BASS BARN banner
201 - 220 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, looks like my engines are having issues staying up. At least I don't have that problem yet. 🤪🤪🤪
Heading down tomorrow to yank her out of the water and inspect for anything catastrophic. I really hope there's nothing major. 🤞

·
Registered
122 Posts
Anyone else have a similar issue with a Yamaha 4.3L? One buddy says it could just be the fill caps that checked the fluid on, but didn't have new o-rings so I had to reuse the old ones.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
I don't think that the fill caps would do that but you should check the screws on the side, they let pressure out to move the motors up and down by hand, on mine it's a large straight slot screw on the side of the motor mount. Re using the fill cap rings should not be a problem.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ah yes, the manual release screws. They are on my list to check as well.
It would be awesome if they were the culprit. I think I can check them without even pulling it out of the water... 🤔

I'm hoping I can dodge the rain enough tomorrow to do what I need to. 🤞

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
I don't have a Yamaha but if BOTH motors are suddenly doing it and they were fine before i would check the last thing i did to them good luck i hope it's a easy fix.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, manual release screws both tight. Fluid level was ok. No signs of any leaks. Made sure to use brand new o rings on the fill plugs this time.
🤷‍♂️
We'll see what happens...

Was actually a decent afternoon down there, rain held off. Didn't see anyone coming in from fishing, but heard a conversation on the VHF about some shorts being caught. Well, maybe next weekend...

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Hmmm i would imagine if it were the O rings the fluid would be low

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Got out today with some fantastic weather, caught about 30 fluke and 10 seabass drifting on a reef, I had a few minnows and forgot the bait cooler so no squid. The only other bait was some large gulp twisters, don't know what gulp calls them. I brought home my limit of fluke and 2 really nice knotheads, it was great to bend a rod for the first time this year. I almost lost the big one 22", I had it in the net and it jumped out, she did not want to go back in but I had to let her calm down and got her. That was pretty amazing because you really don't get second chances like that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow, great report. The fluke are biting in the ocean already? That's a surprise. What was the water temp out there?

Congrats BTW, yea, usually you don't get second chances with fluke to net them. 😱

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hmm, seems a little cool for this time of year, doesn't it?

I'll find out tomorrow when I head down. My retired buddy who was keeping me posted during the week on the engine has been busy with some family stuff.

When I pulled it last weekend, I didn't see anything wrong. 🤷‍♂️

I'll probably get down there sometime around 11 hopefully. I really hope both engines are still above the water. 🤞

Anyone going to brave the wind this weekend?

·
Registered
17,482 Posts
I was going to fish a bit before the wind, but there won’t be any tide by the time the wind kicks up at 9 am. The trees are already starting to indicate the wind picking up.
Time to do some yardwork.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Well it's really honkin out there not looking good for today either, sitting here hoping to make it to 7 for end of call. I have no back up plan for today, maybe do some crabbin at the dock. It'll be good to see my son and his wife though I don't get too many opportunities.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
So I went to FH looking for hammer jigs. Old fashion chrome hammer jigs. None in stock. Maybe 100+ jigs of all shapes and sizes....but no hammer jigs!! None at TD either!?! I'll have to expand my search. Nobody fishes these with all the beautiful multi color jigs of all shapes and sizes out there! You'd think......

·
Registered
122 Posts
LoL, that sure is the truth, lures do a good job of catching us.

Went down on Saturday, and thankfully, the engines were still up and out of the water. I also installed a small USB charger and farted around for a bit. Checked on a couple of my buddies' boats as well.
Man, the wind was cranking, and I heard it was even worse on Sunday. Hopefully it calms down for next weekend.

201 - 220 of 236 Posts