BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Captain of the Port (COTP) Sector Delaware Bay is notifying mariners that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has contracted with AgateConstruction to repair the Barnegat Inlet North Jetty that was damaged by Hurricane Sandy in October 2012. These repairs will be starting on orabout April 14, 2014 and could continue through November 2014. In order to maintain the safety of the boating public and the Agate Constructionworkers a safety zone may be established that encompasses the entire Barnegat Inlet.Within the Safety Zone No swimming, diving, fishing, mooring, nor anchoring are permitted. Vessels may only transit the zone one vessel at a timeat minimum speed necessary to maintain steerage. Passing or overtaking other transiting vessels is not permitted. Mariners wanting to transit thesafety zone with more than one vessel at a time must contact the Sector Delaware Bay Command Center 36 hours prior to the intended transittime at (215) 271-4807.Vessels needing to contact the on scene work barges can contact them on VHF Channel 16. Vessels should monitor VHF channel 16 for updatedinformation on the operation. If you have any questions regarding the contents of this bulletin, please contact the Waterways Management staffat (215) 271-4814 or the Situation Unit Controller at (215) 271-4807. Charts: 12323.​
This could be fun.

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
Vessels may only transit the zone one vessel at a time at minimum speed necessary to maintain steerage. Passing or overtaking other transiting vessels is not permitted.
If this is enforced, it could be an awfully long year on the water.

·
Registered
15,282 Posts
My god its bad enough the goverment has all the regulations in fine print you don't need to do the same thing here.

It looks like a real mess for those using that area this summer.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My god its bad enough the goverment has all the regulations in fine print you don't need to do the same thing here.

It looks like a real mess for those using that area this summer.
I cut and pasted it I cannot figure out how to make it bigger.Sorry
The Key word is " may ".

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't we just use the south cut and avoid the b.s.?
I would think that is preferable, however you would still have to go slow enough so as to not make a wake that will effect the work vessels. The key word in the notice is " may ". My read is that they will see if the boating public follows the rules of the road. If boats do not slow down or do not slow down soon enough to make minimal wake when passing the work vessels they will start to enforce this. It looks like they are putting the ball in our court to see if we will play nice and use some common sense.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Saturday afternoon, outgoing tide ripping, southeast wind, and the fog rolls in again... O boy.....

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
I would think that is preferable, however you would still have to go slow enough so as to not make a wake that will effect the work vessels. The key word in the notice is " may ". My read is that they will see if the boating public follows the rules of the road. If boats do not slow down or do not slow down soon enough to make minimal wake when passing the work vessels they will start to enforce this. It looks like they are putting the ball in our court to see if we will play nice and use some common sense.
Agreed. It'll be interesting next month to see where and how big this "safety zone" is.

...... a safety zone may be established that encompasses the entire Barnegat Inlet.​

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The safety zone covers the entire inlet from ol Barney out from N to S banks. I can't see this happening, BI is a busy inlet just imagine boat traffic stacked up waiting to get inline. Couldn't they have done this off season ? At night ? No fishing the inlet !! Damage from sandy ? hopefully they will also dredge it while they jam us up.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I would hope a repair would include dredging and fixing the north jetty. could never figure out why they left half of it submerged and never finished installing the north jetty when it was originally installed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We reached out to the Coast Guard to get more information on this and below is an update from that the Coast Guard that they asked us to help get out. They will be emailing us updates and we will be sure to share them as they come in.

From the Coast Guard:

Please keep in mind that implementation of the safety zone will depend on the how much shoaling remains in Barnegat Inlet during the North Jetty repair project. Through the end of March the US Army Corps government dredge MURDEN is working to remove the shoal in the inlet. Depending on how much shoal is removed, the safety zone may not be necessary at all.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has contracted Agate Construction to repair the Barnegat Inlet North Jetty that was damaged by Hurricane Sandy in October 2012. These repairs will be starting on or about April 14, 2014 and could continue through November 2014. In order to maintain the safety of the boating public and the Agate Construction workers a safety zone will be established that encompasses the entire Barnegat Inlet.

Within the Safety Zone, no swimming, diving, fishing, mooring, nor anchoring are permitted. Vessels may only transit the zone one vessel at a time at minimum speed necessary to maintain steerage. In other words, passing and overtaking other transiting vessels within the inlet is NOT permitted when the safety zone is in effect. Mariners wanting to transit the safety zone with more than one vessel at a time must contact the Sector Delaware Bay Command Center 36 hours prior to the intended transit time at (215) 271-4807.

Vessels needing to contact the on-scene tug can contact them on VHF Channel 16. Vessels should monitor VHF channel 16 for updated information on the operation. If you have any questions regarding the contents of this bulletin, please contact the Waterways Management staff at (215) 271-4814 or the Situation Unit Controller at (215) 271-4807.

U.S.C.G. Station Barnegat Light
(609) 494-2661

U.S.C.G. Sector Delaware Bay 24hr
(215) 271-4807

Agate Construction Main Office
(609) 624-9090

Local Notice to Mariners
www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=lnmDistrict&region=5

Federal Register Notice
www.federalregister.gov/

They will release a Broadcast notice to mariners on VHF marine radio and publish an update in the Local Notices to Mariners when the safety zone actually starts. Updates throughout the duration of the project will be by VHF radio and Local Notices to mariners.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I would hope a repair would include dredging and fixing the north jetty. could never figure out why they left half of it submerged and never finished installing the north jetty when it was originally installed.
There is nothing to figure out, it's not 'unfinished'. The N jetty was designed that way on purpose.

·
Registered
185 Posts
There is nothing to figure out, it's not 'unfinished'. The N jetty was designed that way on purpose.
No it wasn't. The company that rebuilt it last time went bankrupt and that is as far as they got. Their use to be a crane on the end for years that was a rust bucket from the salt. I think it was in the 70s but not sure.

The submerged portion is the original jetty. The rest was put on top of the original when rebuilt

Island beach use to go half way to the lighthouse. We would drive our camper over the rocks which were below sand level. there was also a lake out there that we use to swim in. This was back in the 60s

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.