BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fished the gambler today. mudhole or shark river reef area and dogs all over. conger eels were thick on one spot. i picked 15 nice ling and at least 20 dogs and 4 ocean pout. i did manage to win the pool. nice to come home from fishing with all your money and a couple tasty meals

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Fishing a double rig with both hooks down low helps. Plus with the dogs around, most of the cod seem to have their noses in the mud grubbing for crabs.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Was there with you on the Gambler and like you said it was dog city. Got enough ling for a nice family meal though. Where are the draggers when you need them? Reduce those dogs for protein please!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Gaff and release!

I've taken them on super slow days.
Not bad if you prepare it right.

...did I just say that?!?

·
Registered
31,498 Posts
Fishing a double rig with both hooks down low helps. Plus with the dogs around, most of the cod seem to have their noses in the mud grubbing for crabs.
that is the ticket the lower the hook the les dog bites ..........you will stiill get em but not as bad.......the thing that stinks ......I like that real high hook for the cod bite ....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you had any jewelry on your hook or you had a hook up high it was all dogfish. the trick was to keep it real still on the bottom and dont swing on the big dogfish bites. a few guys put tiny gulp pieces on. they did good. saw a bunch of nice seabass caught one one piece we fished. woulda been nice to keep those

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Sabiki,

Where were you on the boat? My buddy and I were on the port quarter all day and saw the same thing.

Fred

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Can't picture you, maybe one of the younger guys towards the starboard side of the stern. I was the guy with the German fleck camo rain gear over orange bibs.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You just cannot elude those dogfish anywhere this year. They were so thick off block Island this weekend as well. I fished a single hook 6 inches off the bottom for cod with no bells or whistles and still got 20 or so of those creatures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts