BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched and decided on a Shimano 4500 and 7' MH Ugly stik. I am new to striper fishing but I think this setup would be good for fishing out of my boat in the big d. I am also going to use this setup for catfishing.

Now as for the line... I know nothing about braided line and have never used it but with all of the hype, I think it is time to try it out. I think I am going to go with power pro, but what lb. test should I get? Color? and the 150 yd spool or 300?

·
Registered
928 Posts
i would stick with 30lb power pro you need a backing of either mono or rubber band so it don't slip or dig in and use a leader either mono or fluro. i use the double uni knot to join leader to braid. just make more wraps with the braid then polamar knot with mono to the hook. its a little hard to get used to but once you do thats all you'll use

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
It might be eaiser just to go to a b&t store and have them fill it. You should also think about the stern heavy duty braid.I've got both but actually prefer the stren.At the 30 lb test Fire line is also good.If you choose to do it your self you need to put a mono backing on the spool the use a back to back uni knot to splice the braid to the mono. As far as color goes I use the moss green or black,there's red and white too.I've also seen yellow.I don't think color matters as long as you use a leader.In clear water use flourocarbon line in murky/stained water you can use mono.I usually use leader line 5lbs lighter than my main line.I've got 50lb braid on most of my rods for salt,I've got 30lb on a 8 ft ugly stick,I use in the back and on the river.However I go big when on the river 9-10' rod with 50lb test for live lining herring.Good luck let us know how you do.

FC:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice guys. i think i will go with the 30 lb. power pro. might just take it to a b&t store and save the headache that i know i would get haha. and as soon as i get my boat back and get a chance to wet a line you can be sure i will be posting reports. thanks again.

·
Registered
928 Posts
i will also second having the b&t filling the spool and have them show you a few knots.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
tbarb227 said:
thanks for the advice guys. i think i will go with the 30 lb. power pro. might just take it to a b&t store and save the headache that i know i would get haha. and as soon as i get my boat back and get a chance to wet a line you can be sure i will be posting reports. thanks again.
You'll be happy with that setup for sure. Learn the Palomar knot and get a couple pairs of scissors and you'llbe set. Be carefull not to cut your hands when pulling tight braid lines. Use a cloth or glove! Good luck.;)

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The 4500 should take about 50 yards of #30 mono for backing and top off with about 150 yards of I suggest #40 PP. The thirty pound is too thin for easy handling on the heavy weight set up you have. You should never break the 30# but it will tangle and wind not much easier.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the great advice. i will be placing my order soon for the new setup and hopefully get out on the water soon also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts