BASS BARN banner
301 - 320 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
trebles, singles may hang up less.
I had a bunch of similar jigs I got @ Scotts a few years back with singles. Hung them up too.
But have found that most of the hangups happen when the drift picks up & have more scope in the line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fished Saturday, stayed in bay. Fished both tides but no love. Couldn't conveniently get spit so just got some eels. Wind against the tide in my favorite creek so couldn't really drift eels too well. Took about a 1000 casts with every lure I ever caught bass on. only had 2 little blues to show for our effort

·
Registered
16,716 Posts
FWIW I have found out some days while using the diamond jigs with the rubber tails they wouldn't touch it but I cut the rubber tail off they would hit it

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Gonna stock up on spot tomorrow and hit it hard in the back this weekend. I wish I had time today to sneak out before the blow, just got home.
Seized steering cable last weekend which sucked. fortunately It just needed a lot of cleaning/scrubbing. Not good as new but close to it. The engine steering tube is a corroded mess so I don't think I'll ever get the silky smooth 1 finger steering. But at least the cable is smooth. Engine moves back and forth effortlessly w/out the cable hooked up. Youtube said white lthium grease so that's what I used on all moving parts.
Sounds like the troll bite picked up out front this week, maybe one day u guys can get out there. Bigguns too as usual this time of year, I've always been a quantity not quality guy. But who doesn't like a few 30+lbers every year.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gonna stock up on spot tomorrow and hit it hard in the back this weekend. I wish I had time today to sneak out before the blow, just got home.
Seized steering cable last weekend which sucked. fortunately It just needed a lot of cleaning/scrubbing. Not good as new but close to it. The engine steering tube is a corroded mess so I don't think I'll ever get the silky smooth 1 finger steering. But at least the cable is smooth. Engine moves back and forth effortlessly w/out the cable hooked up. Youtube said white lthium grease so that's what I used on all moving parts.
Sounds like the troll bite picked up out front this week, maybe one day u guys can get out there. Bigguns too as usual this time of year, I've always been a quantity not quality guy. But who doesn't like a few 30+lbers every year.

Better off using oil, grease gets hard when it gets old and can contribute to the sticking issue. Look where cable goes into the steering tube and you may see what i am talking about. At the end of the year spray it down with the fogging oil and cover from weather, my first boat with cable steering froze up after 4 years and tech guy showed my all the hard grease in the cable. been 20 years now with same cable using oil.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 · (Edited)
I only use the marine grease on everything, it used to be Yamaha grease but I think that SIM yamaha is selling Mercury blue grease now. I bought the little gun that they sell and a bunch of the small tubes, the gun had great reviews and so far is working great. The steering cables don't have a zerk for greasing but I seem to remember that you can add one to the cable, I've had hydraulic since 2003 so I'm not too sure of that anymore. I also use the grease on my fishing reel bearings. I also bought some angled zerks to replace the ones I can't get the gun on but that's a project for the off season when I'm out.
The other product that I've been using is Fluid Film spray on all of the motor parts, trim tubes and steering gear. I found it at Lowes and spray it on when I can leave it for a week to let it soak in, it doesn't stain fiberglass and rinses off with water, it also gets sprayed on the washdown and livewell pump and has been keeping them in great shape. After winterizing I spray again and it sit's all winter.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Good info man thanks
Gave it a shot yesterday afternoon/night. Had plenty of spot and lots of marks but 1 bite for our effort, 22 3/4's. It really laid down nice late in the day and calm after sunset. Tried the 1oz drail sinker rather then a fishfinder w/ 2-4oz's fishing vertical. I think when I'm spot locked on a area I'll stick w/ a small drail. When drifting a area I may stick w/ a vertical presentation w/ a fishfinder and heavier lead.
I got 16 spot left so I may as well give it another shot this afternoon since my football team stinks.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
False alarm my live well took a $h!t in the middle of the night. 10 nice little ones and 6 medium/large dead. 2 minnows survived that came with the spot. I'm not driving 20 miles out of my way today for bait after a slow day yesterday. I only got 2 jobs tomorrow so I'll take the ride to dave's tomorrow then back to chestnut neck. I wish chestnut neck could keep them in stock, I'd definitely fish 1 or 2 more days a week.
If we did a little better last night I'd make the run but not after 7 hours and 1 bite. Maybe the tide will chill out and the water will clear up a little bit by tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Snuck out yesterday afternoon/evening on a solo trip. Explored some new spots that were recommended. 1st area I got a 27" catfish on a spot, almost kept it. 20 yards later nice run off gave it 5 seconds put it in strike and just a empty hook. Dropped right back down not 30 seconds later another run off that came tight on a 7 count. Pounded the area for another hour for nothin. Went back to my honey hole and a had a good bite instantly. It was really running with it and hit hard so I gave it a 12 count figuring it was atleast a bonus tag fish. Once again eased the drag to strike and slowly reeled till tight then a few seconds later nothin, empty hook. So 3 good bites and only 1 23"er full of sea lice. Took well over an hour to go from chestnut neck to Dave's and back due to road/bridge closures. Back at it friday AM

