BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the AC Boat Show on Saturady and it seemed like every boat now has blue led's for cockpit lights. I would like to have the same look using my current lights. My courtesy lights use bulb 906, is there a direct led replacement thats made for the marine environment?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Do a google search - you should find plenty of options. Everything you see there is generally LED and isn't as expensive as you may think...

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
Surprised they aren't using red lights to preserve night vision :huh:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Blue and Green both also preserve night vision - but I believe red it better.

Blue just looks cooler! :D

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone coverted from incandescent to led using the same fixtures? How were your results?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I replaced my cockpit lights bulbs with LEDs 3 years ago. I also added a couple LED lights under the gunnels as well. No problems or complaints so far. I got everything I needed from SuperbrightLED.com Cheap and easy project.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Plenty of places to buy LEDs that fit right into your incandescent socket. So many that it's hard to tell the good from the bad. Make sure you get LEDs that have a "constant current driver" circuit. They will last forever, and don't cost much more than the cheap ones that use a simple resistor circuit for the driver. Those wont last!

If no sponsors carry what you need check out http://store.marinebeam.com/

I have never bought from them as I build my own circuits, but they seem to know their stuff more than most places on the net.

Superbrightleds.com as Easy said have cheap bulbs too...but I know not everything they sell is top notch. Great for the $$ though.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Blue and Green both also preserve night vision - but I believe red it better.

Blue just looks cooler! :D
Red is better. Red light produces "visual purple" in the eyes which enables you to see shapes and forms better at night. In the old navy,Deck Watchstanders at night had to put red goglgles on for 1/2 before reporting to their watch station.The red goggles allowed the eyes to secreat this change in the eyes. The only drawback was if your were exposed to bright light after secreating visual purple,it would quickly dissapate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Read somewhere about a trend towards getting away from the red for deck lites. Seems the potential exists that they can be mistaken for nav. lights.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Copied from http://stlplaces.com/night_vision_red_myth/

Conclusions:

• No matter what your color choice it must be fully adjustable for intensity.
  • If you need the fastest dark adaptation recovery and can adjust to the limitations, or everyone in your group is using night vision equipment then blue-green.
  • If you must see detail (reading a star chart, or instrument settings) and can lose peripheral vision (see note 1), then a very long wavelength red at a very low level. Red really only has an advantage at very low levels (were the night blind spot is very obvious).
  • A general walking around light so that you don't trip over the tripod, knock over equipment or bump into people, then blue-green with enough red added to get rid of the night blind spot, or maybe just use white. Blue-green at higher brightness also works very well and at a lower intensity than white.
  • If you need to see color and detail then likely the best choice is the dimmest white light for the shortest amount of time.
  • If you wonder why no one else has drawn these conclusions look at the dashboard of most cars. The markings are large, the pointers are large and an orange-red (a compromise, for certain "color blind" persons) and at night it is edge lit with blue-green filtered fully intensity adjustable light.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I use a Red/White switchable LED T-Top light. Red works best if you need to maintain strict nightvision.

I also have Blue under Gunnel LED Lighting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts