BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought the boat traffic would be too much over the weekend so i took the day off and did our fishing on Friday. Fantastic day on the water and once again the bite was on strong for the first 2 hours of the incoming. boated 10 bass and lost several other lines to the blues. Unfortunately the problem is that we have not hit into much of the 34"+. I guess we have to head out of the bay and start working the bunker for those. Any of you have any idea how much longer these bass will hang out in the bay in these large quantities, before they all head out.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Nice job Deanald. Don't give up on the inside yet for fish over 34". Four of 8 bass we boated Friday were over 34" and yesterday we had one that hit the scales at 28 pounds.

I am surprised I did not see my boat in your pictures ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Candy,
thought you were going to be out there but didn't hear anything on 78. Great to hear about your success with the larger fish. were you out there on Friday? i was talking with the guy at Bobbies tackle when i was getting gas, and he was confirming the same as you about the striper being in the bay for a few more weeks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Congrats Capt. Alex sweet fish..It is happening out front trolled up a 17 1/2, 19 1/2 and 22 1/4 pound fish on bunker spoons. I will be out front for the remainder of the bass season it will only get better out there. :cool:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Deanald, I was out there but not on 78. I usually monitor 19 or 68 but tend to keep the radio low or off when I have a charter out.

One More Drift, nice job out front. I heard of several other decent bass caught on spoons by us the last few days. Wait till the bunks get here and then I will be out front more. Did you spot any schools while you were out? There are plenty off Monmouth County right now but we may still be two or three weeks away from them making a good showing by us.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Capt. Alex we saw a couple of smaller schools tried to get some but no luck, you are correct other boats caught as well with some really heavy fish.Seas were just perfect and it looks like this weather pattern might hold for awhile,I will be back outfront this coming weekend I think it will only get better out there with each passing day + the elbow room was pure joy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm putting the wire line on in about a week and going to give the umbrellas a try. First time with the wire line trolling, can you guys give me any tips. I was figuring that i would work the shoreline along IBSP about a few hundred feet off shore working the drop-off at about 30' of water, in a ZigZag patters at the drop. does that sound like the right approach? any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks,

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
At what speeds do you troll for the stripers? I'd like to give it a shot? How deep should the spoons be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have never trolled other then power drifting for fluke :D

·
Registered
31,456 Posts
Slow as you can go and a few feet off the bottom or as deep as you can get them. Or however deep you mark fish.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
yup 3.0 - 4.0 knts if ya can .....

·
Registered
185 Posts
now w are on the topic- what are some of the best bunker spoons available. I didn't see any bunker schools off shore with binoculars last sat or sunday, hopefully soon. never trolled or fished with bum=nker spoons and the time has come.

jj

·
Registered
140 Posts
i'm gonna have to go out front i continue to have no luck in the bay. i was gonna try chunking bunker n.j. angler had a good article about fishing bunker heads, said it worked as good as livelining them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts