BASS BARN banner

Little Egg, Great Bay 2022

43K views 338 replies 26 participants last post by  Re-Bait 
#1 ·
Ok here we go! I uncover the boat today! Welcome back and hope we can get a sticky, I'll message the Mods. Good Luck and please let's keep this to fishing, there are other threads for your political opinions. I will wet a line at the dock today, hopefully some white perch around.

#302 · (Edited)
LER was slow today, looked like it was going to be a fast drift but it was under 1 kt and was on the bottom with 5oz. I didn't get bait or ice because I really didn't think I was fishing today, left the dock with several bags of Gulp. Had lots of taps, and not too many hard hits, 1 short and 1 17" that I didn't even net because it looked small but it measured out, so I ate it for dinner tonight. Glad I got out today, black flies were there but they left me alone....Picaridin!!! I love it.

There is a dredge at the end of the creek but they told me that the pipes will be well marked. I guess the last crew felt that way too. I have a guy in Forked River who may be able to help.

#308 ·
I'd have to say we just had (on Aqvilla) one of my top 10 if not top 5 striper trips. Sunday. Fish were all over on bait. We were in tight net Brant Beach. We released 15+ fish most 40 pounds. Had Thomas (12 yrs old) on boat he had 5 to 45 pounds. His biggest stripers ever. I'd attach a pic but imgur is fighting me

#312 ·
Late report. Saturday was a late start, had to change out a dead house battery, luck for me Steiger batteries are easy to replace. Broke the inlet and headed north with no activity at all so we went to LER wrecks and found many short sea bass. We decided to try a little deeper and went to 70' and found all of the 12" fish, 1 12" weakie and a snapper blue. Drove toward home and drpped in a pair of mojos and trolled for an hour without a touch.
Went for a ride to Ship Bottom yesterday and the bunker schools were around and saw a few gannets diving here and there but no other activity.

#313 ·
Went to Chestnut Neck yesterday, bought a trailer and they are going get it set up. I'm very happy to be fully independent this year, I've had to have the boat pulled blocked and stored at the marina and was never really happy about it. The crew at Chestnut Neck were great to deal with, I'm hoping to be back in the water this week. There were a lot of people trolling the river, and it was really nice back there, but I didn't see any bent rods. There were some anchored behind Holgate in an angry 2' chop, that didn't look like too much fun.

#319 ·
Did the annual Absecon bay Dave trip this morning, close enough to LEI... Freezing cold and not much sun to warm it up. Left my gloves on roof of truck when I went to take a leak before we left. As usual the trip flew by, felt like 2 hours tops even w/ Dave spending a extra hour.
Slow start but he found the fish by 730/8ish I would guess.
I got a 22" then dad's 1st fish was a 30" that we boxed. We picked a few more there after 3 or 4 drifts. He moved to another spot that produced pretty quickly and got maybe 5 more. Tried gulp for a little bit but no bites so back to using spot. Hit our best spot again and got a few more. I threw a fresh spot on then I started to see the entrance to his creek and couldn't believe it was already 1 oclock.
Ended up w/ at least a dozen to the boat keeping 2, I gut hooked a bonus tag fish that was bleeding so I kept it. I must of missed at least 5 bites if not 8-10, dad missed about the same probably less, and Dave caught a couple and missed a couple. All fish caught on spot.
Novel over...

#321 ·
Last year we must of caught 25 fish, pretty much every spot had fish mostly on gulp. Finished w/ spot that day. Unfortunately our charter this year was the 1st day of improvement after 2 bad days in row. But some fish is better then none especially when it's frigid, or at least felt frigid after weeks of 70's. We plan to fish with him at least once a year till he quits.

#322 ·
Got out today with some pretty amazing weather, started off the red tower with a white and chartreuse mojo. Had a nice bite and brought in a 40" and heard everyone talking about multiple hookups. I figured it was game on and trolled around w/o another touch all day.
Birds started going crazy and I chased them for a while but any jigs I had remained untouched. I did see a guy near me tossing a huge topwater plug and hooking up but I had nothing similar, I did see another boat trolling some smaller sized umbrellas and he boated a couple of fish. Hope someone did better than me, back at the dock by 4 and still happy.
2 whales off the red tower put on a nice show, I didn't get to close, did get some video.

#324 ·
I'm thinking sand eels because the birds that were feeding were terns and they eat small, maybe rainfish. I started tossing a small diamond jig and couldn't get a hit, tried a small plastic fish with the same results. There was a guy fishing near me with a guy on the bow with a fly rod and a guy with a 6-8" surface plug and he was catching; the fly guy had no bites. It was really weird.

#325 ·
I was kicking myself after my last trip for not trying a popper/spook. Rainy/no sun should of been perfect for topwater, but it never crossed my mind to clip one on. I had a few yozuri 3d inshore poppers that match peanuts perfectly and some medium size spooks w/ me. About the only thing I haven't tried this fall is topwater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.