BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to a local canyon on a friend's boat yesterday in search of a Mako in the warmer water. Sharked for 3 hours, released a blue and had a little Mako in the slick,but once the tuna started skying we quickly changed gears. YFT and BFT were mixed together eating tiny sand eels. We bagged 7 YFT between 35 to 50 lbs and had 1 throw back. BFT were around 65 lbs, iced 1 and released 2.
Conditions were slick calm, three boats sharing multiple pods of surface feeding tuna!!!Before we found the tuna we did see a ton of life. Never hit a true break but did find beautiful clean water, fish were hungry and aggressive. Most fish on meat, spreaders accounted for 2 or 3 fish.

My boat is fresh off the railway, tugging at her dock lines! Need to scratch an OFFSHORE ITCH??? We will get you on the meat!!

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Heard about the trip yesterday and so glad to actually read a local offshore report. That must have been so much fun to hear the reels screaming and seeing tuna skyrocketing after the long long winter. Great May offshore trip.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sunday is looking rather sweet, right now.....
Just posted an Open Boat trip for that day, cause I need to go back!!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks for stopping by to share the report and some fresh Tuna with us here at TC Franz! This is a great start to what I'm sure is going to be a great summer for you!

·
Registered
435 Posts
We had a similar experience yesterday on my favorite boat, OPB (other people's boats). Water temp climbed from 58 to 71 in about 10 miles. At the 67-68 mark, the bites occurred. This is the earliest in the year that I got tuna, at least in our neck of the woods. That said, as I looked at the charts in the last couple of days in which the skies were clear, it appears that the good water may be moving out.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Way to go Franz. We were out sharking last weekend and got banged up pretty good overnight out in the deep of the Wilm. We were rolling so hard that we had water coming into the cockpit through the transom door. Every time it happened, we had a cockpit full of tiny little sand eels. There were thousands of them behind the boat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.