BASS BARN banner
261 - 278 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
The weekend was a wash for me, hit LE Saturday with nothing but a few shorts, lots of sea robins and one surprise sundial. Then we headed off the red tower in about 35' with no luck. Did find the birds working the inlet so hit some small blues on the way in. Got nothing drifting the south side of the inlet on Sunday, fast drift strong wind and rough seas again birds playing so blues gave us something to play with before calling it a day.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Went up north on my favorite party boat. Fish chewed well all day even w/ no drift. Heavy sticky structure just the way I like it. I had 5 keepers, kept 2 threw a 25.5" back at the end which was my biggest. A 12+ pounder, 10+, and many fish over 26"s were caught in first half hour. I only got a foul hooked 23" out of the morning bite, really had the blood pumpin w/ all the big fish hitting the deck. I thought I had a jumbo too since it was foul hooked. Seas were nice and water was very clear, especially for 2 days after a tropical system rolled by. As usual almost every keeper was caught on jigged gulp.
I'm either gonna try to get out front on a friends boat this weekend or hit the creeks w/ my boat. I heard some flat ones were in the icw so I might give that a shot if I can't make it happen in the back.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
I need to start catching keepers out there on the reef. It’s a new fishery to me, hopefully I’ll get the hang of it. Some nice fish here.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Went on a friends boat yesterday, made a left out of inlet. Threw the lines around 7ish and tied her back up around 5ish. Steady pick for the most part, drift was pretty slow the majority of the day. We ended up with maybe 30/40 shorts and 8 keepers. Biggest fish was 26"+, should of weighed it at jingles but I was beat and hungry. I've never broke the 7lb mark and yesterdays fish might of did it and most likely would of. Didn't really matter what color, I used grey, p/w, white. Squid, spearing, minnows, and gulp was our bait.
We were possibly the first ones on the spinner sharks outside of inlet. Capt. pulls us up to them and 1st cast I hooked up on a 3000 stradic ci4, awesome fight for 5 mins before he bit me off. You could of had a blast with them, awesome action for kids. 1 big ray we had to chase around for 5 mins before we cut him off at the boat, another ray tried stealing my buddies sea robin at the boat. 1 sea bass, 40ish sea robins, 2-3 skates. Good size sea turtle came up to us, loaded with big barnacles on top of shell. Water was stained so we couldn't sea if anything was under or with him. Once he went down we never saw him again.
Hopefully back at it this weekend

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
got a REAL late start today but trolled up a spanish mac off of holgate
was dragging a clark spoon (w/ inline weight) and a deadly dick - mac hit that.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Tough day yesterday, fish were not chewing very well. Made a left at lei, got to where we left them and man was there a lot of boats. We ended up w/ 2 for the box at 3 and 4 lbs. Got to area around 730ish left at 4ish. Sea robins made us plenty of meat but didn't help us. Heard some chatter on the radio but nothin great. Hopefully the forecast changes for tomorrow so we can get a another shot before next weekend.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Did the belmar thing yesterday, nothing good. 6 keepers for whole boat(80 somethin people), not many shorts either. Gulp/sinkers/fish were cold, not ice cold but cold. Tried in tight and 60-80', just not much chewing. I got maybe one more shot this sunday, hopefully weather lets me out. Another sharpie I know didn't do $hit yesterday either down here. August has always been my best month out front. September has been hit or miss for me the last 15 years or so. False albacore were everywhere yesterday, all day they were making wakes and breaking the surface. From the inlet to 5 miles out they were always in sight.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Had to stay in the bay yesterday, wind really sucked, not one touch. Tried for blowfish and they're so small, they just steal the bait, sometimes you can't even feel the taps. No kings, no spot, no blues WTH is wrong with the bay?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If this mild tropical storm their predicting to be off the coast this weekend I'll be trying the bay. Hopefully somewhere near the inlet will produce or the deeper channel edges.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
Got out front Monday, large swell out of the south but spaced so I could run 20kt. Red tower- nada, GSS- skates and sea robins, drift was pretty slow 3oz and was on the bottom, tried to short drift a wreck and got 1 16" fluke and a short seabass. Bites were really slow so I went back to the GSS and kept a few skates, robins were all to small. Finished up at LER without a fish, had a few taps but nothing came tight. Filleted the skate wings and made cakes out of them, I will not do that again, they were a big PIA to clean and I'm not a fan of the flavor or the texture, so much for the trash. I should have known, I tried them for crab bait once, if the crabs won't eat them.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anybody have info on the "shortcut" to the inlet from the ICW? I've seen a few inboards + i/o's leave the ICW a bit before the dogs ear with all the new buoys and just go behind the sand bar then off to the inlet. Would much rather not have to deal with that section if there's water out there, especially during those early morning/night runs. I have twin outboards so I don't draft too much.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
Are you talking about the area around marker 130? Heading north toward the inlet you can turn toward Pullen Island in between # 131 and # 130 the water is at least 6' but mostly deeper, stay more toward the middle of " Grassy Channel" all the way to the inlet, take it slow and gets some tracks. If you look on the aerial map you can get a sense of the bars and channels there.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Made it out front yesterday, tried inshore then moved off to gss. 2 drift socks got us down to 1.3/1.8 knots but it was narly out there. We were dedicated trying to get 1 more keeper, fished from 930 till 430ish. Most of the day we could drift faster then we could drive when resetting drifts. I'd say 5 to 8's w/ a nice 3 to 5' tight chop in between the big swells. We saw 1 nice regulator out there and that was it other then a sailboat. we probably had 10ish shorts, 2 blues, couple c-bass, and 2 or 3 robins. Off to some southern species hopefully this sunday back on my boat. Probably try the creeks for bass then troll around the inlet w/ spoons and little yozuri deep divers. Might get some crabs and fleas and try for sheapshead and tog too. Nice to still have some options while waiting for the fall run to really start.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
i was at LE reef yesterday too, i was able to keep the drift ~2
Got drenched on the ride out. resetting the drift was a pita. The big swells w/ the wind- made breakers
Crazy

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
Sorry for the wind Sunday I said out loud that I was going fishing and this was the result. I got to the dock and the flags were straight out so I decided to pull out the hand lines and some bunker and managed to get 8 nice crabs with a full moon, 2 shedders for bait as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Late report but last Sunday I was not going out front with the wave action but stayed in back and found 15 Big blowfish mixed in with kingfish, got 6 nice kings. Probably caught 100 3" blowfish to get 15 big enough to keep.

261 - 278 of 278 Posts