BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stripped the mono off my Triton 50W and Penn International 50 and now I'm thinking of an alternative rather then all mono. Was hoping for some suggestions on what to re-spool with? Was thinking of doing either 300yds of Dacron backing or Spectra, in the 60lb range. Then toping it off with 50lb mono, I like Ande. I was thinking HI-Vis but with chunking in mind I'd rather just keep it nice and simple. I would like my reels equipped for the man in the blue suite when I go to the canyons. I don't have the luxury of having a spread of 80's so I want to be ready for whatever comes into my spread. Any suggestions????

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
I would get the new Momoi spectra.. do the 80lb and then put a nice 50 yard of 130 lb top shot!

Put the topshop on or the wind on so it makes it easy to change.. then you can get one with a windon of like 60lbs flouro or something and change it with a simple loop to loop for chunking!

Very versatile man!

Thats my first choice as i am changing everything over this year!

·
Registered
386 Posts
We put 80lb test on all our 50w reels...it gives you a little bigger range in the drag you can put on the fish. Chunking we up the drag for bigger fish (or in your case the man in the blue suit) and trolling we will back it off a little. I dont think the difference in line capacity is that much...maybe 100 yards on the Penns buts it still gives you 500+ yards of line.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
I use 80 pound Jerry Brown spectra backing and then 100 suffix clear for a top shot on my Tiagra 50 wides. It is pointless to use 130lb on a 50 since most of them don't have enough drag capacity to use the 130lb line to it's full advantage.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have rollerguide rods, I have the outerbanks 6footer w/ eyewholes. Heavy enough for the serious stuff and the 6ft makes it fun. With the rollerguides i've experienced some lines getting caught and broken off on jigging set-ups and just in general. I was thinking of spooling all braid but Gary and I were afraid it will wear my guides down or make
grooves. Therefor what I was thinking was spooling with about 300yds of braid and then toping it off with 300yds or as much mono as i can fit. Maybe even less braid, but what I want to do is get as much line as I possibly can on my reel assuming the braid won't show unless Mr. Blue Marlin comes in the spread or Big Eye Tuna.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
you can do that also Fighting Irish..

Just back it with as much as you want and then more mono on top... i would say you do not really need more than 100yds of mono... if they big blue or big eye take that much line or whatever then you are down to the braid which i do not hink will mess up your guides at all as by the time you have serious pressure on the fish it will be boat side i would assume or atleast less than 100 yards away...

If you hit mr blue you going to be backing around anyway..

even with a big eye you might end up moving around so the guides and such might not receive as much pressure as you may think!!

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
why change what works? personally i think 60lb mono is fine have had no problems whatsoever with it.. tuna jack likes the 80lb mono his accurates really dont hold alot of 80 and thats no big deal both of us use mamoi high catch smoke and between the two boats in the past 7 years we have 6 blue releases one as high as 600+ also last years 228lb bigeye.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sportfishingusa said:
you can do that also Fighting Irish..

Just back it with as much as you want and then more mono on top... i would say you do not really need more than 100yds of mono... if they big blue or big eye take that much line or whatever then you are down to the braid which i do not hink will mess up your guides at all as by the time you have serious pressure on the fish it will be boat side i would assume or atleast less than 100 yards away...

If you hit mr blue you going to be backing around anyway..

even with a big eye you might end up moving around so the guides and such might not receive as much pressure as you may think!!
Good point!

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
:rolleyes: ;) i try

anything else just ask.. thats what all of us barners are here for!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
marlinmatt said:
why change what works? personally i think 60lb mono is fine have had no problems whatsoever with it.. tuna jack likes the 80lb mono his accurates really dont hold alot of 80 and thats no big deal both of us use mamoi high catch smoke and between the two boats in the past 7 years we have 6 blue releases one as high as 600+ also last years 228lb bigeye.
Matt, all of those fish on 50's? I know the mono works fine but I haven't had a big Blue on yet and got a feeling this year might be the year. Just want to be prepared when the time comes. I want to hold as much line as I possibly can.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Hey irish,

Keep in mind that the size of your tackle also has to do with the angler and handling of the boat..

when a big blue start greyhounding or start moving you got to back down on it and need someone good at the wheel with the trottles..

you got to learn to back down, turn, move foward all in the blink of an eye because that fish will move faster than you think...

a 300lb blue may turn the oposite way and pull away as you back down and then come around and start hounding towards your bow when you need ot hammer it down and get it back behind the boat!

I had a blue makingme do 360s for about 30 minutes a few years back!

lol

It is fun but you can do it man!

Whatever you decide to go with you will get one of those suckas this year!

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
If you were not so far away i could have a good reccomendation for you but i see pa and sea isle city! lol to far

but if you got any other questions you can call me

848-333-8949

thats my cell anytime.

·
Registered
322 Posts
A lot of boats have released Blue marlin on TLD 20 and 25's w/ straight mono. I have caught 4 blue marlin on 30TW's and really didn't feel outclassed. They were on big boats with a good man at the wheel who wasn't afraid to put the boat in reverse and go get the fish. I really don't get the whole spectra/dacron mono top shot. If you a fishing on a party boat and can't chase, fine. Private/charter boats with lot's of power have caught most of the big fish over the years with reels filled with straight mono.All of the Carolina charter boats I have fished on over the years(yellowfin and blue/white marlin) have straight mono on the reels rigged carolina style to the hook or an improved clinch not to the swivel. It's not fancy but it does work.

·
Registered
382 Posts
marlinmatt said:
I second this,i do the same on all my 50's so far so good

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
80# mono

will take just about any fish. If its too big for that good luck

·
Registered
67 Posts
you really dont need that kind of advantage, bc if you figure you will not be putting anymore that 20-30 lbs of drag on a fish usually i have worked and been offshore since i was ten i have seen alot of big fish taken on 50 lb mono

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tunatango1234 said:
you really dont need that kind of advantage, bc if you figure you will not be putting anymore that 20-30 lbs of drag on a fish usually i have worked and been offshore since i was ten i have seen alot of big fish taken on 50 lb mono
I'm not really worried about the strength of the line as much as the reel's capacity. I'm trying to get as much line on my 50's as I possibly can. So i figured about 200yds of braid and the rest mono. But it seems like more people are having no problems with just all mono.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts