BASS BARN banner
281 - 300 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
When are these bottom water temps going to warm up? LER and GSS have been awful the past 2 weekends. THe inlet has been OK but I prefer to get out front away from those darn Green Heads. How far out do I have to go to get some decent bottom water temps so the flounder are so tight lipped?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had to get my truck set up for trailer brakes today so couldn't use the boat. Knocked out a couple quick jobs this morning then went to northern lbi surf. My dad and I managed about 20/25 shorts(most were like 10 inches). I got 1 slot at 17 3/4" and we both had about 2 each that were real close to 17". I caught 2 big skates that can really fool ya when the waves are sucking them back out.
Water was frigid, could barely put feet in water for me. Yesterdays Sat shots showed surface temps in the 70's but yesterday's blow definitely did some upwelling.
Fish caught on gulp sand eels and fish bites 4" shrimp was my dads hot bait. Birds working hard on some nice size spearing, would of loved to cast net a bucket of them for chum.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Launched the skiff around 6ish at mikes. Had one solid bass bite then just blues biting our tails off. I did hook a cownose ray on a 8-17lb rod w/ 2500 stradic, after a min or 2 I knew it wasn't a bass. Figured we would give flounder a try since I had my gulp w/ me. Slow pick at fish factory area till tide turned. We probably had 20 shorts to 16"s in about 3 hours. Gulp shrimp was the flavor today.
Wind was blowing in the morning then died off then came right back. Quite a few boats went to inlet then came back inside.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Launched skiff at 5 this morning at Mikes. Bait/fish jumping and splashing everywhere, tried everything but only got 1 12" bluefish. Once tide started flowing out we tried for flounder, wacked 4 fish to 16.75"s in first 10 mins. Beat that drop off to death for just a few more shorts. Tried fish factory but not sure I even got a sniff there. Tried the channel in middle of flat and picked a few more 16"ers. Not little rats like last time, today was all 15"s or better but couldn't get that 17"
Couldn't get boat started when we wanted to head back to dock. It seems like a throttle position deal since it was working when shifting the shifter around in neutral. Gave me trouble in morning then worked fine all morning. A nice fella in a sea hunt w/ twins gave me a quick tug to mikes channel then trolling motor back to ramp. Of course I get home and it wants to fire right up...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Nice man, hard to get a limit nowadays w/ the 17-18" slot.
We took my boat up north to belmar, went to sea girt reef. Never ran a boat up there so we just picked a cluster of structure away from the fleets. Half hour later we got a keeper and some shorts. Worked the same little spot all day for our 4 fish, 3-18"ers and 1 slot. Brother had to throw back a 23.5" towards end of day since I had already caught all our overs. Nice drift most of day and partly cloudy made for a nice day. Not the double digit fish we wanted but at least we got a couple meals. PInk and white or white 5/6" gulp grubs w/ minnow and sea robin was best but only got 1 sea robin. We said we were gonna strip out a keeper but never did it. Only 1 11" sea bass

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm hoping for some spot to show up in the bay. Used to be easy in the Delaware bay to catch a quick load of spot.
Driving to absecon just for spot is too far out of the way. And the place by lbi is always closed when we go by the heading to barnegat Municipal ramp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
B
I'm hoping for some spot to show up in the bay. Used to be easy in the Delaware bay to catch a quick load of spot.
Driving to absecon just for spot is too far out of the way. And the place by lbi is always closed when we go by the heading to barnegat Municipal ramp.
Have you tried Empire Fishing & Tackle, the new shop on Route 9 at the lake in Tuckerton? He might have them or be willing to get them.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
Friday we made an attempt at some blowfish and only caught 2 keepers after 2 hours of chumming on the incoming. Kept them in the livewell and let them go before heading home. Switched gears and joined the fleet in the inlet for a very slow bite. Started out with a white bucktail and sea robin and a spinner glow squid lure and caught a couple of shorts, my wife caught the 1 keeper at 17" so we had dinner at least! It was a beautiful day on the water. I've been using this Picaridin bug spray and 1 application worked all day to keep the greenheads off.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
Late start again, decided to try off the red tower in 30', I have the Navionics Vision+ chart and it looked like interesting bottom. Caught 11 very small fluke and a sea robin, kept me busy for a few hours with bunker splashing all around. Had all 3 rods hooked up and caught 2 tailor blues, first of the year for me. Headed in and the inlet drift looked promising so I dropped the lines in 13' and the wind was taking me to little beach and caught a 17" before I got the bucktail in. Chartreus bucktail with gulp - nothing, same one with sea robin- bluefish, all fluke on my hand tied spinner rigs with glow squid and strip baits, no minnows.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Fished little egg reef this morning, nice out in morning. Bounced around away from the fleet till I found a small stretch holding enough fish to work . Hit it hard for a few hours and put 3 fish in the box. P/W 6" gulp grub put the fish in the box. Started to get sporty so ran in early.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
Today is a sandbar day with my daughter and 3 kids, next week we'll head to the OBX for a well-deserved rest. We usually go to Buxton, but this year will be to Corova. Hopefully I can catch some fish off the beach this year, I'm used to having the Red Drum B&T just down the street, so I'll have to be creative on the bait situation, maybe bring a cast net. "Shenanigans" will be lonely for the next few weeks sitting at the dock.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Fished little egg reef yesterday. Forecasts the night before said snotty in morning and nice in afternoon. We got down there around 9 and flags were laying on the pole. Little bit swells left over but glassy till around noon when the ENE picked up. We only caught like 1 short in 3 hours and no trash fish. Finally found a drift w/ some life but the biggest was 16.5". Sea robin helped big time but they were hard to come by. On our 5th last drift we found the sea robins and lots of them but it was really the last drift. Seems like meat really helps when the fish aren't really chewing, wanted a keeper to strip out so bad. Maybe 20 shorts, 2 skates, and 5 sea robins.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Little egg on a friends boat Saturday. Fish weren't chewing much but we did box 1 fish, Fast drift and a little rougher than forecasted.
Belmar on my boat today, fished the reefs east and south. Wind honking out of SSE, 2 socks out by 11. Found one 50' stretch w/ a few fish but that was it. Dad threw one back right at 17" but too close for comfort, did every trick in the book to get 17"

3 skunks in a row for me...

281 - 300 of 302 Posts