BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given this rod when i first started surf fishing for stripers it's old but this rod has caught amd handled up to #50 class bass cast like a dream i can load this rod with 10 and bait an still sling a good 80 plus yards jus overall was a great rod for me and i want to find another as mine has been on it last leg for several seasons but i never could put it down even missing guildes and jus totally beet up but it still out caught every other rod i had.
So if anyone can help me locate one I'd greatly appreciate it. I cant find one.

Zebco sportfisher series*
Gt 8010 10' med/heavy action line wt: 12-25 lbs lure wt: 1-4 oz
Made in Korea*

·
Registered
648 Posts
old rod

As long as the blank is not physically damaged it can be refurbished to it's original new or better condition. Contact a rodbuilder or e-mail me for any help.

Mblues01

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about tht and was told it be cheaper to buy 2 new rods rather than get it redone lol but I I can't find it to buy it I have no choice. The tip is super soft jus loads up so well I don't know the year it was made but I got it beet up and put it through the worst for 5 years I think maybe it deserves a redo. Tht rod alone accounted for 80% of my bass in the past 5 years. I mean I coulda had 3 bait set ups every trip and tht be the only one going off most times. Jus love it I do

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Sounds like its worth redoin, remember every commercial rod is slightly different because they don't tend to take the time to spline them, so even if you found another rod like it it may not fish as well...I think you'll be amazed that having the rod redone isn't as expensive as you think, It all depends on what parts are used...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If the rod fits your needs, definitly have it rebuilt. In my youger days when bamboo was used it was customary to rebuild every 3 years. (something I did myself.) I am currently having a 20 year old rod rebuilt as I have not found one to match it. Go for it, well worth the toe & money.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Old rods are generally not redoing because, as you said, doing a thorough rebuild is a time-consuming process, and is expensive. You're usually better off buying something new.

The one exception to this rule is if a rod has sentimental value to you. If so, by all means contact a builder to ask about a complete rebuild. It will perform just as well as it always has, and it will look as good as new when the restoration is complete.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Assuming the rod is old school, take it to a tackle shop and get new guides for it. Strip old ones off and get Testors paint from hobby shop. Mix paint with half of epoxy, then add second half. Paint blank, let dry, then place new guides in same locations as before. Your choice of colors. Benefits are, same rod, but you restored it yourself. Chances are it will not come out looking like a pro job, but you can always use the excuse that it is how I wanted it to look. Good luck, and if thats the road you decide on, keep everybody posted.

·
Registered
990 Posts
handled up to #50 class bass cast like a dream i can load this rod with 10 and bait an still sling a good 80 plus yards Zebco sportfisher series* Gt 8010 10' med/heavy action line wt: 12-25 lbs lure wt: 1-4 oz Made in Korea*[/QUOTE said:
Your casting a rod rated for a 1-4 ozs sinker, with a 10 oz. sinker, rig, and bait, and throwing it over 80 yards?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
When you strip it and rebuild it, you will probably be using new components which are worth more than the rod, not to mention the labor to strip and re-wrap.

If I were you, I would try to do it myself. There is no way you can end up with something worse than the rod you have been fishing at double the rating with missing guides??? Haha.

RyanF

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Your casting a rod rated for a 1-4 ozs sinker, with a 10 oz. sinker, rig, and bait, and throwing it over 80 yards?
You better believe it sounds hard to imagine? But all so very true I can't explain it but it does every time. Jus ask ppl who seen me cast on the beach. I never witnessed anyone casting for more distance than me when I'm
Out there. This rod ha to be over 20 years old I would think too.
When I lighten up and go with a spudnick or jus 6oz froglip I get well over 100yards no problem. Ever see one of those old surf photos and the guys rod is bent to hell in the cast? Well Thts my rod then it jus launches the hell outa wht ever I throw. Have even had 2 6oz hatters style weights and bait and got aprox 50-60yards in ruff weathera few times. The rod is simply a beast hands down.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I fish the surf in sea isle and I only have 2 days a week to do it so I fish in any and all conditions day and night and there where times in the past 5 years either fishing near the inlet or jus on the beach where 10 was no good so I put 2-6oz piramid or hatters style and still got enough on it to get 50yds. My best cast actually come when I'm using 8oz and bait with this rod. So sometimes even when I don't need tht much I use it anyway for distance. I'm telling u the truth lol I didn't figue out wht rod rating was even about til 3 years ago and tht was well after I was used to already throwing well over wht the rod is "supposed to be capable of". So I jus continued in my ways and never had a problem. Well except for cut up fingers but I use a glove for te past 2 years and I think I'm getting better distance with a glove on.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I have seen many rods under rated by larger manufacturers. Depending on the material of the blank, it is possible to throw in a range of 3-10 ozs. ( I am throwing 3-10ozs right now, with an expensive rod blank ) As much as many do not like imports, Korea does put out some excellent products. It is not out of the question, since it is a blank made in Korea, that you got lucky and have a rod blank that is sold for more money with a different name on it. Here's another thing to do.......look at other manufacturers with that 8010# in them. See if they are close to the same ratings and take a close look. You may find that rod with another name on it. If you like the rod, you cant go wrong by refinishing it. Value is in the users eyes more than the manufacturers eyes.

What kind of blank is it? Sounds like a glass blank with that kind of range. Plus, if its a low end rod I doubt it is going to be a high modulus graphite any way. Many old glass blanks were a fiberglass/eglass composite and are very desirable today to a select group. ( many $35 rods from the 80's are sold for $100 today to be refinished. Some as bunker spoon rods ) . I will look up the model you gave us and see if I can track down some info for you. I don't think you are going to find another one, to be honest. Maybe a garage sale or something. Let me see if I can find anything out on the model :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
You better believe it sounds hard to imagine? But all so very true I can't explain it but it does every time. Jus ask ppl who seen me cast on the beach. I never witnessed anyone casting for more distance than me when I'm
Out there. This rod ha to be over 20 years old I would think too.
When I lighten up and go with a spudnick or jus 6oz froglip I get well over 100yards no problem. Ever see one of those old surf photos and the guys rod is bent to hell in the cast? Well Thts my rod then it jus launches the hell outa wht ever I throw. Have even had 2 6oz hatters style weights and bait and got aprox 50-60yards in ruff weathera few times. The rod is simply a beast hands down.

Mu..

I second NJ reply... Where do you fish and your throwing method(s)?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jerseycoast thanks alot I appreciate u doing tht for me I can't find it no where. It has metal washers tht lock the reel in place and I'm almost sure it's fiberglass or something close to it. I'm not really up on all the materials but I think Thts wht it is.
An for all those tht are idk doubting me, with my ranges there is a few ppl on here tht have fished with me and have witnessed me throwing wht I claim. wht do I have to gain by lying to y'all on the Internet? Lol who am I Tryin to impress? I'm Looking for help not ur personal opinion on wht I can and can't do. I do wht I say and say wht I do I'm a man not a mouse. Lol but I'll put money I out cast who ever lol I had plenty practice on open fields last year. Any weekend u want to put it to the test for the right price I'm there. Ctfu

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Mu, with an open challenge like that, I really think you should head up to Marlton when they have the NJ State casting tournament. Seems like you would be able to make a lot of money that day.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Jerseycoast thanks alot I appreciate u doing tht for me I can't find it no where. It has metal washers tht lock the reel in place and I'm almost sure it's fiberglass or something close to it. I'm not really up on all the materials but I think Thts wht it is.
An for all those tht are idk doubting me, with my ranges there is a few ppl on here tht have fished with me and have witnessed me throwing wht I claim. wht do I have to gain by lying to y'all on the Internet? Lol who am I Tryin to impress? I'm Looking for help not ur personal opinion on wht I can and can't do. I do wht I say and say wht I do I'm a man not a mouse. Lol but I'll put money I out cast who ever lol I had plenty practice on open fields last year. Any weekend u want to put it to the test for the right price I'm there. Ctfu

Hmm.. you stated that you hauled in 50lber cow plus tossed a 10 and Bait across 80 yards plus on a Old Schoolie rod that was rated for 1-4oz. Impressive? or impression? or maybe "trying to impress"...I do not know...LOL.. because all this being said it is only the INTERNET..LOL.. If you are willing to put it UP for a test I would simply be the spectator and maybe learn a thing or two LOL.. Cause I have never seen it done before PERIOD on or off the internet.. HAHA

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Idk I watched alot of viedo of casting champions forget the names on YouTube last year and began praticing different ways to cast for better distance did this for a month or more for a few hours a week with different lines and weights. And I still dont fully understand the rod rating thing all tht well but I know wht I have done cast after cast this past 2 seasons. Maybe it's the rod maybe it the way I cast Idk but I don't get same results with my other rods this one always outcast the other with same style of cast. And I found I overload those other rods to but still get considerable distance.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I thought about tht and was told it be cheaper to buy 2 new rods rather than get it redone lol but I I can't find it to buy it I have no choice. The tip is super soft jus loads up so well I don't know the year it was made but I got it beet up and put it through the worst for 5 years I think maybe it deserves a redo. Tht rod alone accounted for 80% of my bass in the past 5 years. I mean I coulda had 3 bait set ups every trip and tht be the only one going off most times. Jus love it I do
mu fish, give me a call and i can go over refurbish prices with you
ray :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts