BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Under the HMS Charter/Headboat Permit do I need any other permit or license to land and sell my catch in New York? I know in order to sell your catch you would have to be on a not for hire trip and the Tuna/Swordfish would have to meet all the size and landing restrictions. I was hoping any of you guys carrying this permit could fill me in on some things I may be missing. Also do you have to posses an active Captains License for a not for hire trip? I know it is the boat that is permitted and not the individual so that is the reason for this question.
I was told by a person on Long Island that in order to get an HMS Charter or Commercial permit to land and sell your catch you had to show that 70% of your income was going to come form that business or the sale of your catch. Is there any truth to this at all?

Vinny...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Under the HMS Charter/Headboat Permit do I need any other permit or license to land and sell my catch in New York? I know in order to sell your catch you would have to be on a not for hire trip and the Tuna/Swordfish would have to meet all the size and landing restrictions. I was hoping any of you guys carrying this permit could fill me in on some things I may be missing. Also do you have to posses an active Captains License for a not for hire trip? I know it is the boat that is permitted and not the individual so that is the reason for this question.
I was told by a person on Long Island that in order to get an HMS Charter or Commercial permit to land and sell your catch you had to show that 70% of your income was going to come form that business or the sale of your catch. Is there any truth to this at all?

Vinny...
with a charter/headboat permit you need a captains license

·
Registered
143 Posts
NYS does not give out any commercial fishing permits for fish caught within the NYS water ways unless you are buying a business with one already issued. There is a loop hole that I can assure you of and this is because its what I had to do and was told to do by the NYS DEC in stony brook NY .....You need to apply for a food fish permit....its $250 for the season but only fish that where caught 30 miles offshore maybe sold....about being a captain im not sure as I have both a charter permit and food fish but got them both at the same time ....best bet if you can go to stony brook in person as the people that answer the phone are kids aka college students and don't really know what's going on...PM me for more info if you need it

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks I will look into that food fish permit. I found out that when ever you are fishing for HMS on a not for hire trip there has to be a license Captain on board. Is that food fish permit for the individual or for the boat? How do I PM you?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you possess a HMS Charter/Headboat permit do you also need a shark limited access permit to target and sell sharks?

·
Registered
143 Posts
When you possess a HMS Charter/Headboat permit do you also need a shark limited access permit to target and sell sharks?
Vinny
Too sum it up there is no easy way to offshore fish be it permits ,finding the fish,ECT.....don't believe everything you see on wicked tuna

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vinny
Too sum it up there is no easy way to offshore fish be it permits ,finding the fish,ECT.....don't believe everything you see on wicked tuna
Thanks again. It wasn't easy years ago when I did it and I didn't think it would be easy now, but there has been a lot of changes since then and I just want to make sure I do it the right way. By the way if I believed everything I see on Wicked Tuna I would have quit my job and moved to Massachusetts already. Also I sent you a PM did you get it?

Vinny...

·
Registered
143 Posts
No prob ...I did and thought I emailed you back ....if I came off strong its because a lot of people come on here after seeing wicked tuna and just want to find out how to catch them quick and sell them...to me tuna fishing is fun and its a hobby....if someone wants to buy my fish great but I don't go actively looking for someone to do so....I also believe in keeping the sport and fishery alive and well for future fishermen and ladies

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No prob ...I did and thought I emailed you back ....if I came off strong its because a lot of people come on here after seeing wicked tuna and just want to find out how to catch them quick and sell them...to me tuna fishing is fun and its a hobby....if someone wants to buy my fish great but I don't go actively looking for someone to do so....I also believe in keeping the sport and fishery alive and well for future fishermen and ladies
I completely understand and back in the 80s-90s when there was no limits we set our own boat limit and the rest were tagged and released unharmed. Keeping the fishery strong and the stocks healthy is and always will be one of my biggest priorities.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.