BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched and decided on a Shimano 4500 and 7' MH Ugly stik. I am new to striper fishing but I think this setup would be good for fishing out of my boat in the big d. I am also going to use this setup for catfishing.

Now as for the line... I know nothing about braided line and have never used it but with all of the hype, I think it is time to try it out. I think I am going to go with power pro, but what lb. test should I get? Color? and the 150 yd spool or 300?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
In my opinion, 30lb line would be too heavy for a 4500. Diamond 16 or Hi-Catch 20 would be ideal, but there are a lot of good monos out there. If you feel like you need to go heavier, you can always go with some braid (say 40 or 50lb) and some heavier mono (or even flouro) on top, but braid wouldn't be my first choice for that set-up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Couldn't he get like 80 pound braid on there and have the same diameter as the 17-20 pound mono?

Thats the thing i luvvvvvvvvv about braided line!

One fish that runs ya into the rocks and cuts yer line is all it took for me to decide:D

Some say its way too much, but it works! At least for the type of fishing i normally do.

Also luvvvvvv them ugly stix, great rod and good price, also check out them tsunami rods too, another great rod at a good price.

·
Registered
31,378 Posts
Unless you need casting distance I'd go with 50lb braid. 30 doesn't have much abrasion resistance.

Just don't forget that the reel's not built for 50lb line. Set the drag as if were the mono the reel is rated for.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I use 30lb pp on the same setup. MOstly fish for bass but I will use the same thing for all other fish. Never had a problem with the pp and it is still light enough for fluking....Just my opinion.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts