BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone finding bass up on the beds yet. I fished yesterday at a lake I know very well and they were not up on the usual bedding areas. I caught a few nice fice but they were still in the pads not on the beds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You should start seeing them any day now. I have caught 1 with a bloody tail. The water temp has to come up a couple of degrees.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
They should begin spawning shortly. Like he said, the water is still a little cold. I caught a few males up in shallow water, but none were making beds yet. The females I caught were still in 4-15ft. of water.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
They should be on the beds in a couple weeks. The h20 is still a little cold. The fish are in the pre-spawn mode right now and eating pretty much everything you throw at them. I've caught the most and the largest bass toward evening (when the h20 is warmest), hanging around the shallow flats and just off of sandy areas where the small sunnies are hanging.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have only caught one up shallow so far this year on Blue Marsh, and that was on Saturday. Should be anyday now. I will be focusing all my attention from the shoreline out to 8 feet from now on.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Salem Co. Bassmaster, do you ever fish the meadows down there at Mannington? I caught one of my biggest bass out there. At the time you could only fish the east side of Kingshighway, the other side was private property.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Sean, I was wrong. The fish are on beds right now. I have one in my yard with eggs in it and a 2lb or so male guarding. The female (looked to be between 4 and 5lbs.) was hovering nearby. I was also out with my son for a couple hours last night and saw a bunch more beds.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
OCR Sean said:
Is anyone finding bass up on the beds yet. I fished yesterday at a lake I know very well and they were not up on the usual bedding areas. I caught a few nice fice but they were still in the pads not on the beds.
Definitely on the beds. Saw a few beds yesterday and BIG bass hanging in the shallows around the beds. Snapped off a few pics, will try and post later.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good deal I will cast around again on sun. I am going to take the canoe this time. The lake seems to be getting deeper and is not as accesible in waders as it used to be. Hopefully it is not windy and I will have the five weight fly rod with me. They seem to love wooly buggers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts