BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring is almost here and the smell of bait is almost upon us. Soon, stripers will be in the surf anxiously searching for its next meal. Well, thats where I want to be.

I've had my share of schoolie bass. I need to scale them up a bit.I spend alot of time on the water chucking clams with success, but I cant seem to get past the 30 lb mark.

Whats your plan to target LARGE bass?

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Usually fresh Bunker will catch bigger fish than clam. Big fish particularly like bunker heads the best Use a head with a good inch of meat behind the head to a whole half of a bunker. Hook it thru the bottom lip and out one of the nostrils or between the nostrils and chuck it out there. Usually the bigger bass, the spawners making their way north will be caught in the later spring into July and later the further north you go up the New Jersey Beaches, lots of times they are looking for bunker schools to follow, so bunker is the ticket at this time. If you can snag a live bunker, using a live one will up the anty considerably. I boat fish for large stripers in the CM Rips at night using eels, or first thing in th morning with spike weakies if i can get em. I usually can count on big fish starting mid May and the the big fish are usually there till mid June, sometimes later.

[ 02-09-2004, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: CaptG ]

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Brian,
Let me in on that new bait you'll be using. I've never heard of unker . LOL
Just kiddin!

[ 02-09-2004, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Striper101 ]

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Paul its 5/6 of bunker,he cuts off the tail and uses the rest :D j/k ;)

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
Try and keep my herring alive and fsh for the big boy that way...we'll see ;)

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
There are so many ways I want to get my biggest. But I'd have to say that biggest one is prob gonna be caught in the rips! This spring, hopefully! ;)

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
I like nighttime on top using lugs. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts