BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a couple 50's. First time with tackle like this. Want to respool. What lb test should I go with. PENN gives capacities using 50#. My friend said he is using 80. Opinions? :confused:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Depends on what you're gonna use them for. If for trolling, and you're new to the game, I'd fill em with 80lb. mono. If multi use, consider braid with a topshot. Do not troll with braid unless you have a 100-200 yard topshot. If lines touch each other, it will be a nightmare.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
May do some trolling. Sharking for sure. I am debating with a friend the cost of the JB hollow core vs just mono. I know he will be trolling with his.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
All of my 50s have 80# Momoi Hi-Catch.
This is what I use.

I recommend this to all new offshore fisherman as well. Hollow core WILL take you farther but is not something to be used by the inexperienced.

You can cause some serious tackle failure, lost lures, and possibly lost fingers (limbs).

It is however the go-to for beating monsters. I will be switching some of my reels to it this year.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like Jay's responce and will concur :thumbsup:. Hollow Spectra with an oversized mono topshot/Windon is da **** for beating big fish with samll gear, but it does take some knowledge and skill to use, rig, and apply properly and safely.

For someone new using/owning 50 class standup gear. Spool up with a good quality 50 to 80 lb mono and use that for a season or 2.

·
Registered
726 Posts
May do some trolling. Sharking for sure. I am debating with a friend the cost of the JB hollow core vs just mono. I know he will be trolling with his.
For optimum versatility I back mine with 130lb Jerry Brown hollow spliced to a 150 to 200 yd 80lb Momoi mono top shot.

With this I can troll for tuna without braid in the spread, plus add a wind on leader for shark fishing. I can also take it with me to Florida for deep dropping for swords or high speed wahoo trolling. Very versatile.

Basel turned me on to this set-up:thumbsup:

·
Registered
854 Posts
I am also changing over to JB 130 hollow with a top shot of either 100 or 130 momoi diamond. If you are spooling up a 50S I would use momoi diamond 60 which has a breaking point of 82lbs. On 50 wides I would do the JB 130 with a top shot or just go with momoi 80 which has a breaking point of 122 lbs!! Good luck.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input. They are not wides so I think I'm gonna do the 60# mamoi. Lots of info out there and varying opinions. All valid and appreciated. have a good winter all...

·
Registered
182 Posts
For optimum versatility I back mine with 130lb Jerry Brown hollow spliced to a 150 to 200 yd 80lb Momoi mono top shot.

With this I can troll for tuna without braid in the spread, plus add a wind on leader for shark fishing. I can also take it with me to Florida for deep dropping for swords or high speed wahoo trolling. Very versatile.

Basel turned me on to this set-up:thumbsup:
This is the way I would go. You will never even see the braid until you really need it.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
60 Momoi Diamond! They rate the breaking strength around 91lbs.

A very good and wise choice. When you think about it, what are we trying to do? How many really big fish do you get a chance at all season? With the line mentioned, you can easily go 2-1, 3-1 with out even a concern, meaning a 270-300 lb fish if your strike setting is at 17 lb and back it down if the fish is ripping or has a lot of line out. for you that put on this 130 lb line, I'm at a loss for the reason why. Off NJ, even if you catch a 500 lb shark, or a 350 lb blue marlin or the typical 50 lb tuna, how much pressure do you really think your putting on the line or want to put on the line for that matter? Is there times where I wish I had a little more line? on occasion, but I personally prefer the sport of matching the line with the rod and reel. I'm the purist and likely the outcast here, but I've only broken 1 main line in my recent past, and the line was brand new and likely had a cut in it, as we just came tight with a white at maybe 8 lb of drag at the most. on another occasion, we had a big eye on a 20 lb set up which was meant for a white, but 2 hours later, the line melted. In retrospect, I should have dropped a weighted hook down the line and snagged the fish on heavier gear. Good luck. Some good advise here

·
Registered
292 Posts
For what it is worth. There is a large list of reason for using hollow braid with a mono topshot. Only one of which is line capasity.

A few of the benifits of hollow braid over all mono is the ability to seamlessly splice in additional line of the same, higher or lower lb test in the event of line loss. It also alows you to change the mono you are fishing to a different brand type or lb rating when you deside to switch gears and do somethign differant. If you loos 100 yards will all mono you are stripping and respooling the entre reel.

Another consideration is the cost. Braid is a pricy initial investment but if you fish alot it will save you money in a short amount of time in respooling alone. Braid has been know to be usable for 10 years. How many times will you respool a reel in 10 years with all mono.

Like everything it is not for everyone and you need to know how and what to use, it but it does have its place.

One last thing the reel does not know what kind of line or what pound test line is on it, only the angler does. 130 braid can be fished just like 60 lb mono if that is how you set your drags.

Bottom line is, it is not about LB test of the line.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Njtunastick you're right about the breaking point, the 50lb test is in the low 80s. I will say this, I would rather land the fish of my life rather then watch my spool get smoked! I have witnessed first hand what a very large fish will do to a Tiagra 50 with 20-21 lbs of drag at strike. That's one reason I am making the swith to the JB 130, so I can put 25lbs of heat on a big fish and can still go up to full if need be. Also as stated above, only need around 1000 yards of mono to redo all the top-shots.. It will pay for itself quickly..

·
Registered
854 Posts
Lightning, knots have different breaking points. I always test my knots, I have a small loop of 400lb mono attached to the tower. I put the hook in the loop and lean on it pretty good. I test all my crimps also, pulled hooks are bad but a failed knot will drive me crazy!!

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Everyone discusses how long you can keep HC on your reels. The question is do you really want to leave line on your reels for 5yrs +? Don't you want to be able to pull it and clean the spool? My understanding is HC needs to be wrapped tight so even if you do pull it respooling it yourself can be tricky.

We looked into HC: increased capacity, longer lasting and the above is basically what I was told by our tackle shop.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Everyone discusses how long you can keep HC on your reels. The question is do you really want to leave line on your reels for 5yrs +? Don't you want to be able to pull it and clean the spool? My understanding is HC needs to be wrapped tight so even if you do pull it respooling it yourself can be tricky.

We looked into HC: increased capacity, longer lasting and the above is basically what I was told by our tackle shop.
Spooling Braid is not difficult or tricky. It is not easy to do by hand vs a machine By hand take some arm strength. I do a dozen 50's and a few 30's and 70's by hand every year. It only needs to be packed tight and even. Doing a few this weekend. A few beers while the game is on and 2 guys can do a few reels in a few hours without breaking a sweat. The 50's are going on thier 5th season. Every year i end up cutting off 20 yards or so and splice in a new loops. This year i will likely splice in a few yards of new line to make up for what i lost and removed over the past 4 season. The splice will be almost invisable and will maintain 100% of the line strength. I also like ot be able ot change my topshot depending on the fishing i am doing. BFT on the cape we will have 100lb mono topshots on the 50's and 80 on the 30's. (This is for Chaff not fighting strength or drag presure.
When we go to the canyons and target whites, yellows, mahi etc the 50's will get 80 and the 30s will get 50 or 60 lb mono topshots. Quick change that can be done on the ride out if needed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts