BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went over and walked around stocktons campus for about an hour. cought a couple of litlle picks, but no bass or anything else for that matter. wind was blowing off the lake pretty bad. didnt see any turtles out yet either. just a little bit of time left.....

·
Registered
788 Posts
I use to fish that lake at least 3 times a week when I was at Stockton, you would be suprised at some of the fish that that place holds. Try throwing a shallow running crank bait that makes some noise at night, the bass will kill it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i fish there quite often. i live right around the corner. i literally go there everyday after work to kill time till the wife gets home at 9. there are a ton of bass in that lake. nothing huge, but decent though.

two years ago i was fishing there and there was a family of canada geese swimming across the lake, about 10 chicks the size of cocker spaniels with there 2 parents. all of a sudden one went under. you will not believe the size of the snapping turtle that took this bird out. it took about an hour for the turtle to completely take the bird. it was pretty wild, the two parent geese would get up on the turtles back and start stamping down to try to get the turtle to let go, but it didnt work. the next day i was fishing there and i was walking through some reeds and saw a mutilated goose carcass. it was pretty wild watching nature take its course

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yea, I use to see the Ospreys swooping down and plucking bass out of the lake with ease. They would circle 2 or 3 times, then make their approach and snatch up their meal with one swoop. There are a TON of pickeral on the small side of the lake. (the other side of the dark path)

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Wrighteous said:
I use to fish that lake at least 3 times a week when I was at Stockton, you would be suprised at some of the fish that that place holds. Try throwing a shallow running crank bait that makes some noise at night, the bass will kill it.
Ditto...I fished that place during the 70's and nightime was the rightime. Small rebels and jitterbugs and night. Stop and go... would cream em.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
This brings back great memories. Nothing got me more excited about spring than sitting on the dark path on the first warm day with a bucket of minnows and a 12 pack. Man those were some good sights and hungry pickeral.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Wrighteous said:
Yea, I use to see the Ospreys swooping down and plucking bass out of the lake with ease. They would circle 2 or 3 times, then make their approach and snatch up their meal with one swoop. There are a TON of pickeral on the small side of the lake. (the other side of the dark path)
last year i saw a bird take a fish out of the water about 10 feet from where i was standing. it was probably one of the coolest things ive ever seen, and loud too.

yes tons of picks on that side. i actually caught a crappie on that side last year also. theres a bunch of bass over there too. i found a couple of holes last year.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Man, I wish I was back at Stockton on a day like this. It is killing me thinking about having a few brews and fishing lake Fred while I am sitting at my desk.......Ahhhhh...the good ole days. :rolleyes:

There are some real nice holes on that other side. That's where I caught my biggest bass on that side. Suprisingly with a banjo minnow....hahaha. Night time was by far the best time to fish that lake though.

·
Registered
768 Posts
i think i am gonna give fred and mill pond a shot this spring. I've been down to stockton a few times to see my bro's soccer game. I've seen the lake and from what i remeber of it, it looked rough like the cooper.:p

Anywhere to launch a kayak and park near fred thats not dead in the center of campus?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if you drive down college drive, there is a road that is directly behind the apartments that is right next to the lake. it is only an access road for garbage pickup and security and so on. until about the end of april, maybe mid may it is blocked off. once it is un blocked, there is empty space on the side of the road that you can park and also a spot to put a kayak/canoe/rowboat in.

it is not that rough once the temp rises and the wind dies down. mill pond in port republic seems like it would be a great pond to fish with a boat. i have only fished the little bit on the shore and caught a couple of bass and picks last year, but it looks like there is lots of tree cover in the distance where bass would hang out.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I actually live on campus, so if any of you guys want to go sometime, just say something on this board. I've actually figured out a pretty good pattern with the largemouth now. The only time I really have trouble are those bright sunny days with no wind because the water is so clear the fish get spooky.

·
Registered
788 Posts
It's actually not bad. My roommate had one of those inflatable boats with the hard floors and we took it out on fred quite a few times.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
It's actually filling back up too. I remember last fall fishing it and the water was a good foot or more below where it's at now.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Don't let em catch you fishing Lake Pam. No fish in there anyway, just frogs and the ghosts of Jimmy Hoffa and the Jersey Devil...;)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Lake Pam dried up years ago...

·
Registered
3 Posts
i go to stockton now and fish lake fred quite a bit...and i must say night time is definitely the best..i have caught 5 or so bass each night i have fished..nothing huge, but every once in a while there are some decent bass..lots of pickerels too..fun times

·
Registered
525 Posts
Fall '93 and my roommate and I are in a little cove between the dark path and the apartment courts. Driftin minnows from our little plastic boat. He snags a "log" and in about ten minutes brings up the biggest, gnarliest, slimiest pickerel either one of has ever seen. Still haven't seen one like it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts