BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a post about odd ball fluke baits that don't just work, but work great. Here's a couple I've had a lot of luck with when fished on a bucktail or squid skirt leadhead.

Strips from fresh caught Hickory Shad

Shedder Crab

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
One day when the bite was crazy I ran out of bait. Cut the sleeves off my T-shirt and cut them into strips. Bite never slowed. They just wanted something waving on my bucktail. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One day when the bite was crazy I ran out of bait. Cut the sleeves off my T-shirt and cut them into strips. Bite never slowed. They just wanted something waving on my bucktail. :thumbsup:
Must have been splattered with pizza sauce from Macs. :)

·
Registered
19,485 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
salmon belly tuna belly Spanish mackerel are good baits also

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Sand Shark tail strips, chicken strips soaked in fish oil,sea robin strips ,needlefish,nightcrawlers all have worked and I'm still experimenting on some others

·
Registered
110 Posts
I cut 4" strips off a red and white leather Nike sneaker and squirted some sheddar crab oil on them. Put them on a bucktail and they worked great, I even caught a few weakfish as well.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've been experimenting with lures. Not better than the usual stuff but have caught on a redfish magic (like a spinner bait) and erie dearie in shallow water. No luck on an attempted bluefish plug behind a small trolling weight - except for blues. Tried a 'bama rig too. Largest blue fish last yr. Learned it is not fun with a lively blue in the boat and 4 free jig hooks flying around.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I always seem to get my biggest fluke of the year in November on a schoolbus bomber when trying for bass. It kills me to throw a 20+ inch fluke back. Now when I'm trying to get fluke in the surf I cant seem to get a good sized one.:huh:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
EELS ... seen MANY fluke caught on eels -in the Rips area in NOV.+DEC while Striper fishing. Keepers + TB's ..some of which were actually smaller than the eels !

Squid strips sprayed with WD-40 ... They would follow the 'oil 'slick to the baited hook.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been experimenting with lures. Not better than the usual stuff but have caught on a redfish magic (like a spinner bait) and erie dearie in shallow water. No luck on an attempted bluefish plug behind a small trolling weight - except for blues. Tried a 'bama rig too. Largest blue fish last yr. Learned it is not fun with a lively blue in the boat and 4 free jig hooks flying around.
I tried something like a Road Runner with a big willow leaf blade on it a few years back. It caught flounder, but not enough to use it full time.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I cut 4" strips off a red and white leather Nike sneaker and squirted some sheddar crab oil on them. Put them on a bucktail and they worked great, I even caught a few weakfish as well.
If i ever find myself stranded in the swamps of Jersey and starving to death, I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
ERIE DEARIE is a helleva good lure for fluke tipped with almost anything

1 - 20 of 32 Posts