BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im curious about spadefish, triggerfish, sheepshead. Where does everyone find them during the summer? Ive only seen sheepies in LBI in late september, seen triggers but havent killed one yet. does anyone catch spades on a regular basis during the summer months here?

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Triggers were everywhere there was structure last year in my area. I mostly targeted them in 40-60 ft of water over wrecks/reefs. Best tasting fish in our waters imo.

I hope they are as abundant again this year.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me too joey... Even if it means catchin em on rod n reel over spearing them.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
My bucket list for this year......Triggerfish....since were going to be running out of TI i might have to offer mattlist a case of beer for a tutorial;):D.......Cobia.....i want to catch a cobia so bad my willy hurts:D..I am pretty much confined to the back waters of seaisle and avalon in my 17' mckee....but we will be running the blackfin inshore form the oc reef to the cape may reef.....gonna beat on the TI reef pretty good when the water is right, slip in a few tips to the trunk and 750 for makos and mabye try and get on a blue fin or 2 but i am enjoying the inshore fishery alot and love the diversity.....I am predicting a whip tail or 2 after a few beers with the bayhound for some direction.....this is going to be my summer weather permitting.....divorce is almost done and the ties that bound me have been cut loose....letting the dog off the leash for sure this year:thumbsup:...Gonna pick Capt Al's brain about the cobias too....seen plenty of racks hanging down by the ursula when he was slipped a few docks down from him....anyone know how he made out with the boat going down at the slip?

·
Registered
837 Posts
triggers at the brigdes in sh/NWW. they seem to like the ripping currnent and deep structure...we also had a descent sized jack crevelle, yes a jack 20-25 lbs lodged in our bulkhead at 104th st in SH... found it there dead when the tide dropped out...just couldnt believe it...2 summers ago

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
triggers at the brigdes in sh/NWW. they seem to like the ripping currnent and deep structure...we also had a descent sized jack crevelle, yes a jack 20-25 lbs lodged in our bulkhead at 104th st in SH... found it there dead when the tide dropped out...just couldnt believe it...2 summers ago

Now thats outta the ordinary.... Im used to seeing them all over in Mexico.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
see triggers, blowfish, sheepshead all the time after june.. shot a 16 pound sheepshead 2 years ago. didn't get out much last year because of charters.

this is the first fish my wife shot..it's not spot burning because we were on our way in..it's not a monster but i talked her into actually shooting a fish instead of just picking up starfish... so that was a win..

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seh, I had no idea you were into diving.... Let me know if you want to get together sometime, the boat I work on is right around the corner from you at the inlet marina.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Threads like this make me glad I'm an Ocean County resident! :D

Barnegat Bay is truly one of the greatest places in the region to fish. The triggerfish were amazing last year, and from what I recall they started reeling them in pretty early on. I didn't get into them much 'til late July, but they're a treat to catch and an even better treat to have for dinner. It's all about structure and current, as has been mentioned. The spear fishermen (and women, as pointed out by Seh :)) did great with them at the inlet last year. But spear anglers are a rare bunch - most of the triggers were caught with rods and reels, and pretty much everyone was using strip baits. Clam and squid both worked. There were some who used worms. 2009 was an awesome year for triggers, and I hope they return in the same numbers this season.

If that wasn't cool enough, I was stunned at how blowfish made such an amazing rebound last season. From the last few weeks in August 'til near the end of September, they were all over the bay. My next-door neighbor from the Philly area is an old-school Barnegat Bay angler and took me out on his boat one day to get me into it. It was strange literally just drifting in the open bay seemingly with no direction or plan, and hooking into fish after fish.

I love threads like this and I hope we get some more interesting catch stories from last season. If I recall correctly, despite the foul weather in June, the water temperatures really rebounded and got very warm. I go swimming nearly every day during the summer and the water where I live in LBI hovered around 80 most of the summer. Maybe that's why there were some interesting fishing opportunities.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Triggers were everywhere there was structure last year in my area. I mostly targeted them in 40-60 ft of water over wrecks/reefs. Best tasting fish in our waters imo.

I hope they are as abundant again this year.
last year was good:).

As far a spades go I've talked to more divers seeing them than fisherman. A few get caught every season up here but not many.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
The first trigger I caught I thought I'd hooked a 15lb bluefish full of PCP...was behind Avalon with my brother dropping clam pieces for black bass when all of a sudden BOOM the spinner (with a wee Penn 430ssg no less) I was fishing doubled over to the point where I could hear fibers cracking. After 10 minutes of battling the damned thing I was expecting to net a cinder block when a 7lb or so trig showed up :thumbsup: I'd catch them all day if I could...fight like beasts and are amazing table fare.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
NJ state records-
lbs year angler location:
Amberjack, greater 85 1993 Edwin Metzner--Off Cape May

Cobia 87 1999 John Shanchuk---Off Sea Bright

Drum, red 55 1985 Daniel Yanino-----Great Bay

Sheepshead 17.3 2003 Paul Lowe----Manahawkin Bay

Spadefish 11.6 1998 Cliff Low---- Delaware Bay

Triggerfish, gray 5.12 2008 Ronald Pires---High Bar Harbor

Tarpon 53 1982 Jim Klaczkiewicz----Off Sea Bright

·
Registered
744 Posts
Matt List and I spotted some Spades boat-side a couple days in August when we had some gin water up here right off of TI. No go on the bite though! :mad:

In those same days, there was also a 40-50lb Cobia that came up to the motor to check us out for a short while. This was by far one of the best sightings I have seen right off our coast of Avalon/SIC. If we had an eel on board, we might be the happiest peeps alive right now! If you find Trigger, than you are presumably in a good location for some other southern fish...

We just need that southern water to flow up here again like we had last year.

One of those two species of fish is going to be our most sought-out fish for the 2010 summer... :fighting:

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I'm almost positive my first trigger was a state record. Twas a slab sided, thick bodied beast....had no clue NJ kept a record for them until the trigger tacos were long gone :huh: Somewhere I've got a pic of it on the cutting table next to a keeper bass my bro caught that day.

·
Registered
744 Posts
NJ state records-
lbs year angler location:
Amberjack, greater 85 1993 Edwin Metzner--Off Cape May

Cobia 87 1999 John Shanchuk---Off Sea Bright

Drum, red 55 1985 Daniel Yanino-----Great Bay

Sheepshead 17.3 2003 Paul Lowe----Manahawkin Bay

Spadefish 11.6 1998 Cliff Low---- Delaware Bay

Triggerfish, gray 5.12 2008 Ronald Pires---High Bar Harbor

Tarpon 53 1982 Jim Klaczkiewicz----Off Sea Bright
Your name needs to be where Ronal Pires of High Bar Harbor is... :huh:

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
To the best of my recollection (three years ago) bro's bass was 30". Trig looks so torn up because I was halfway through scaling his *** before I remembered they just need to be peeled :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I'm almost positive my first trigger was a state record. Twas a slab sided, thick bodied beast....had no clue NJ kept a record for them until the trigger tacos were long gone :huh: Somewhere I've got a pic of it on the cutting table next to a keeper bass my bro caught that day.

another barner caught a queen a few years back that I'm surprised is not on that list.

6lbs is big for up here, but you see allot bigger fish south of us. my biggest trigger last year was a shade over 5lbs. It wouldn't suprise me at all if you got a 6 or a 7.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.