BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know I have a 26 Reg and had the 23 prior to that. One issue I have had with both boats is the amount of black mold (atleast it looks like black mold) that forms in the bildge of the boat. I clean it and that is the only thing that keeps it down.

I, basically, know the catalyst to mold growth are dmp and darkness, However, I never experienced this on any other boats I have owned.

A couple questions:

• Are their additives that some builders put in their gelcoat to inhibit the growth?
  • Are there any products that one may apply to prevent the growth?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the same thing happen. Water and bleach in a sprayer, Then I would crack the hatches when the boat was not in use. I first held the hatches open with the latches. I ended up cutting some wooden wedges after I replaced the first latch.

Phil

·
Registered
154 Posts
I worked for a boat detailer for 3 summers and we usually used bleach in a spray bottle for mold in bilge. I do the same on our boat. Also some times acetone works well on different stains. For the toughest stains we used on and off quickly followed by water and soap to neutralize the acid.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done the bleach thing too. Problem is it is very corrosive to metals. I am also concerned to it effects on hoses and such in the bildge over time.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Bleach is the easiest way to get rid of mold, but I sure do hate using it on the boat - especially in a bilge or engine room. Bleach is a strong oxidizer and will accelerate corrosion of metal parts that it contacts. Be careful with what it touches and be sure to rinse it off thoroughly.

There are some products out there that kill and prevent mold and claim not to contain any bleach. I used one once a few years back and it worked well on the cabin interior, but the mold only came back within a month instead of the usual three weeks:eek:. I'll try to dig up the name for you.

As for the cause in your Reg's bilge, it's probably the condensation that normally builds on the inside of solid glass hulls when water temps are still cool. You'll never be able to keep it completely dry, so moisture absorbing bags alone probably won't keep up; however, some of the disinfectant products on the market might be worth a try. Hmm, maybe just wiping the hull interior with Lysol or PineSol might help for a while.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Also some times acetone works well on different stains.
TH22, Acetone removes stains well because it usually removes a layer of the material that you're cleaning:eek:. It will definitely remove gelcoat in a bilge especially if it is wax-added and sprayed or rolled gelcoat vice molded. You gotta be quick with it and don't let it soak the surface too long.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The article attached above suggests a bildge blower. What are your thoughts on that?

boater who is handy with basic tools can build a permanent installation that will suck damp air from the bilge and exhaust it directly outside. All that’s required is a bilge blower or, even better, an in-line fan, plus a few feet of ventilation hose and a humidistat. (A humidistat is a switch, which automatically closes in response to elevated humidity.) As with a heat-controlling thermostat, the boater can pre-set the humidity level as desired. The vent hose is fixed to the exhaust outlet of the blower and run to a vent fitting open to the outside. When the humidity builds up in the bilge the blower will kick in, exhausting the damp air--first from the bilge, then from the rest of the boat. As this happens, fresh outside air will be drawn into the boat until the humidity drops below the preset level and the blower shuts off.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Buy a Sportfish!

Hey Bear, you know that if you had a sportfish instead of the Reg you'd have nice big ventilation ports on your hull sides and no more bilge mold:p;).

Aaaahh I just couldn't resist...

·
Registered
973 Posts
Could you spray things down with the Lysol that you buy and mix with water? Might be able to mix it up in a pump sprayer and just give things a spray every once in awhile.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Bear, you know that if you had a sportfish instead of the Reg you'd have nice big ventilation ports on your hull sides and no more bilge mold:p;).

Aaaahh I just couldn't resist...
Hey you watch your mouth ... LOL Yeah I know but I'd have two holes in my boat.. LOL Besides I already have a small one, SF that is... :D

Mister bad finger, Can I be in the secret club?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Spray-Nine works very well for mold. I spary it on and let it sit for a good while( 30-45 mins) then spry again then rinse. It seems to me that if I spray the bilge and fish boxes twice a mounth with the Spary-Nine they stay mold free and smell not so bad also.
http://www.spraynine.com/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=340

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm waiting for Capt. Badfinger's answer to this one! I have a Cape Horn with the same black mold problem and I just used bleach once or twice a year.

How about it Capt. Scott, got a better answer to share with us?:huh:

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes bleach will work, but in my bildge are

Hoses - I worry about the effect of chlorine on them over time. As it is known to dry and weaken rubber. Also makes the harder plastic hoses much more brittle.

Fuel fliters - Bleach will corrode the heck of the mounts (which are SS) in short time.

Various pumps - Bleach will corrode the metals housings, and weaken the plastic ones.

Screws for various items, even thought they are stain less, will corrode in a hurry when utilizing bleach.

Using bleach I have found will also knock the crap out of a good set of boat shoes, not that this pertains to the bildge but for those of you that use it on your deck, bleach will make those nice sticky boat shoe soles you have hard as a slippery rock in short time.

Just some thoughts, i have through experience.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Don

Got the same prob w/my 32 bilge...had the same prob with my 32 B Fin too...I'm in the mold business and dampness plus a food source (ie..microscopic stuff or wood or drywall or paper or paint) plus little ventillation=mold ev time. For cleaning it in my bilge I use Castrol Superclean and a scrub pad-like a 3M or Dobie pad and water. Superclean is awesome and its 5 bucks a gal at Walmart...Then there are products like Oxymold or Moldex or Biosafe which inhibit future growth in building applications or porous surfaces because they leach in and remain to continue to work. Problem with the bilge is ,obviously, the you are dealing with a constant moisture source and impervious (hopefully:) surfaces. Sooooo leaving the hatches open a bit is what I do and it pretty much eliminates it.

Good luck this year!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.