BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ICW behind Holgate, I'm not sure of the number on the marker because it is completely submerged on an aggressive outgoing tide. It's a red "nun" type, just west of the green triangle which is mounted on a crooked pole (which has been leaning for years by the way). If you are headed south from the Beach Haven area, it's the last red marker you'll pass before turning more westerly toward the old CC station and the Stink House. When I first saw it, I thought it was someone swimming, it looked like a head bobbing up and down from a distance. Upon closer inspection, the hook located on top of the buoy is what's bobbing up and down. I'm not sure what it does on an incoming, but outgoing it's a major hazard. I hope this gets fixed before someone wacks it at a high rate of speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
You can call the Coast Guard Station in Barnegat Light to report it. They are responsible for ICW repairs unless its in a private channel etc. Local townships usually maintain those. Or the next time your on the boat, report it to Coast Guard staion Atlantic City via channel 16.

I have a Parker 2310 WA. There should be a parker owners group in jersey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
TO QUick ask a question to the barn community, IS LE inlet going to be a mess this year? I saw it yesterday and it looked like a wall of white water across the channel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,862 Posts
I looking for a new boat in 23 to 25 range pilot house. I looking at parkers. I really like the pilot house models especially in nov and dec.

How does the parker compare to Dusky's and Grady whites? I mostly drift and on the hook. Looking to do trolling this fall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,270 Posts
Originally posted by TimC2520:
ICW behind Holgate, I'm not sure of the number on the marker because it is completely submerged on an aggressive outgoing tide. It's a red "nun" type, just west of the green triangle which is mounted on a crooked pole (which has been leaning for years by the way). If you are headed south from the Beach Haven area, it's the last red marker you'll pass before turning more westerly toward the old CC station and the Stink House. When I first saw it, I thought it was someone swimming, it looked like a head bobbing up and down from a distance. Upon closer inspection, the hook located on top of the buoy is what's bobbing up and down. I'm not sure what it does on an incoming, but outgoing it's a major hazard. I hope this gets fixed before someone wacks it at a high rate of speed.
Forwarding this on to Barner DJCoast. He's on the bouy tender setting the buoys. Don't get any better than that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Hey I called coast guard group barnegat light and told them of the problem, the guy on the phone said he was going to call the boat in the area and check it out. The bouy is 114 red can complete under, pops up from boat wake .be careful at nite in this area
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,017 Posts
I will check in to it fellas. Listen, if you are between Indian River Delaware and Shark River NJ, thats my AOR. If you call a station or report it on the radio we will never get it, (too many middle men, so:

Call 609-898-6987>> U.S.C.G. Aids To Navigation Team, Cape May. We will take care of any discrepancies you call in, its our job.

We have the second biggest AOR in the Coast Guard, and other discrepancies pending, so don't think we are ignoring it if we don't fix it right away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,017 Posts
BTW the the leaning lights we can't fix, we notify the big boys (pile drivers), and its a while before something like that is fixed, but we will work the lights and fix or relace the dayboards if necessary.

Have you guys noticed how many new dayboards we replaced this spring in the ICW, from CM to Manasquan. There shouldn't be any issues with dayboards for a while, unless a storm does some damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,335 Posts
Originally posted by Fishin4ever:
TO QUick ask a question to the barn community, IS LE inlet going to be a mess this year? I saw it yesterday and it looked like a wall of white water across the channel?
I have a 21 CC and haven't had an issue with either inlet at any tide. If it looks like a wall of white water it's probably too rough to go outside anyway. I tried to go out on a day that was less than appropriate and ended up going vertical with my OB grabbing air. I won't tempt fate like that again. The south side is easy you can identify the bar by the breakers. The north side has about 6 ft at dead low and I stay close to Holgate. If you don't know the way just watch others that's how I learned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
I really think we are going to have some major incidents in the LE this year. On sat we were in my fathers 45 VIKING and took a roller right over the bow. We were dead in the middle of the marked LE inlet channel, and we had only 4 feet under the boat. Did anyone see the sand that is totally out of the water?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,006 Posts
Originally posted by me-and-fishin:
We were dead in the middle of the marked LE inlet channel, and we had only 4 feet under the boat. Did anyone see the sand that is totally out of the water?
Yes that is a "new" Tuckers island, and at low tide it's several feet above the water line. YIKES!!!

As for the inlets, the BH Inlet (all the way to the left) is passable, though don't know the best route yet this yr. HI tide and all boats can pass. LE Inlet is for crap, and there are 2 spots near 4' at low tide. And one can is way off, don't let it suck you off course.

The "new" inlet is straight out at near a 175 compass heading. I did not see water below 10' all the way through. You want to go through just east of where the sailboat sank. Or keep that new red bouy off to starboard, and head 180. This has been used for many yrs, and right now I think you will find it totally passable. Just put the track into your gps and use it once you believe that LEI is too low!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Re-bait, where is that "new channel"? is it in the middle of the inlet, like the old F bouy days, or is it like the 80's were we when sideways to the sea for 1/3 of a mile. I took a wave broadside in 89 in LE in my 28 topaz. If I had gas, id be in trouble. This new bar building across is going to get some people this year. On Sat it looked like the Oregon inlet in NC!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,006 Posts
Like the other two inlets you have to know these like our hand, to run them safely! SO don't rely on this...

Basically it's straight out through old f. Look for the shoal on the left and follow it out. It hooks you right to left. Go look at low tide and see if you can find a line you are comfortable with.


I could pull a few numbers, but you are better off checking yourself and put a track/waypoints in first

[ 05-30-2006, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Re-Bait ]
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top