BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, i was looking at that online chart site that Nightstrikes posted, and it looks like Beach Haven inlet and Little Egg inlet are the same inlet. Is this correct? If so, why the two names? The only thing that I can imagine is that you come on north side of the the one shoal that is about 90% outside of the Colregs demarcation line, then you are in Beach Haven inlet. If you're to the south of that shoal, then you're in Little Egg inlet.

here's (hopefully) the link to the chart:
http://205.156.4.82/cgi-bin/EyeSpy.dll?getbrwu&D:/EyeSpy/images/Online_Chart_Viewer/12316.axs&650&500&3876&1968&2&bgcolor=%23FFFFFF&buttons=/cgi-bin/EyeSpyResources/buttons&alig=0& contenttype=image/jpeg&325&250

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Going back to the last century, there were two separate inlets a couple of miles apart. Beach Haven inlet was the one to the North. That eventually filled in, leaving just Little Egg Inlet. Little Egg Inlet proper is buoyed to the south side of the inlet, along what is called Little Beach. The north side of the inlet, open to the beating from storms, has had many different incarnations over the years, most famously known as Tucker's Island, including lighthouse, schoolhouse and other buildings on it. (Fish the inlet enough and you will sometimes hook an old cedar shake from one of them.) For most of the latter part of the 20th century, the north side of the inlet was just one long unnavigable sand bar. Within the past 10 years, a hole has opened in the bar and there is navigable water (5-10 foot) that runs about 25 yards off of the beach, allowing you to head east-northeast out of the inlet. It is not buoyed, and shifts some year-year, storm-storm. This is what most people today call Beach Haven Inlet, even though you are correct, it is part of the contiguous body of water with Little Egg Inlet. With regards to charts, I think the name Beach Haven Inlet has never been removed from charts and was just left there.

[ 01-12-2006, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: captadamnj ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Thanks Capt.Adam,,

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
From the web -

Tucker?s Island, New Jersey

In 1868, a two-story lighthouse was erected on Tucker?s Island with a tower above, painted red, 50 feet above sea level. The light sent a beam of six red flashes followed by one short white flash and was visible twelve miles out to sea. The lighthouse was swept into the sea in 1927.

Tucker?s Island, the first resort along the New Jersey coast, had a remarkable but short-lived history. From the time it was originally settled in 1735 until it was a barely visible sandbar in 1945, Tucker?s Island, also called Sea Haven, was a prosperous seashore village with a lighthouse, a life saving station, two hotels, more than 70 cottages, and a schoolhouse.

[ 01-12-2006, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: captadamnj ]

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I call it the north cut. I have not been through the marked part of the inlet in a few years.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
If you ever want to shoot an afternoon this winter, stop in Scott's B&T in Mystic and tell them you are interested in the history of the inlet. If you promise not to spill coffee on them, you might be able to get them to pull out the charts they have in the back for Little Egg Inlet that date back nearly a century. Neat stuff.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
In the late 70s, BH inlet followed the tip of Holgate around and out and was marked by the CG with buoys. LE was south of Tuckers I running SE a long way also marked. Is BH closed now? Havent been there since 1979. Had no idea that Tuckers I was anything other than a sand island and big sand bar. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
great information. thanks capt. adam.

by the way, i have a picture somewhere of corson's when there were actually two inlets there. weakfish creek actually went all the way thru to the open ocean. i got it from a site that someone posted of pictures from the early 1900s of the coast.

you know, i'd like to bring back tucker's island. i'm going to ask the state and the army corps of engineers to buck up some money, and then pump lots of sand so that i can put a nice new beach-front house right there. of course the beach will have to be maintained, so i'll just make the state pay for that. after all, i'll be entitled. everyone that has a beach front house is entitled. nature should play no part in me being able to have my beachfront house.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
They built a lifesize model of the lighthouse on rt 9 at the seaport. You can still run aground on Tuckers Island if your not careful. From personal experience you look really dumb pushing your boat off a bar with hundreds of boats in the inlet watching you. Hard on the bottom paint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts