BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was really just trying to catch a dang Doggie.....
And ended up with these. I went to LBI to check out Fish Heads since they are sponsering the KJS Memorial. Really only wanted to spend some quality time with my 3 yr old Jonah and let him see a shark up close. I picked up 3 bunker and went to one beach and got booted off since it was a "non-fishing" beach. ( Gotta love Jersey rules). Already got the pass for the day for my wife and I so I had to move everything to the only street fishable. Fairly POed I set up with little expectation and cast out one rod. Swimmers were 40 yrds to my left and a Jetty 40 yrds to my right. There were a half dozen or so guys fishing the pocket. Bait sat about 45 minutes while I showed Jonah sand fleas and we made some sand castles. Rebaited and set up my other rod. Casted both out and before I could get back to playing the reel started screaming. Beached this 33" Gator.

Baited back up and back to playing in the sand. Missed three pickups before getting this 31"

After releasing the second gator I waited at the waters edge for two yahoos who drifeted out of the swimming area and were bogie boarding directly in front of me about 20 yrds shy of where I was droping my chunk. After 10 minutes of waiting and stareing I let one rip about 15 feet next to the guy closest to my hole. and the life guard finally wistled him back. I put the rod in the holder and just turned around for a minute then took a peak at the tip just in time to see the bump bump ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Bowed up into something nice. Right away I knew it was a bigger fish cuz I had drag set at 13lbs and she peeled off a good 30 yrds before I stopped her. After a minute or two my wife shaid she could hear me giggle as I relised what I had. Ten minutes later I turned around with my fish I just beached with a crowd of applause. 43"

As nice as striper tastes we had a 8hr ride back home to Nawth Cakilaki and it was one of the best feeling I had to let her go with everyone watching. And answering the questions as to why I spent so much time putting her back and why didn't I keep her. Took the time to make sure she was healthy enough to not feed the sharks, and she went back cuz she is gonna make me more fish to catch in the future.

Put your finger in there buddy!!!!! Oh and take a good look at my wifes photography skills. She really knows how to improve a picture with good backdrops.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Gilly - really cool pictures...

It is always a great feeling to have it all witnessed, especially by ones that don't fish...I usually get the response from beach folks: 'I can't believe that there are fish that close to the beach'.

PS: I would have traded you the 2 sandsharks that I caught this weekend for those gators and striper....

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Your a fish magnet Steve,, nice pics and report.....

Take care buddy,,,

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Gilly, didn't anyone explain to you that you cannot catch stripers during the day in July? It's against the rules. :D Nice fish. Your son must have been stoked.

By the way, do you have any more pictures of the girl with the camo bikini? :)

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Nice Gilly - I forgot I had a trip with Harv for fluke.

You gotta love it!! Jonah must have had a blast as well as you!!!!!

43" in July in NJ while fishing with your son - that is AWESOME my friend!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Great job Gilly, Your son is hooked I guess now. bragging to his buddys about his DAD. Next you'll be having to buy him his first rod. Now he won't want a Doggie but another Large.

By the way Gilly I just got the OM rod you recomended to me. Sorry I didn't take off work to meet you at IBSP Saturday.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Great job Gilly, Your son is hooked I guess now. bragging to his buddys about his DAD. Next you'll be having to buy him his first rod. Now he won't want a Doggie but another Large.
I wish all posts had pics like yours, Thank the wife for us.

By the way Gilly I just got the OM rod you recomended to me. Sorry I didn't take off work to meet you at IBSP Saturday.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brian no problem. I got your message after we left the beach. Catch up with ya next time.

Charlie, Good luck with the OM I think you will be pleased with it as a heaver. I had brought mine incase you decided to show up but I understand about work.

Doyal she was about 14. Look over Jonahs shoulder in the pics of the blue fish though. If you look close you can see a nice surprise under the white top;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Non-fishing beach?

You had a great day, Gilly21!
I've been fishing LBI for 30 years and have never heard of a non- fishing beach. Where were you asked to leave? What street was it?:confused:
People at Jingles bait shop are going to want to know about this.
Congratulations on that "nice" bass.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Congrats again on such a great day. Thats funny I saw you at P&S, glad to be back "home" :)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
gord,

I am really at a cross road here, but I will give it away anyway. I was at Surf City at 17th street first and was told nicely by the guard that in Surf city the only fishing beach is 24th. The last one before the next town North beach. We had already bought the day pass so we were stuck. Turned out to be a good move anyway. After 5pm you can fish any of the beaches.

REDCHEROKEE,

PLEASE DELEAT IF NESSASSARY> I am not trying to burn a spot here but it was my only chioce in realestate. Personally I really don't care cuz I wont be back till NOV anyway to fish the tourny. But I don't want to piss off anyone else

·
Registered
48 Posts
Gilly,

Thanks for the info. I fish further south in Peahala Park (part of
Long Beach Township), we fish any time of the day, anywhere except
between the lifeguard flags. Surf City's got their own rules.
For you, that day, it was a great move.

Gord

·
Registered
189 Posts
WOW, Bud... Jonah must have been FREAKIN!!! LOL
Love ya...:p :p :D

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Gilly21 said:
gord,

I am really at a cross road here, but I will give it away anyway. I was at Surf City at 17th street first and was told nicely by the guard that in Surf city the only fishing beach is 24th. The last one before the next town North beach. We had already bought the day pass so we were stuck. Turned out to be a good move anyway. After 5pm you can fish any of the beaches.

REDCHEROKEE,

PLEASE DELEAT IF NESSASSARY> I am not trying to burn a spot here but it was my only chioce in realestate. Personally I really don't care cuz I wont be back till NOV anyway to fish the tourny. But I don't want to piss off anyone else
LMAO - I used to guard 16th & 18th st!!! Thats where i got my 47lber in 98

1 - 20 of 24 Posts