BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got online to post about the new lead melter that I got in the mail yesterday.I got a little distracted on the dry dock .Well I plugged it in and added some lead.after what seemed like 15 minutes or so I had molten lead. i added some more skimmed the top and poured a few 10 oz. banks, one at a time with a ladle, poured a few 12 oz. works like a charm. Took a few ladles at a time out for a little less to melt at start up.I'll be making up some jigs soon.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
Hi guys, was thinking of making my own sinkers myself. What brand & were to get molds from? Thanks

Haig-CA
I have found that the Do-IT molds work the best. Little or no flash, and the sinkers release the easiest.

I have picked up a few at Cabellas. The price is just about the same everywhere, and I didn't have to pay shipping.

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
I got online to post about the new lead melter that I got in the mail yesterday.I got a little distracted on the dry dock .Well I plugged it in and added some lead.after what seemed like 15 minutes or so I had molten lead. i added some more skimmed the top and poured a few 10 oz. banks, one at a time with a ladle, poured a few 12 oz. works like a charm. Took a few ladles at a time out for a little less to melt at start up.I'll be making up some jigs soon.:thumbsup:
What I've found on some molds for smaller items is the mouth where the lead is poured is small. I've taken a dremal with small sanding drum and made that opening larger. Take it easy, you don't want to remove to much. I know if got it right if I don't have to many bad poured items. I've found if I don't do this on stuff like flutter jigs or cannon ball sinkers you have to get the mold real hot to get an even pour.

Check out terminal tackle for molds, I've found them to be priced fair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.