BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Have had good luck 18" 30lb. floro attached to to PP with 150lb.spro swivel.For plugs I like minimal stretch for bass on swimming plugs.For Bait 36" of 30lb. floro for eels, clam or other live bait.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Unless your talking about Fly fishing then you may want to post on the fly fishing forum.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
When using a bucktail in the rips I will use a piece of 30lb floro that will be no longer then 12" in length. I feel that I have more line to lure contact with the shorter leader in this cituation.

When using a plug or popper off the beach or jetty I like to use of 50lb leader that goes anywhere from 24-36". I feel the longer the leader the better my plug works, especially when using a heavier line to leader set up!

And when I'm fishing around bridges and banks I like you use 25lb floro. I use this with small jigs and smaller plugs. I fee that the lighter the leader back there the more action you will get out of smaller lures.

Also use a small spro swivel with the ligher leader set-ups! ;)

I hope this helps you out ;)

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
So much depends on what you are fishing with and what for.

I know everyone swears by floro but I can honestly say I haven't seen one time where it gave me any advantage.

The arguments go on and on about floro. Fish can't see it. Then you hear that the bite is on the 30 pound floro and they won't hit the 50 or 80.

It doesn't matter if the invisable man weighs 150 or 500 pounds. If he is invisable then he is invisable.

I use Stren mono for leaders and will go from 15 pound for flounder and weakies up to 35 for stripers. I prefer a limp leader and use a bulk spool of filler line that I keep in my tackle bag. I change leaders constantly because that is the part of your line that will take the most abuse. Even it the fish don't scrape it up with their teeth, gills or scales the knot will feel stress.

Catch a fish and snap on a new leader. Fair trade and gives me a lot of confidence with each fish hooked.

Another factor is rod type. I have seen some anglers who have a five foot leader on a swivel with a very light rod. They can't real in any closer than five feet. With the bend of the rod they have a hard time holding the fish at the surface. This will also cause an angler to real in as close as he can. The swivel will jam at the tip and after a few times the tip of the rod will break.

Offshore fishing may be another story but inshore fishing is ueually done in semi clear to downright cloudy water conditions. It's difficult enough to get a fish to find the bait or lure let alone have it see the leader.

I know what a leader is. You know what a leader is. The fish don't have a clue.

Back when I fished with my father we did great using 40 pound test mono that looked as thick as spaghetti and hung like a slinky stretching out. The fish haven't evolved anything over the past forty years that tells them to watch out for leaders.

I have fished with people who swear by floro. I can honestly say that I have nerver seen one time where it made any difference in what they caught and what I caught.

Sometimes we out think ourselves. We can take something as simple as fishing and turn it into brain surgery.

I am just going by my own experiences and I can only comment on what I have seen. Give me three foot mono leaders and give me lots of them. :D

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Chunking... I'd like to share my view and experience with you, cause we disagree.

Case in point was a night trip last year when I was the only one on a three man boat casting flouro into a dock light at active fish. The other two guys were outfished 10 to 1, and had me uni to uni tying flouro leaders on their jigs as fast as I could whip them out. The fact that flouro is less visible and has a lower light refraction underwater is indisputable...

The stiffness of flouro has made casting and working topwaters much easier for me... it is truly rare for a treble hook to hang up on a flouro leader while limp mono can become a hassle sometimes.

Flouro is thicker and rounder than an equal test mono and provides considerably more abrasion resistance, especially when fishing around the rocks when jetty fishing... it also helps to have it when you are hoisting a fish you are going to release onto the rocks. Less time changing leaders means more time fishing.

And, just out of curiosity, how would you have any idea how many fish do not bite you, or get spooked, because you are not using it..

And, of course, it helps stimulate the economy because it is so DAMN expensive :D :D , but I use it anyway...

just my 2 cents.. plus a little.... ;)

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Hey Tuna.

I don't know what fish don't bite. Last year two of us were plugging for stripers in the shallows. Sun was still up and the other guy was real good. He was using flouro with a blood knot and I was using mono off a snap swivel. Two fish to his one.

I just don't understand why we think that fish should be spooked by a leader or swivel. The fish have no idea that we are trying to catch them.

Their entire world is a prism of reflecting light. We use lures that reflect light so the fish will see it. Now we are to believe that light reflecting off a thin piece of mono will spook them.

I'm not against change. I tried the new super lines and love them. I can see right away the effect these lines have had for me. I have tried flouro and didn't notice any change in my catch rate.

I have tried little tests where I fish for a period of time with mono and note my catch. Then fish with flouro and compare. I just don't see where it has ever changed my catch rate.

I would just like one person to be able to explain to me why when a long time ago we fished with dacron line and fifty pound mono leaders we caught lots of fish. Now we need invisable line. What happened to the fish. Who told them. What lesson did they learn. How did they get so smart that we need stealth to get them to take a hook.

I don't tell anyone not to use flouro. If it gives you confidence then by all means use it. You say tomato and I say fish on. :D :D :D

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Feesh on brother :D Let's do a scientific survey together once the bay melts... my place or yours!

[ 01-28-2004, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: fmTuna ]

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Hey Tuna.

Remember in the 70's when the Clout lure was the thing everyone needed to catch weakies. Tackle shops couldn't keep them in. Can't even find one now.

Then it was the butt ugly yellow line. Fish jumped in the boat when you used it.

I'm sure that some of us can remember a few other got to have it to catch fish inventions.

We are a trendy bunch of consumers. :D :D :D

My place. I'm afraid to cross bridges. :D

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
The electric frog.

The Banjo Minnow

The Orange Flounder Sinker

... or anything on Roland Martin's show (couldn't resist.. dude's got more for sale than the Sear catalog)

Don't actually OWN any of them.... but loved to laugh at the ads....

I am a very basic bucktail/jighead/redfin kinda guy..

OK, your place... I'll start making da samiches

1 - 12 of 12 Posts