BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
light tackle for the surf. Gooood lord I must be bored if I am taking pictures of light tackle in my bathroom. Any how thought I would get a jump on light tackle for the surf.
ROD, TICA DOLPHIN 7FT line class 10-25
REEL, OKUMA STRATUS
LINE, POWER PRO BRAID
SWIVEL, SPRO
LEADER, FLOROCARBON 3FT 30LB
LURE, 7 INCH SAND EEL
JIG HEAD 3XXX OWNER HOOK

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Nice setup.:thumbsup:....Fishhead I noticed your from Eastham,I was thinking about fishing over that way (Chatham) next season.I was wondering if the seals are a problem there?? I lost some nice fish in Ptown last year because of seals.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
How light is light? I have been pondering the purchase of a steelhead rod for surf fluke. That can be very light.
Steelhead rods are plenty strong enough for almost everything that swims in the surf. Steelhead get pretty big, over 20 lbs., and steelie rods generally have enough beef to handle light surf duties. While I wouldn't use one in a spot with heavy current, they're great for open beaches, where horsing in fish isn't necessary.

If you're worried about going too light, you can use a slightly bigger reel that will give you a bit more capacity. But give a steelhead rod a try in the suds: I think you'll like it.

·
Banned
2,974 Posts
what is your set up for light tackle:confused::confused:
Have fished down to a 6' St.Croix Avid rod with a Penn 420 loaded with 4# Sufix mono in Hatteras for pompano and see mullet.Where I fish the conditions are frequently ideal for this setup with short casts and little drift using 1/4 or 1/2 oz split shot. It is the open surf with flat beaches and no obstructions,not backwaters. You always are taking a little chance and I have got into arguments with puppy drum and nice trout and managed to beach them,but it took a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.