awsome :thumbsup:

:fighting: the brownies will come!!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I think the state should consider stocking a few more of our Southern Jersey lakes with smallies to take the pressure off of Lake Audrey. I just can't imagine the lake being very productive for long with all of the attention it's receiving.
I know Union gets stocked, but other lakes such as Lake Lenape could surely support smallmouth bass and probably some hybrid striped bass.
Northern Jersey impoundments are receiving muskies, northern pike, walleye, hybrid striped bass, smallies, and lake trout. While we get our shot of trout and a few smallies in a couple of our lakes; it just doesn't seem to add up. Instead of tossing close to 30,000 hybrids into Lake Hopatcong, why not stock 5,000 in six of our lakes?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wholehartedly agree with stocking smallies in SJ. I never fished for them untill a few years ago, and I can honestly say that if you gave me a choice between only lm or sm for the rest of my life Id choose sm in a second. The problem is I have to drive forever to have access to them. One thing Ive started doing in the summer that I would urge people to try is to wade the delaware above trenton. Ive fished the river all the way from Trenton up to Bulls Island and usually have a few quality fish each trip I take. Plus its alot of fun to explore the river, find hot spots, and fish current. There are many places to park and access the river. A good place to start is Washington Crossing State park of of rt 29

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
You can blame all the internet reports you want on the place getting pounded...but go to any local tackle shop and this place has been the buzz for a years now. You still have to get the fish to bite..and yes some nice size fish are being caught, but it's not like people are catching 20 or 30. It's a PUBLIC LAKE open for EVERYONE to fish..get off your high horses and get fishing. I've had about enough of this site. It's been nice while it lasted, but this will be my last post on the bassbarn. If anybody wouuld like to go fishing instead of pointing fingers on the internet.. you can email me at [email protected] :wave::thumbsdown:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
You can blame all the internet reports you want on the place getting pounded...but go to any local tackle shop and this place has been the buzz for a years now. You still have to get the fish to bite..and yes some nice size fish are being caught, but it's not like people are catching 20 or 30. It's a PUBLIC LAKE open for EVERYONE to fish..get off your high horses and get fishing. I've had about enough of this site. It's been nice while it lasted, but this will be my last post on the bassbarn. If anybody wouuld like to go fishing instead of pointing fingers on the internet.. you can email me at [email protected] :wave::thumbsdown:
The internet is bringing a lot of attention to a lot of good lakes that a lot of people would know nothing about without it. Even with the postings in the tackle shops, not even 10% of the people that know would have a clue they existed. It's good to find out about new places to fish, but puddles are getting pounded because of good reports every day......it only lasts so long.

Especially a place like Audrey being so different than anywhere else. And just cause you can't see the structure doesn't mean that any fisherman that has any type of a clue and a fishfinder can't find some.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I totally agree with you guys, I wish they would stock other fisheries with smallies in SJ but here's the problem. The internet it a big thing, but it is a public lake. Everyon'es entitled to fish it. Hell I'd heard about it before they even started pourin' in the lime to raise the pH. Like they did with Audrey, they'd have to ban fishing other lakes for a good two years to let the fish population grow as well as let the fish reach maturity. That's why this lake is so great right now. Those fish have had NO pressure because it was off limits to fishing so they were able to get big. You want bigger smallies in Union, or Rainbow, Lenape, whereever, you have to close those fisheries for a good two years. That's just somethin that would have to be dealt with.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
WOW!!!!! He went 2 whole minutes....

:D:D

Russ

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I think the state should consider stocking a few more of our Southern Jersey lakes with smallies to take the pressure off of Lake Audrey. I just can't imagine the lake being very productive for long with all of the attention it's receiving.
I know Union gets stocked, but other lakes such as Lake Lenape could surely support smallmouth bass and probably some hybrid striped bass.
Northern Jersey impoundments are receiving muskies, northern pike, walleye, hybrid striped bass, smallies, and lake trout. While we get our shot of trout and a few smallies in a couple of our lakes; it just doesn't seem to add up. Instead of tossing close to 30,000 hybrids into Lake Hopatcong, why not stock 5,000 in six of our lakes?

