BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I'm considering fishing the flats Sunday for the first time. Do I need both a saltwater and fresh water MD license? The areas I'll be fishing are: Susquehanna Flats, Furness Bay and Susquehanna River. I'm catch and release only.

I'll be fishing from a small boat, so it all depends on the wind. It looks iffy at this point, but I might just head down to scout some areas.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Hey Guys, I'm considering fishing the flats Sunday for the first time. Do I need both a saltwater and fresh water MD license? The areas I'll be fishing are: Susquehanna Flats, Furness Bay and Susquehanna River. I'm catch and release only.

I'll be fishing from a small boat, so it all depends on the wind. It looks iffy at this point, but I might just head down to scout some areas.

I would give Ele at Herb's Tackle shop a call in Northeast MD, she will answer all of your questions and give you good information on where to fish and what to use to increase your chances of having a good day of fishing. You will only need a freshwater MD fishing license to fish those areas. Good luck and have fun,

·
Registered
249 Posts
You need the tidal license. Something like 22 bucks for the year. Or you can get a 7 day for around $12. Both are available off of the internet.

·
Registered
425 Posts
like kjv said, tidal license, $22ish bucks. The past couple seasons haven't been what it used to be down there. You can still have some great days, just not the same imho. Even when the fishing isn't gangbusters it's always nice being down there for a change of pace.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
like kjv said, tidal license, $22ish bucks. The past couple seasons haven't been what it used to be down there. You can still have some great days, just not the same imho. Even when the fishing isn't gangbusters it's always nice being down there for a change of pace.

Thanks guys... Yeah, I'm just basically looking for a change of pace. It's only about a 50 minute ride from my house to the ramp, so on a nice day it's an easy trip.

Didn't go this weekend, the wind was blowing too hard. I'll get down there eventually.

·
Registered
319 Posts
keep an eye one the regs - the flats close from 5/4 -5/15

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Thanks guys... Yeah, I'm just basically looking for a change of pace. It's only about a 50 minute ride from my house to the ramp, so on a nice day it's an easy trip.

Didn't go this weekend, the wind was blowing too hard. I'll get down there eventually.
I have been wanting to go down there too...What ramp do you use...do you have an address or landmark for the ramp be fore I make the 50 min drive??

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
4,715 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
We used to fish the flats for many years and had some great days on bait and some whoppers on top water plugs. Fresh herring used to be the ticket down there, I caught my two biggest stripers down there in the same spot. Flats is a beautiful place to fish:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
It's closed to targeting stripers at all until 5/15. There is also a ramp at Elk Neck State Park.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts