BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally had a chance to get Bawugna and his lovely girlfriend out clamming on saturday.

We hit the mud flat by 7am and within a couple of minutes Jim and Kim started looking like naturals.

By 8:30, 6 of us had our limit (900 clams) and we were heading for home.

Ran into Carl (CVS) while we were out there. He had his kayak loaded with his limit of clams as well.

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
And they were delicious too. Jimmy gave me about 3 doz of small to mediums. Shucked a few for on the 1/2 shell & steamed the littlenecks for the wife. We did a lot of damage in about 3 minutes. Poor little things wouldn't have stood a chance even if they had legs.

Good job Jason & BTW, you didn't miss much yesterday.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Jason, Let me know if you want company anytime.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Jay, Kim and I can't thank you enough!

We were ferried out to the flat by Al Jr. and were dumped out on the flat. The mud was squishy and not too deep in most areas...just a few inches before you hit the sand. Jay took us under his wing and off to the races we went. Kim out clammed me like 2 to one and Jay and crew out clammed her 2 to one....needless to say, we reached our limit later than the rest of the crew:rolleyes: These guys are a sight to behold, sox, long jeans T-Shirts Oh and of course Jay had his special gloves:rolleyes: According to Al Jr. the gloves keep Jason's soft girlie hands from getting dirty and damaged:p I manned up and went barefoot with shorts and my usual fishing "flats" shirt. The mud felt very much like dog dookie squishing between your toes, some of you might recall that I got an education on that last year :eek: The whole while, Al Sr is on this knees raking like a madman. The clams hit his bucket so fast, it sounded like a machine gun!

I have said it before and will say it again.....there is NOTHING like the stuff you catch yourself. Much beyond the pride of doing it yourself, the product is fresher than anything you can buy anywhere. When you take care of it right, seafood takes on a whole new complexion. Much to my surprise, there was no sand at all in these clams...I am pretty confused how that is possible, but will not complain ;)

It was not so difficult really and was pretty cool when you pick a double or triple header. They fought rather disappointingly however:) With that said, we were pretty sore the next day. It was akin to raking a 1 acre lawn with a dinner fork! Worth it all the way however.

The guys dragged us back to the ramp and there we were with 300 clams that needed cooling and keeping. We were muddy and stinking and I was pretty reluctant to get in my new truck looking like that.

Jay and Crew, thanks again for showing us the ropes, we will be putting that info to good use into the future

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have brought the camera for some action shots.
It is not the cleanest sport in the world. Sort of like chumming in a Nor'easter but still alot of fun.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Action shots?????

Oh I forgot where you live....

Action shots clamming?????........well after thinking about it....some people do look like they just finished a mud wrestling match....:D :D :D

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Capt. Scott said:
Action shots?????

Oh I forgot where you live....

Action shots clamming?????........well after thinking about it....some people do look like they just finished a mud wrestling match....:D :D :D
When are you taking me on a ride along?
We can scout some areas too.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Margaritaville, were you behind SIC in the ICW on Friday around 1:00ish (59th st)? I was standing on the fishing pier and a boat with the name Margaritaville floated by.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bawugna said:
Jay, Kim and I can't thank you enough!

We were ferried out to the flat by Al Jr. and were dumped out on the flat. The mud was squishy and not too deep in most areas...just a few inches before you hit the sand. Jay took us under his wing and off to the races we went. Kim out clammed me like 2 to one and Jay and crew out clammed her 2 to one....needless to say, we reached our limit later than the rest of the crew:rolleyes: These guys are a sight to behold, sox, long jeans T-Shirts Oh and of course Jay had his special gloves:rolleyes: According to Al Jr. the gloves keep Jason's soft girlie hands from getting dirty and damaged:p I manned up and went barefoot with shorts and my usual fishing "flats" shirt. The mud felt very much like dog dookie squishing between your toes, some of you might recall that I got an education on that last year :eek: The whole while, Al Sr is on this knees raking like a madman. The clams hit his bucket so fast, it sounded like a machine gun!

I have said it before and will say it again.....there is NOTHING like the stuff you catch yourself. Much beyond the pride of doing it yourself, the product is fresher than anything you can buy anywhere. When you take care of it right, seafood takes on a whole new complexion. Much to my surprise, there was no sand at all in these clams...I am pretty confused how that is possible, but will not complain ;)

It was not so difficult really and was pretty cool when you pick a double or triple header. They fought rather disappointingly however:) With that said, we were pretty sore the next day. It was akin to raking a 1 acre lawn with a dinner fork! Worth it all the way however.

The guys dragged us back to the ramp and there we were with 300 clams that needed cooling and keeping. We were muddy and stinking and I was pretty reluctant to get in my new truck looking like that.

Jay and Crew, thanks again for showing us the ropes, we will be putting that info to good use into the future
Sounds like you had a good day, but be careful treading barefoot. Over a few years of commerical clamming I've pulled up a lot of stuff that I would NOT want to step on without shoes. Rusty beer cans, hooks, sharp shells (razor clams especially), knives, broken glass, anchors, horseshoe crabs. I've been stabbed a few times by horseshoe crabs and it hurts like hell. It's best to grab a pair of neoprene boots than to risk it.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crystalblue,
I tried to warn him. LOL

I have ruined neoprene boots from stuff in the mud. Sharp rusted metal is always my fear

1 - 12 of 12 Posts