BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for something that is easy to deploy I am kinda torn between the Revere Coastal Commander and Coastal Compact. I know the Coastal commander is a lot more raft but for my 5-10 trips offshore I think the compact would be fine. I don't do overnighters I will often leave middle of the night and run in the dark. I am also very mindful of the weather and windows I know my limits with a 25' boat and typically won't stretch them

I have an EPIRB and all the other relevant safety gear. Just want that added piece of mind. The cost is not that much different so that's really not too much of issue. Wanted something lightweight easy to get to and deploy. The Costal Commander is 70lbs and the Compact is 25lbs so it's a big difference.

Appreciate any input, also how many of you guys in small boats who run offshore actually have rafts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Costal Comander

I have the costal comander, as of yet we have not had to deploy i and hope we never have to. That being said it dose weigh all of the 70 puonds you mentioned. We only carry it on the boat when going offshore, trips out to the ridge we leave it home. We also carry an Epirb and offshore life vests.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I bought a switlik rescue pod for my bay and near shore boat. for offshore I have a revere offshore raft, I would not use the small raft on an offshore trip, although anything is better than nothing
buy the biggest raft you can afford. and store
they make offshore rafts for a reason, you may be in them for a long time in some very bad conditions. you may have to pay 3-6g for a quality offshore.
switlik, revere, winslow all make offshore rafts, you get what you pay for offshore.
good luck, an offshore raft is no where to skimp on quality

expecially if you run full tilt at night. it's only a matter of time before you are in one.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
A couple EPIRBs (EPIRB plus PLB for redundancy) and anything that gets you out of the water for a few hours is plenty. If in colder than 60 something water...better have thermal protection in whatever raft you choose.

Most raft setups are way overkill for coastal rescue situations. Much more to worry about and think about...

·
Registered
662 Posts
A couple EPIRBs (EPIRB plus PLB for redundancy) and anything that gets you out of the water for a few hours is plenty. If in colder than 60 something water...better have thermal protection in whatever raft you choose.

Most raft setups are way overkill for coastal rescue situations. Much more to worry about and think about...
Any thought on the Vikinng 6 person coastal. At the Canyon Runner seminar and at the should this week the price is $1,750 no addtl tax or delivery charge in canister.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Any thought on the Vikinng 6 person coastal. At the Canyon Runner seminar and at the should this week the price is $1,750 no addtl tax or delivery charge in canister.
Without looking up the specs and going into detail...reputable company and the thing probably floats...although some do have undetected defects when you finally pop them....

So default to my previous...it should be ok if it fits your space/weight needs and budget....as you need to survive long enough for the EPIRBs to work and the rescue resource to get to you...again keep hypotermia in mind in colder water.

Many rafts are really set up as survival platforms that keep you alive for weeks.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Raft Maintainance

Another consideration as far as cost goes is the cost and frequency of inspection and repack of the raft.
I beleive money spent on safety is money well spent ... but I was suprised when I found out that the standard inspection and repack on my valise coastal commander 6 man raft was about $700....half the cost of what the raft cost me new 3 years ago . :please:

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
If your baot is small make damn sure you can get to the raft and handle it with ease. If got a fire on a gas boat your time is limited. My raft weighs 70#'s I am stout and can handle it well. However for many standing on their head to get the raft will taketoo long... Think about that.

Otherwise, listen to Capt Scott. The guy has saved few in his time..

·
Registered
662 Posts
Without looking up the specs and going into detail...reputable company and the thing probably floats...although some do have undetected defects when you finally pop them....

So default to my previous...it should be ok if it fits your space/weight needs and budget....as you need to survive long enough for the EPIRBs to work and the rescue resource to get to you...again keep hypotermia in mind in colder water.

Many rafts are really set up as survival platforms that keep you alive for weeks.
Thanks for the response. I carry a EPIRB (with GPS) and spotfinder plus all the standar safety equip. Looking at adding life raft plus satphone. I run a 33' HydraSport CC and pretty much run to the canyons (Willmington-Lindy) between June and October. Have hit some pretty ugly storms including two years ago during the Saturday of the Beach Haven White Marlin Invitational while in the Spenser

·
Registered
662 Posts
If your baot is small make damn sure you can get to the raft and handle it with ease. If got a fire on a gas boat your time is limited. My raft weighs 70#'s I am stout and can handle it well. However for many standing on their head to get the raft will taketoo long... Think about that.

Otherwise, listen to Capt Scott. The guy has saved few in his time..
Understood and thanks. I have a full size coffin box on my 33 cc and the raft will be there or right next to the helm while night running. I.ve seen you a number of times offshore. I run out of LEI too. Thanks again.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Check out the Winslow Ultra-Lite Offshore. Two Chamber, 6 Person, 36lbs.

Good CC raft. It comes with a Urethane Valise which is a hybrid between a Valise and Canister. Compact.

·
Registered
196 Posts
We have the Viking 6 person RescYou valise. Got a great deal on it from Viking directly at the strictly jersey show at SJ Marina last year. $1500 is what I paid roughly and that included the shipping. It weighs about 60lbs and my favorite feature is the bright fluroescent yellow canopy. Seemed a lot more visible than the standard orange of the other brands. Stores nicely down below on our 25 Carolina Classic and goes with me whenever Im on someone elses boat. If you didnt consider the Viking you should take a look. Any raft is better than no raft.

Dave

·
Registered
827 Posts
Life raft

The major question that you have to ask yourself is how much do you valve the lives of your family, friends, guests, and yourself, when thinking about purchasing a raft. Sure nobody ever wants to use it, but can you even fathom the horror of having to? By what your post says that you have a 25 foot vessel, and are a 5-10 times year offshore boater that runs sometimes in the night, and is mindful of the weather. But what about the other guy that is not so careful or experienced? What about the unforeseen, fire, non-forecasted weather, hitting submerged objects or marine life. GOOD LORD I SOUND LIKE AN ALL-STATE SALESMAN.

EBIRBS are great. But depending on the make, model, and age, if you are offshore the USCG can take up to 40 minutes to locate and process your signal. Then depending on the circumstances take up to another hour, or more, to get out and find you. That is a long time to be in the water offshore. Add in the cold, injuries, burns,
sea conditions, ect., and your chances of survival lessen.

Years ago I had a 25 Grady White Sailfish with twin 200's that I would take offshore. I had the hard canister Revere Coastal commander 6 person with the hydrostatic release. It was reasonable in price and fit properly on the front of the boat. The hydrostatic release will cost a few extra hundred and gives you the peace of mind that if you can't get to the raft it will inflate if your boat goes down and your in the water. Soft valise rafts take up space and there is the question of are you going to be able to find and toss a 70lb object overboard after an incident.

All rafts come in manufactures rating. For your purpose there is a rating of up to 20 miles offshore and then more then 20 miles offshore. The Revere commander series is the up to 20 miles offshore. On my current boat I have the Revere Offshore 8 series & hydrostatic release

Do your homework on this subject it may mean your life. Stay within your means , but don't skimp.
PS: what ever you decide remember that rafts need to be repacked ever three years and that is a costly, but necessary affair.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
70lbs? ha,mine weighs all of 120lbs!! 8person valise.I put it on the boat when running more then 20mi,its no big deal,just leave it up front (CC).I taught my 10yr old how to tie it off and push it over the side to deploy.im sure when the adrenaline is pumping,that 70# raft will feel like nothing to throw over the side for you

·
Registered
827 Posts
Good point

70lbs? ha,mine weighs all of 120lbs!! 8person valise.I put it on the boat when running more then 20mi,its no big deal,just leave it up front (CC).I taught my 10yr old how to tie it off and push it over the side to deploy.im sure when the adrenaline is pumping,that 70# raft will feel like nothing to throw over the side for you
Devil dog makes a good point by instructing his child as to operate the life saving raft. All passengers should get some instruction prior to departure. This is serious business. This has to be a MUST when boating. On the other hand I depart from the idea that adrenaline is pumping and the 70 - 120 lbs raft will be childs play. In the perfect scenario you most likely will have time to tie it off and push it over. The perfect scenario rarely exists. For example: what happens during a night time collision, 4 -6 ft seas, wind 15-20 knts, knocked over board, with injuries? Now in the rough water, pitch black, injured, maybe in shock, looking for other people, ect., ect. Adrenaline may not help much here. All I am saying is why take any chances. This is not the area of the boating world to leave anything to chance. When buying ANY safety equipment always think the worst and hope for the best.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.