BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recent Update On: Delaware River-Bay Dredging Project

Report contests Army Corps claims on river dredging: Read Full Article @
http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2012/01/report_contests_army_corps_cla.html -----"Excerpt": The current project would cover 103 miles of river channel from the mouth of the Delaware Bay to Philadelphia for about $300 million. However, since a 2-year moratorium was placed on earmarks early last year, stopping pet projects from passing through Congress for the 2011 and 2012 fiscal years, the project has not received any federal funding to move forward since the original $77 million it received. According to William B. McLaughlin, the director of government and public affairs for the Philadelphia Regional Port Authority, due to “opposition” from New Jersey only $22 million has been allocated to the project. New Jersey’s disapproval of the project has been well-documented, with the Christie administration filing an appeal with the U.S. Court of Appeals in May to overturn rulings by U.S. District Court judges in New Jersey and Delaware who dismissed New Jersey’s demand for new studies.
For Ellis and the advocacy groups against the project, blocking federal funding remains the main strategy for preventing the project from moving forward.
“It has survived over the last several years on earmarks that lawmakers have obtained,” said Ellis. “They’re going to be looking for other ways to hobble together cash.”
Currently, Pennsylvania remains the primary supporter of the project, committing $45 million as of last year. Ellis commented on Pennsylvania’s support versus New Jersey’s opposition, saying “essentially, from New Jersey’s perspective, Philadephia gets the port and New Jersey gets dumped on.”
For Pearsall and the Army Corps, even with the new analysis coming out, they remain confident that it is a worthwhile venture and that it’s time to start moving forward.
“We’re pretty confident in our report,” said Pearsall. “At some point, the time for study is over.”------

Reader Commentary:
This Delaware River is being dredged even as you read this, and has been for the past couple of months....daily....24/7....just north and south of the Delaware Memorial Bridge....we see it....and we hear it....as we observe the pipeline being towed back and forth every day...Who's kidding who??? What are they doing...studying as they go? What a bunch of BS...Just another snow job, smoke 'n mirrors, or whatever you want to call it....Government at work!!! Right!!!!!
Inappropriate? Alert us.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I see them dredging almost every day when I go across the Delaware bridge. I think I read somewhere that they will stop dredging during the spring because of the stripers spawning in the river. That would be a good thing if they do stop dredging during the spring but who knows what they will be doing during the spring.:huh: That is about right that PA receives the benefits from dredging while NJ gets dumped on.:naughty:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They need Funding...

NJ Governor & Democrats are blocking it...Bi partisan support's issue against it here in NJ...Pa doesn't have any marine interest other than shipping...I'm surprised the D.R.P.A. doesn't pay for this project with toll monies...they pay for everything else :please:...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dredging is an unpleasant necessity. I like to drive my car and boat with the fuel refined in local refineries. I even like getting those shipments of nice fresh fruits and vegetables in the winter.
We could have all that stuff and more shipped in by trucks and rail but that would cost us a lot more money and fill our already crowded roads with thousands of additional trucks a day. We can finally close that shipyard and all the river front industries and build more condos that won’t sell. I don’t know but I would guess a couple hundred thousand more jobs lost here but some people could move to another city with a deep harbor and get jobs there. I know Baltimore and New York wouldn’t mind. They are having their rivers deepened and that would help them pay for the work.

Next we can shut down all those nasty power plants.
Now were going green!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Old guy pepole just don't get it as my self a soon to be out of work oil worker that fished open boat charters 10 2 12 times a year wont be spending that $ now :thumbsdown: and I do apresiate sharon hill boycotting sun oil thank you

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Latest Info....

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2012/01/environmentalists_from_across.html - Environmentalists from across the nation tell Obama they are opposed to Delaware River dredging project...

Nearly 60 environmental organizations from across the country have placed their names on a letter to President Barack Obama expressing their opposition to deepen the Delaware River’s 102 mile long navigational channel.
The letter asks Obama not to fund future stages of the project.
“At best, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers predicts that this project will produce just $1.64 of benefit for every $1 spent,” the authors suggest. “The project does not come close to meeting your administration’s minimum criteria of returning $2.50 for each dollar invested to ensure that tax dollars are spent only on projects that will generate clear economic value to the country.”
Maya K. van Rossum, head of the Delaware Riverkeeper Network, observed one report “demonstrates that the project will actually produce a negative return on investment — it will cost taxpayers more money than the economic benefits that can possibly be produced.”
The letter writers include representatives of the Alabama Rivers Alliance, Float Fishermen of Virginia, Ohio Environmental Council, South Dakota Wildlife Federation and Tennessee Clean Water Network.
New Jersey’s federal representatives have opposed the project. The letter’s authors note that Pennsylvania’s congressional delegation is behind the project as well as creating a $74 million navigational pool for the Army Corps to use at its disposal.
The plan calls for the dredging of the river’s channel from 40 to 45 feet at a cost of $360 million. A 13-mile section of the river channel in the vicinity of Wilmington was deepened in 2010 using $30 million from Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett allocated $15 million in September to dredge approximately five miles of channel from north of the Delaware Memorial Bridge to Pedricktown.
Environmentalists asked a U.S. appeals court in Philadelphia earlier this month to shut down the project, citing pollution concerns that stirring up the sediment will cause along with allegations the Corps did not obtain required permits and public comment.
The three-judge panel did not indicate when it would rule.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Respondents...

I understand the sensitivities of those who either oppose or support this project. I have come to the conclusion that at some point the right thing will be done. I would like to see an honest environmental/financial depiction of how the completion of this project will invariably-("a quantity that does not vary") effect this most valuable resource in a positive way. I only know that at some point someone has got to pay for it, and that someone is the taxpayer and the people on either side of this battle who do not come out on top!

·
Registered
220 Posts
As pointed out several times in this chain of e-mails. The river is dredges 24/7. So what’s the big deal? There are a couple of big winners and one big loser if they deepen the river. If the river is deepened the oil companies will make more profit. The lightering company loses profits. Who cares? The river will continue to be dredged or the mouth of the river and the upper bay will fill up with silt. If you don’t believe that go boating above Conowingo Dam.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Both sides

I think that you need to look at both sides and meet in the middle. Does the river need to be deeper? Yes. Is it going to have a impact on the fish and other wildlife? Yes. You cant go into a project like this and hit it balls to the wall. I think that if you dredge a little, then give the sedimates time to filter out naturally the impact will not be as bad. Everything that has been spilled in that river is still there at the bottom. Its kind of like in the Gulf when they put that chemical on the oil to make it disappear. Who are they kidding. That just made it heavier then water so it would sink. As far as the dredged materials; My OPINION is that if PA. gains from this the most then PA. should take the most material. Just like in a car crash. Somebody is 80% at fault and somebody is 20%. And last; The gentlemen who is losing his job as a oil worker. We at the Carpenters Union are going to loss out on alot of hours that came from that refinary. However when that women took over there was a rumor that she was going to do this. Hopefully they find a buyer and you can keep your job.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Urgent Help Needed: Don’t Deepen the Delaware-Write the President Today!

Urgent Help Needed: http://www.delawareriverkeeper.org/act-now/urgent-details.aspx?Id=100 Urgent Help Needed

Don’t Deepen the Delaware-Write the President Today

Don’t Deepen the Delaware
Not Good for the River, Loser for the Taxpayer, Not needed for the Ports

We Need Your Letters Today To Stop the President and Congress From Bypassing the Earmark Prohibition
so they can throw hundreds of millions at this boondoggle.

January, 2012, a new expert Report Documenting that deepening is an economic loser for the taxpayer and not needed for the ports was releasedby the Delaware Riverkeeper Network, Taxpayers for Common Sense and the Water Protection Network. This new economic information adds to the wealth of documentation showing the many environmental and river harms deepening would inflict.

Pennsylvania Politicians, and now some from Delaware, are trying to finagle new funding for this bad project in a new effort to circumvent the prohibition on earmarks in Congress.

• Don’t let the Army Corps get away with their misrepresentations of facts;
  • Don’t let politically motivated politicians waste our precious tax dollars;
  • Don’t let deepening take jobs from those that rely upon the River and its bounty for their livelihoods

Write your Letter to the President and Congress today!
To learn more about the reports and review a copy click here.

Feel free to edit the letter as you see fit and then mark to send it into our offices, we will then be sure it gets to the President and all of the appropriate elected officials that need to see it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Army Corps Funds Deepening Despite Legal Challenges

Read entire article>”http://www.delawareriverkeeper.org/resources/PressReleases/pr_deepening_16.8_million.pdf .... Washington, D.C.: The Army Corps announced today $16.86 million for Delaware River deepening project using a “slush” fund created to circumvent the ban on earmarks passed last year......“It is disturbing that false and undocumented claims of jobs are allowed to rob families who depend upon a healthy River and Bay for their livelihood, like fishermen and oyster-men, simply because they don’t have the same political sway as the industry groups, the army corps and the ports pushing this wasteful and environmentally harmful project forward. In an era when the country is in major deficit, we should not be spending any taxpayer funds on projects that are known to be a loser, not a project that will choke the Delaware Estuary," said Brady Russell, Eastern PA Director, Clean Water Action!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
1 - 14 of 14 Posts