Coming from a fisheries management point of view:

You need funding for a project such as Lake Audrey. Most of you know there's more people and more funding for most North Jersey projects vs South Jersey projects. North Jersey gets the priority.

Secondly the lakes in North Jersey are larger glacially created bodies of water. They have sustaining populations of fish already and it's easier to stock them than to create and entirely new body of water like they did with Audrey.

Thirdly the management of smallmouth or any game fish is dependent upon carrying capacity. The last I checked Lenape wasn't even a good destination for largemouth. What argument would you have to support its sustaining a viable population of smallmouth? Smallies require a massive amount of food in the form of craws or pelagic baitfish. Most North Jersey lakes have alewives which the smallmouth feed on voraciously. It's population control.

The fisheries manager in NJ knows what he's doing. He has X number of funds to work with and he's applying them in the best way he can. Audrey was just a dream a few years ago. The fact that it went through and happened is next to a miracle.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
coming from a fisheries management point of view:

You need funding for a project such as lake audrey. Most of you know there's more people and more funding for most north jersey projects vs south jersey projects. North jersey gets the priority.

Secondly the lakes in north jersey are larger glacially created bodies of water. They have sustaining populations of fish already and it's easier to stock them than to create and entirely new body of water like they did with audrey.

Thirdly the management of smallmouth or any game fish is dependent upon carrying capacity. The last i checked lenape wasn't even a good destination for largemouth. What argument would you have to support its sustaining a viable population of smallmouth? Smallies require a massive amount of food in the form of craws or pelagic baitfish. Most north jersey lakes have alewives which the smallmouth feed on voraciously. It's population control.

The fisheries manager in nj knows what he's doing. He has x number of funds to work with and he's applying them in the best way he can. Audrey was just a dream a few years ago. The fact that it went through and happened is next to a miracle.
here here.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Coming from an angler that fishes in Southern NJ:

I have no faith in anyone that is in charge of anything in the state of NJ. How’s the sea-run brown trout thing working out? They probably got three to four more returns more than if they would have flushed those fish down the toilet. The state is now labeling their sea-run brown trout program as an elusive fishery. :nuts:

Don’t get me wrong, the Division should be applauded for their work on Lake Audrey. But all I have to say is that it’s about time! If you look at the stocking information provided by the state in this year’s Freshwater Fishing Digest, you would see that the numbers of fish stocked are heavily tilted to the north. I’ve read these stocking program reports year after year and it’s always the same old thing; North Jersey get everything, while we’re lucky to receive some channel catfish.

Here is the link for New Jersey’s Stocking Program… http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2010/digfsh36-43.pdf

If things are exceeding expectations at Lake Audrey, isn’t it possible that other Southern Jersey venues could offer similar opportunities? I’ve heard tons of excuses over the years, and I’m tired of it. The success of Lake Audrey just goes to show that not only can smallies survive in our waters, but they can flourish.

Lake Lenape was just a suggestion, as I believe that smallmouth bass and hybrid striped bass would do well in the lake. How was the largemouth bass fishing at Lake Audrey before the state decided to stock it with smallies? Lake Lenape offers a tremendous fishery and I can’t help to think of what it could become with a little extra effort. Didn’t they build a fish ladder at Lake Lenape? Any idea of what the fishery managers were thinking about that one?

I understand that North Jersey takes priority, but I’m not asking for equal treatment between Northern and Southern NJ waters, I just want a little piece of the pie. After all, don’t I pay the same amount for my NJ fishing license as the guys up north?

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I'd say so..there were about 9 boats in and out all day today, and about 25 shore fisherman...place is getting knocked in the head. I have a feeling though that people will get frustrated quickly with this place, there is no "obvious" structure to fish. It's bare shores and open water.
:D The luster will wear off pretty quick for many fishermen. Only the dedicated guys will continue to return in search of that "TROPHY" smallie.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.