BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellas,

Got a gift card to Orvis for a recent birthday and wanted to put it towards a new line.

I have an 8 weight with 2 spools. One spool has a coldwater redfish line on it (floating, 30' head). I was thinking of spooling my other spool with an intermediate line. I'll be doing your typical Jersey fishing. Stripers, weakies, blues, etc... from the beach, sod banks, jetties (and boat if im lucky).

I was thinking of getting their "Striper" intermediate line but also saw their Depth Charge line with a 30' sink tip at 5.5"/sec. Think I should go with the intermediate line first for all around fishing?

I can see the depth charge being useful when fishing inlets when the tides ripping, but the intermediate sounds better for overall fishing.

I figured my coldwater Redfish line could be used for shallow fishing in the back bays/sod creeks late summer when surface action starts.

What kind of set-ups are you guys working with?

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Sounds as though you have done your research & I agree with you findings. Go with the int. & wear it out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The inter works well in shallow water, and waters without much current. However, the sinking line works in all conditions. If the water is shallow, start your retrieve as soon as the line hits the water. In deeper water count it down to the depth you want to fish. Sinking lines, contrary to what you may have heard, are easier to cast, requiring no false casting as inters, and floating lines do. With sinking lines, long casts with less effort than the other lines are easily done. I personally, I like a 4-5 inch per second sink rate.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info.

The sink tip lines (say 30' sink tip at 6" per second with a 1.5" per second running line) aren't too much for walking sod banks and casting to creek mouths and cutouts?

What about fishing on or along jetties?

I would think that a fast sink line would be great for warmer weather fluke bottom bouncing.

Decisions Decisions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 10 wt switch and a single hand 10. I use the Rio outbound inter for both and love the way it casts and presents. Faster currents you might want a sink tip but I fish 0-10 ft of water with no issues at all.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Tough decision for you. I like those sinking lines as I fish a little deeper water and love the way they cast. In shallow water you can use a deceiver and still keep your fly from dredging the bottom. Shallow sodbanks your floating with a clouser will work. Like it was said in the heavy current or deeper water it is hard to get down far enough just using and intermediate. You might want to think about a line with tip sections that you can change. None will be perfect but you will be able to fish a few different way pretty good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.