BASS BARN banner
221 - 236 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hella stoked w/ the forecast, bouy weather has the afternoon/evening a little sketchy tho. Gonna launch from chestnut neck, hopefully get some minnows there as well. Probably gonna do a half hour of break in around the river then head to the bay for a few drifts. I might head to the reef just for the heck of it to get a few drifts in and some break in hours in. Scallop fisherman buddy caught a 33" flounder in 300' of water last week and a few more jumbo's.
What VHF channel do u guys like for the bay/reef area?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I monitor 9 and 16, once I make contact I usually switch to 10.
Looking forward to tomorrow as well. I think I'm heading right to the reef. I know the water temp has cooled off a bit, but it's probably fly season by now. I can't stand those evil flies.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Hey Built tell Mayhem & Violence... The Sister's... Gus says Hi 👋.

They'll know who it is ... They're a couple of my Drinking 🍻 Partners. 👍😂

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Did are 45 mins of 2000 rpms then headed to the fish factory area. Weeds were terrible, lots of boats and was missing the trolling motor. SW wind just pushin ya across the channel to north side. Picked up around 11ish and ran to the reef, north cut had at least 10' the whole way.
First drift picked a short then a 19"er. Picked another spot near by and got a healthy 22". All fish on gulp w/ a minnow, teaser bite except the 22" on the bucktail. Beat that area to death while the crowd showed up. Only picked a short here or there maybe 3 total and ended the day w/ 3 keeper size cbass to 14". Fish didn't feel terribly cold but the gulp sure did when changing jigs/baits. S wind really picked up around 3/4ish
I was on 16 and I don't think I ever heard so many boats taking on water, Heli rescue and that boat that lost power at BI drifting into north jetty.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We managed one slot keeper today at GSS. I started at LE, but we were only managing to get sea bass, I think we got one short flounder there. We moved all over today, LE, then moved in off the red tower then went further north off the next white tower, then to GSS.

Yea, was also crazy to hear about the stuff on 16. Man, I know the coast guard has their checklists, but geeze, the jetty incident is not the time to fill in every single piece of information on the form. What do you have to say on the radio to get a rescue boat moving quickly? Thankfully it turned out ok, but it could have gone south.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yeah the BI radio call was awful. I'm sure he was trying to restart engine, throw the hook or grab a tow line while the coasties wanted him on the vhf the whole time. Heavy accent as well which was hard to understand.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yea, I really think they need amended procedures for fast paced calls. You could tell once Barnegat Light got on the radio that guy knew what to ask for quickly.
Well, alls well that ends well I suppose. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fished inside with bucktail/gulp/minnow with teaser 18" up - teaser just plain hook with minnow.
2 slot flounder Saturday morning outgoing in a hole heading toward AC.
2 slot, 1 18"+ and 1 weakfish Sunday morning outgoing. Slots out of the same spot as Saturday. The 18" and weakfish along the marshes on NE side of the bay.
Of note is that all keeper fish hit the plain teaser hook with just a minnow.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yea, I really think they need amended procedures for fast paced calls. You could tell once Barnegat Light got on the radio that guy knew what to ask for quickly.
Well, alls well that ends well I suppose. 🤷‍♂️
My son is in the Coast Guard and it amazed me that right out of boot camp he was in the radio room alone.
You always think there’s a seasoned person on the other line, but that’s not always true. It’s usually the “non rates” manning the radio at the small stations.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yea, I'm not sure what the correct answer is, but the reality of the situation is that it was a nice weather Saturday which is a busy day, and the intial station that answered was Sector Delaware Bay which is the big office for the area. It was like the guy was reading a script very slowly.

I have the utmost respect for the Coast Guard and all those that sign up to help people. I just hope that there's an after action debrief for the incident and an adjustment is made in that office. It was an extremely fast paced incident from the sounds of it that thankfully turned out ok.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Won’t be out until the weekend, spending a few days in Matamoras PA in a cabin with our own waterfalls and ponds. I’m teaching the local trout not to bite a chartreuse rooster tail. These little brownies are fun. I’ve never caught any trout before. I cut off 2 of the trebles and mashed down the barb so the release is easier.
Plant Natural environment Natural landscape Wood Terrestrial plant

221 - 236 of 236 Posts