BASS BARN banner
261 - 280 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
I had to be back early because I was on call at 5pm, I had to wait in line for fuel and didn't hit the LER until 11am. Started at the north side and did 1 drift, picked up a 16" in the first 5 min and 1 nice hit that got off and the nothing. I probably could have done better with a few drift adjustments but had to head in. I had 2 squid and spinner rigs with sea robin strips and a chartreuse 4oz bucktail and gulp, no teaser which is unusual for me, I always fish white with a teaser and fresh meat. I was holding bottom good with 5oz but the tail needed a lot of line to get to the bottom.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Well, someone turned off the switch. Not much biting today. Two short sea bass, that's all. I had high hopes based on the previous weeks fishing, but big change for the worse this weekend.
Water was warm up top (73 degrees) and very clear. Didn't seem like people caught much in the bay either. Well, guess there's always next week.

@jdps150 , nice meeting you today Joe. Great putting a face to a name. Thanks for stopping by and shooting the breeze for a bit. Hopefully you can get out there this week and change the direction of these latest reports.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Got to chestnut neck at 7, fog was too thick for my dad to feel safe. Around 8ish the fog started to burn off and away we went. Started on the north side and caught some short c-bass and 2 short flounder. Made a wiggle hear and there and dad got a 18.25. Went to a weird spot that doesn't make sense that's been producing and got a 19" and some shorts. Got tired of the slime and moved east but away from the giant fleet. Picked some shorts here and there but nothing that was repeatable. Went to the eastern edge and picked up about dozen shorts but no slots in a hour. Half a dozen 8"-11" c-bass and 20+ short flounder.

Drift got nuts and sock didn't help most of afternoon. All fish on plane hook w/gulp and minnow, I never used a piece of squid or meat. I've been going small rather then my usual 6"/8" gulp grub w/ meat/minnow. Hopefully this week does something to improve fishin for next weekend.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Well, someone turned off the switch. Not much biting today. Two short sea bass, that's all. I had high hopes based on the previous weeks fishing, but big change for the worse this weekend.
Water was warm up top (73 degrees) and very clear. Didn't seem like people caught much in the bay either. Well, guess there's always next week.

@jdps150 , nice meeting you today Joe. Great putting a face to a name. Thanks for stopping by and shooting the breeze for a bit. Hopefully you can get out there this week and change the direction of these latest reports.
Agree, good to put a face to a name! Great to meet you as well. Hope to post some reports !

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Yea, I saw them just as I was coming in yesterday. He was backing away from a Parker just as I was turning around the backside of the island. I thought he was going to come after me, but thankfully he decided not to. Didn't have anything to check anyway, but just wanted to get back to the dock at that point. That's their favorite spot to sit it seems like, can see who comes in from outside, and the people running in don't see them until its too late. 🤪

@Built_in_USA , not asking for a spot burn, but how deep were you fishing? We caught 2 short sea bass all day, and that's it. Didn't see anyone else do much either. The action you saw was drastically different. If you'd rather not make it public, can you PM me?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
We were at Little Egg reef, we stayed outside of fleet on small piece's. We caught most of the shorts on east edge at end of day. Keepers were caught by noon down wind by maybe 1/4 mile maybe 1/2 mile from fleet. 1 keeper right on structure other open sandy bottom but inside reef boundary.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
Again, with a late start, steering was getting a bit jumpy while turning so I topped of the fluid, and it took about an hour to get all of the air out. headed out to LER and had no action 3 drifts. Headed in and decided to try the inlet and caught 1 16" in 15' on a white bucktail and white gulp. The helm worked perfectly and that made me very happy, glad I had the kit and fluid, I would recommend having one on hand if needed, would have been a pain to wait.

261 - 280 of 302 Posts