BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday, September 23, 2004: Waves: Inconsistent 2-4 foot easterly ground swell. Water clarity: Excellent; clean and enough swell to keep it stirred a bit.
I?ve been seriously busy with mulleting ? and, yes, some personal-time fishing mixed in (a lot mixed in).
I have reports of super weakfishing in Barnegat Bay and very good trouting in Little Egg Harbor area. Drifting worms or jumping sassies near the bottom works well. Down side is the very light weakie action near the inlets (Barnegat and Little Egg).
In Holgate, the only weakfish I detected were in the wash right at dark last night where you could see the mullet flare and hear that classic weakfish pop sound ? almost like a slurp, as they suck in baitfish.
Speaking of Holgate it was hell on the wing yesterday. The black flies were so bad that it was near horror level for darker vehicles, which were totally covered by the marauders. I was ravaged ? forgetting to bring long pants along. The black flies are ankle gnawers so pants really help. As do chestwaders -- but with air temps well into the 80s that was a tough proposition.

The LBI bass bite really slowed yesterday after Tuesday?s Island-wide hyper-bassing -- on poppers and Rat L Traps. The problem was a slowdown in the schools of bait. Not that some stripers weren?t taken ? I know of a few from town (Beach Haven) and Holgate ? but the go was very slow. I had zero, though I can now tell you with utter certainty that cow-faced stingrays attack Wildeye jigs with a passion. I had two on and got one in. They were going after my plastic as if it was a chocolate éclair.
I had fluke in the Holgate Rip using small bunker ? which I netted by the loadful (releasing them for lack of usefulness ? at least in numbers exceeding a thousand bunker a throw.)
Don?t even try to envision the size of the baby bluefish schools in the inlets. Monstrous pods of what look like bunker or mullet have been thrown on by cast netters and the net-busting take of two- to three-inch mini-snappers is something I?ve never seen before. Astounding. The down side is even the mullet schools are now getting an annoying quota of interloping blues. The blues are so small they?re actually running with the mullet for protection in numbers. The mullet aren't wild about this partnership.
Warning: Folks walking the back mudflats in Holgate are getting bitten around the ankles by ferocious something-or-others. I?m talking weeping bites that itch so bad at night you want to simple scratch down to the bone to make it go away. I?m told the culprit is actually a parasite which comes from bird droppings. I kid you not. Nasty biting stuff, which will disappear as the weather cools.
Boat fluking off Barnegat Inlet picked up yesterday but is still not at pre-wind levels. Try the HC Lumps and north of the Tires. There are fluke in both inlets but the size in way down.
More later today at www.webspawner.com/users/jmann2002

·
Registered
789 Posts
Excellent report jaymann. Did you ever try a pair of breathable waders? Not quite as comfy as wet wading when its hot, but they do give your legs some protection from the critters.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Jay, much thanks for the report. That snapper mullet thing has been going on for years now but like you said it's more pronounced this time around. Makes you think there is some serious stalking happening. As for the bone bite, might wanta dawn yer rubbers nxt time :D
Look foreward to your reports via the Sandpaper, your wit is outstanding but your web site/sites have driven me to not looking at them. I'll stick with the Sandpaper.
Keep on keeping on, you are appreciated by all who fish the island & it's bays

1 - 4 of 4 Posts