BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a ravenous reader of fishing magazines. Since I am a print buyer for clients, I get comp issues of just about every fishing magazine I ever did business with, so a stuffed mailbox at work during the last and first week of the month are pretty regular occurances.

My friends are the same way... and the magazines I don't get, I end up trading for every month.

Learning something new is a regular occurance, so I'd thought I'd throw something I picked up this month, and see if anybody else scored a new tip or factoid that they would like to share too... just add on!

All flourocarbon is not created equal... but do you know why?

It has to do with the refractive index of the saltwater and the respective flourocarbon materials used in making the leader. The closer the index, the less visible it is. (Saltwater is about 1.33) If you are using a lower grade flouro leader that is not 100% flourocarbon, and it gets nicked or slightly abraded, it may actually shine in the water (from the other materials in it) and make it a fish DE-tractant... with a higher refractive index of the mono you are using the more expensive flouro to replace!

I always knew why I used flouro, but I never knew the science behind it.. now I do!

Waddayagot?

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I'm an Avid reader too, found this in the Library.

Saturdays, when our schedule allows I like to take my girls to the library . To get them out and off the computer or I pod. While there I took a moment to check out if they had any resources about fishing. Found this book, and I can't seem to put it down.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I am a ravenous reader of fishing magazines. Since I am a print buyer for clients, I get comp issues of just about every fishing magazine I ever did business with, so a stuffed mailbox at work during the last and first week of the month are pretty regular occurances.

My friends are the same way... and the magazines I don't get, I end up trading for every month.

Learning something new is a regular occurance, so I'd thought I'd throw something I picked up this month, and see if anybody else scored a new tip or factoid that they would like to share too... just add on!

All flourocarbon is not created equal... but do you know why?

It has to do with the refractive index of the saltwater and the respective flourocarbon materials used in making the leader. The closer the index, the less visible it is. (Saltwater is about 1.33) If you are using a lower grade flouro leader that is not 100% flourocarbon, and it gets nicked or slightly abraded, it may actually shine in the water (from the other materials in it) and make it a fish DE-tractant... with a higher refractive index of the mono you are using the more expensive flouro to replace!

I always knew why I used flouro, but I never knew the science behind it.. now I do!

Waddayagot?

Good post.

When I have meetings for work that are 2+hours away- I like to get there sometimes 2 hours early....to avoid any traffic. When that happens, I end up at the local library or Barnes and Noble - reading any and everything I can about boats, fishing, diving, etc.

If I retain 2% of it, I would be much smarter:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is a great thread. I have learned so much from just looking at pics in mags it's unbelievable. Next time someone posts a pic, check out the background, lures, rods, way ballys are rigged, size of squid on bars, you'll be amazed at what you can see

·
Registered
428 Posts
This is a great thread. I have learned so much from just looking at pics in mags it's unbelievable. Next time someone posts a pic, check out the background, lures, rods, way ballys are rigged, size of squid on bars, you'll be amazed at what you can see
I absolutely agree. The pics Barners post of their catch also proves to be very informative if you look around!

As for the magazines, i cut out all the articles i ever read related to what i fish for. I file and re-read over the winter and prior the the specific season.

Frank

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I used to have subscriptions to lots of the locale publications. They were great when starting out fishing for new species. They seemed to get repetitive year after year with simular articles. They ones written by a captian are great but generally after a couple years of subscriptions you get the message.

Now I read message boards. I learn more from the "did anyone ever try" or "what if you" threads. A lot of unorthodox methods burried in posts that are outside of the box but abosolutley work great. One example of messageboards being great for learning is I just learned today the difference in floro ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts