BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, wanted to thank the guys on this forum. I've been posting/reading now for a bit and I've learned more from you all than I ever would. Normally I would have just bought some gear, given myself a few new piercings, and cursed the sport. But you guys have been incredibly helpful.

I wanted to piggyback on the "Prepping for Blues" post a few days ago. I wanted to ask about leader set-ups.

I was thinking of doing fly line to about 7' to 9' of 20 lb. Then a 6" or so piece of 50 lb for a bite guard (in case an early blue shows up). Few questions:

• What knot/connection for the 20lb to 50lb? I feel like those lines would be pretty cumbersome for a double surgeons.
  • Normally I like to do non-slip loop knot to give the fly more action but that sounds hard with 50lb. Do any of you guys use snap swivels?

I'm curious as to what you guys normally do for leaders. I know that for bass this doesn't matter. But when i'm out dredging the bottom of the back back this weekend, I don't know if i'll get lucky with a flatty or blue or toothy critter.

What you guys got? Any of you guys loyal to tapered leaders?

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never saw the knot website. pretty awesome.

I'm more asking about what guys do for their set-ups. I would do a loop-to-loop from fly line to 15 or 20lb leader. But the connection to the 50lb bite guard and then the connecton of 50lb to fly is where I was concerned. That's why I asked about the surgeons and loop kots with the 50lb.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
For connections to the fly I have been using Normans Speed Clips. Have never had one fail and you can change a fly in seconds and I don't have to dig out my glasses to do it. Cabelas sells them. They come in 2 sizes, a fly size and a plug size. I use both with equal success. If I know blues are around I usually go to a short trace of wire. I guess you could crimp the 50 to the fly. A Baja knot would also work for the 50 to the fly.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I use the Lefty Kreh saltwater leader, it will turn over any heavy fly, and casts well. The butt section is half of the leader: loop knot for loop to loop connection to fly line (I use 5 turn surgeon's), 5 ft. of 50 lb., 1 ft. of 40 lb., 1 ft. of 30 lb., 1 ft. of 20 lb., and a 2 ft. tippet. I use blood knots (barrel knot) to connect the sections. This is an excellent leader, and has served me well for many years. I also use it for fresh water fishing, using a 20 lb. butt section.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can see that leader turning over nicely. Basically saltwater-version of my trout leader as well.

Are direct tying to fly? Snap/clip? Loop knot?

I prefer the loop knot for the action it gives but when you are searching for fish this early in the year and you don't know what works, the clips/snaps are so convenient.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I either use a piece of 20 lb to 30 lb fluorocarbon 5-7 feet long with a loop to loop connection to the fly line or furled fluorocarbon leader about 5 feet long with a the 20 to 30 lb tippet around 5 feet long. Loop to loop connection with leader to fly line and loop to loop connection between tippet and leader. I usually direct tie the leader to the fly with an improved clinch. Need to brush up on the loop knot, haven't used snaps or clips. Might give that a try this year.

·
Registered
13,766 Posts
I use the Lefty Kreh saltwater leader, it will turn over any heavy fly, and casts well. The butt section is half of the leader: loop knot for loop to loop connection to fly line (I use 5 turn surgeon's), 5 ft. of 50 lb., 1 ft. of 40 lb., 1 ft. of 30 lb., 1 ft. of 20 lb., and a 2 ft. tippet. I use blood knots (barrel knot) to connect the sections. This is an excellent leader, and has served me well for many years. I also use it for fresh water fishing, using a 20 lb. butt section.
with sinking lines I've only been using straight 2-lb mono or floro, but I'm going to try this leader setup this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts