BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your opinion of being on the water during Thunderstorms? Do you feel safe, or head for home?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I work at a golf course where 2 golfers were killed together years ago by lightning tying to finish out a hole. Two weeks ago another local golfer was killed. Open spaces like golf courses and especially the flat surface of water is no place to be when lightning may be present.
My brother also took an indirect hit while washing dishes in his apartment during a thunderstorm some years back. He saw it come right out of his drain into his hand and out his shoe. He was knocked halfway across the kitchen and paramedics said he was lucky to be alive and suffered mainly from shock and had some minor burns.
Our family really respects the awesome power of nature. If lighting is impending, we are out of there immediately and looking for cover. Plenty of other days to fish safely!

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Depends on the boat...many will give similar protection like a car. If the T-top or cabin top is big enough to mostly surround you and you can stay a couple feet away from the metal structure....it should carry the strike away.

Of course you may have a heart attack if a large bolt does hit a relatively small boat.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Spur the horses in the gut and get the hell out of there if you can!

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Being a landbased fishermen,and fishing at times with alot more higher targets around me like buildings along the beach or tree's in the backbays I tend to stretch it a bit sometimes..
But for the most part when I see streak lightning
from cloud to ground in the area I head for shelter until it passes.... ASAP !!!!

[ 06-28-2005, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
908 Posts
I now have a lightning phobia...all it took was
one time. I was fishing with a friend in a 13'
whaler when I was 15-16. Out of nowhere, a
major storm approached and lightning was touching
down within a couple hundred yards of us. To
top it off, we got pelted with nickle to quarter
sized hail. Needless to say I always check the
weather before a trip, and if I see any hint of
lightning, I'm outta there!

[ 06-28-2005, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: earlybird ]

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Get off the water with a small boat as fast as possible. Small outboards in the water and you holding on to tiller or wheel you can get a reverse strike if lightning hits water close by.

Last thing you want to have in your hand is a graphite lightningrod.

Sailboats and powerboats that are properly grounded to the bonding system will usualy disburse direct hit. If you have ever seen boats after a hit, you know you would not like to be too close. Lightning will find a path. If you do not provide one it finds it's own. Talk to some one who has taken a hit and the will tell you they are lucky to be alive and have problems for life from it. Fishing time lost is worth it.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
i'll add my 2 cents. get the hell out of there. i used to work on a horse farm. a large t-storm was approaching and the owner and i started rounding them up to the barn. the last horse, a stallion was in a training ring which was constructed of a 8ft high chain link fence,about 30ft across,
with about 8 light poles which were 20ft high. the no sooner says not to get him,when bam lightning hits him between the shoulders and that was that. i don't press my luck, i run.

·
Registered
19,691 Posts
My kid is a Florida Gator and a while ago sent me this link on Lightning and Boats that UF published a while ago... very interesting reading.

Lightning Article

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Lean more about lightning and take some basic precautions. While being off the water is prudent...not need to panic and do other stupid water related actions that are just as deadly as a lightening strike but have a greater probability of occurrence...

Informative article but full of controversial info...keep reading and learning about water related hazards....

[ 06-28-2005, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Capt. Scott ]

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had a hit close to me once, when I had my first Grady.

weakfish were biting hard, didn't want to leave

Hair stood up, felt like I had hit my funnybone where my elbow touched the hardtop rail, and destroyed my old loran.

Four of us on board, all felt the same thing at once.

Ran WOT all the way to the dock.

It was the last time I screwed around. That was about nineteen years ago.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
We were in the middle of Marsh Creek Lake in a 14' johnboat when a storm came up.
Probably a half mile from the dock.Lightning everywhere. All we had to run with was an electric motor.
All 3 of us crouched as low as possible.
SCARED AS H*LL!!!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
My buddy told me that a few years ago, he was on Marsh Creek when a storm popped up. The ranger came around on his boat and told anyone with a gas motor to fire it up and get back to the dock.

BTW, I went to electronics school 15 years ago, and was taught that electricity flows from negative to positive(oposite of what military guys were taught). The instructor showed us pics of lightning going from the ground to the sky.

al

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Thanks for the informative reading FM. So if you are too far from the dock to out run the storm, whats your best bet try and out run it or just sit and wait it out :confused:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I had a scary experience once last year. I was out in my 14' on a local lake. The front was coming through, but no rain or lightning/thunder yet. I was takingmy time, fishing my was back to the ramp. Just as I was throwing a cast, I felt the hair on my neck stand up. I thought about stories I'd heard about that happenning prior to lightning strikes, and figured I'd better takeoff now. I figured what the hell, I'll fish out this cast anyway. Well I wasn't paying attention to my line for a couple seconds after the hair stood up. About 4-5 seconds after I casted, I looked out and my line was suspended about 4 inches off the water, in just about a straight line. Weirdest thing I've ever seen, made me think that was a place I didn't want to be anymore. High-tailed it back to the ramp and was too freaked out by it to put the boat on the trailer until after the storm passed.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Profinity?man?what pure genius?understand Faraday and understand how to protect yourself!!!! Fess up out there? who knows about Michael Faraday and his magnetism and static electricity theories????

Seriously?.it is about that simple?and while the article FmTuna linked us to is in agreement with some of the other ?expert opinions? out there?but not totally?.it?s important to know that if you aren?t sure about the protection your boat offers?it?s always wise to seek safe haven as long as the transit to safe haven isn?t more dangerous than the million (plus) to one chance that you?ll be hit.

I had to catch the rest of dinner the other night so obviously I was dodging bolts till I had enough to put on the dinner plates?the real advantage to understanding protection and having a ride with a full pilothouse?

PS being a helo pilot in the Caribbean and Gulf Coasts for nearly 10 years gave me the reason to study lightning like a scientist!!!!

[ 06-29-2005, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Capt. Scott ]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts