BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Sat. and had to go through the small kings to get acouple keepers. Not complaining about getting over 30 and only keeping 5. All five i kep were over 12 inches. After i was done someone else moves down later and the first six he caught 9 inches or less all went in the cooler, just had to vent, let the little ones go.........

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
keppy sorry to hurt your feelings but I keep every king/mullet I catch. I cut the heads off all and fillet the biger ones for me and chunk the smaller ones for bait. You aint ever gonna find a better bait then fresh monkey noggin or steak. And on top o dat you know how fresh it be when ya catch it yer self.:D

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Gilly last weekend I had a huge run on a whole king, but I was plugging also and by the time I ran to the rod...bye bye :( , I was in the exact same whole that a 15lb striper was caught the night before, other than that I don't keep them for eating, and I also see people walk off with bucketfulls, but when a fisherman uses one or two for some live or fresh bait there aint nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey Gil, couple for bait OK but a bucket of infints? don't get me wrong price of bait, gas and tackle but there isn't that much meat on a 12 inch or better kingie. By the way nice pics from LBI , will be headed up there this weekend.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I never really catch too many so when I get a few I'm a happy camper. Thems be the best tasting fishis. No wonder stripers and drums like em so much. Funny how they got so many names though. Sea mullet, Kings, whiting, sea monkeys, hard heads, and GOOD EATS.:D

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I like eating the kings, but the little ones are to much work for the little bit of meat. I just chop off the heads and tails (heads are kept for bait), clean and onto the bbq whole. It's kind of like picking crabs and mmm good. However, I will keep a couple of small ones for bait, but only what I'll use.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Greg, that signature is awesome, surfcasting is an underground world when it comes to fishing....those who know......know.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
DJ COAST said:
Greg, that signature is awesome, surfcasting is an underground world when it comes to fishing....those who know......know.
Yep, I've been reading Striper Chronicles (especially since I've been to busy to get out) and that passage just seemed to sum it all up. I'd love to make a trip to Block Island, although I'm sure it not like it was back in the day. However, something about climbing down cliffs and climbing up on a rock to fish for cows sounds like an adventure I'd enjoy. Will need to leave the wife home for this one!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rhino, i'm the same guy that gave you the kingie at strathmere. hated to give that one away...........................

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I would have to agree on three things here, one Kingfish are very good eating,very good bait and it doesn't hurt to release the smaller ones as is the case with any species..Although I don't think their stocks are in any trouble at this time but as we found out it doesn't take much for things to change in a hurry..In fact I believe the NJ State record Kingfish has been broken a couple times over the last few years...Which is a good thing...

And here is a question mainly to any fishermen that freguent IBSP & North, have you had any luck Kingfishing there in the park or North of there ? I know that LBI can be just a outstanding place to fish for them,as evidence of the picture I took above.I locked into a silly bite with them one day,but never really here of any reports of them north of Barnegat Inlet.. But points south all the way down thru Cape May County
is thick with them in the summer..
Thanks,,,

·
Banned
13,499 Posts
Steve, we tried for em at IBSP last summer when fishing was slow. Plenty of Croakers but we didn't get any Kingies. Down south you can catch coolers full!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Red_Cherokee said:
Steve, we tried for em at IBSP last summer when fishing was slow. Plenty of Croakers but we didn't get any Kingies. Down south you can catch coolers full!
thats because they herd stories about you,and keep clear of you'r area!!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hey Strikes, what kind of plug is that with the little green thingee and what looks like a worm??? ;) Joe

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I get into kings about twice a year up in Seaside Park area. When they do show they are bigger ones.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Red_Cherokee said:
Joe, that's a float on a kingfish rig.
Yep exactly, I got into them pretty good using the ribbons of fresh clams and some surf fluke also..

Thanks for the replies to my question guys...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts