BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a special lifting evy for the motor or do I need to manufactur something?

I Noticed there are three holes in the flywheel that are threaded, look like 3/8 size, can I get three eye bolts and tack weld them closed or would it be better to get a 1/8 steel plats with the hole pattern for the three holes and mount a lifting eye in the middle?

·
Registered
14,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's $50, Can I make one?

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
I use a harmonic ballancer/flywheel puller. You can get them for like $15 at Autozone. I just take the big bolt out that goes through the middle and replace it with eyebolt. I dont know about the 225 FICHT, but on most Evinrudes I have done, those 3 holes are 5/16 fine thread.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I use a harmonic ballancer/flywheel puller. You can get them for like $15 at Autozone. I just take the big bolt out that goes through the middle and replace it with eyebolt. I dont know about the 225 FICHT, but on most Evinrudes I have done, those 3 holes are 5/16 fine thread.
Thats what I did. Even using a Made in China 1/2" eyebolt, it worked good enough to get one in and out of a pickup.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Exactly...except I never bothered with the eye ring. I just used several wraps of 1/2" nylon under and around the plate to create a loop for the hook to lift it.

·
Registered
14,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OK, Just got the puller, now do I buy an eye bolt to fit in the middle? McMaster Carr has one, a steel w/shoulder 3/4-16 bolt for $12, do I need to use this or

I already have an eyebolt, the bolt is smaller (1/2"), I was thinking using 2 nuts on the end to hold it on the the puller with two washers.

Also, the three holes in the flywheel are 1/4-20 thread not 5/16, will three bolts at 1/4-20 be strong enough, I calculated about 5800 lbs of tension to break this bolt so I am pretty sure I am ok.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Tight, you should be fine with the 1/2" eyebolt being loose in the puller plate. A nut/washer over/under it where is it going?

I would have agreed with the 5/16" fine thread like they used to be.. Yes, not problem with the 1/4-20's if they came with the puller. They are probably case hardened. How many hash marks on their heads??

·
Registered
14,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are grade 5 bolts, 3 lines on the head, they are black bolts. I'm pretty confident, its only 600 lbs, going from one boat over to the other the same time.

I like the Merc lifting eye, I have that, it screws into the flywheel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.