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Left the icy ramp at 730, hit the normal spots I go to w/ no love. Tried a few new areas but notta, went where I had some bites last trip nothin. Made a 5 mile run to my best area and got a 29" in the first 3 mins. Pounded that area for a few hours but nothin else. Went back to the triple cuts and tried every cut inbound and outbound sides but nothin. 3 dozen spot, used 10 maybe just to keep a freshy on. Back at it sunday I think, I got the spot in a cooler w/ some airators covered up so they should be fine.
Looks like it was a off day for many so maybe it was the moon, that's my excuse.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
Nice fish! Got out with my son yesterday, on a tip trolled some stretch 25's up to the bridge and back w/o a touch. I had an SP minnow down the middle as well. There were a lot of boats, looked like a tuna hot spot with everyone trolling all over and all were playing nice. Gave up on the troll and tried eels around Rutgers but there was no drift, off to the north side of the inlet but no love not even a hit all day. Saw one guy coming in the north cut and my son said it looked like the gates of hell out there. I really appreciated the pilot house yesterday, not sure I would have enjoyed the day in the open.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I tried to launch from great bay blvd around 9 but the tide was too crazy yesterday. I was pumped too with a nice load of spot. Ended up launching from chestnut neck around 10:30ish. Tried some new areas with no luck, then just anchored in front of the first creek we saw. There was so many boats I figured my usual spots got hit hard all morning. Pulled one 18" out of first creek mouth on a paddle tail. Trolled a few bends in the river heading to our next spot but nothin. Managed one more 18" at last spot on a paddle tail. Fished till dark and it was miserable all day in a little 14' skiff. Wind laid down nice at sundown but my brother had enough... I still had 12 spot left but I let them swim away, PIA keeping them alive 30+ miles from the bay/river. I had been keeping them going for 5 days in a cooler at home freshening the water every time we went fishing.
I wish the troll bite was more productive, it would be a blast. I think with light west wind and warm temperature I may head to the beach tomorrow. I got a few jobs in morning and will head down in the afternoon. I'll go to north end of LBI

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Fished the beach the other night, nothin. Found the nicest structure I ever seen for northern lbi, 7'ish of water 20 yards out. I found out the hard way how deep it was, had to swim back to shore since I didn't take the same route back to beach. Stayed another hour but was tired of wet waders. Wader belt held it back for awhile but eventually water came pouring in half way back to beach.
Jumped on a belmar party boat yesterday, slow pick every few drifts. I managed one 27" bass, 7 were caught on my side all day. Finished trip up off NYC which made for a long ride back in. No bunker were seen or other bait, did see a whale on way out but we didn't check that area. About 30 fish were caught, few overs mainly bonus tag fish.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
I hope no one got caught out in that wind yesterday, I took a ride to Beach Haven Yacht club to fuel up, took 80 gallons added stabilizer and drove around. I did try a storm shad around the sods and the tip of Holgate and I can't even buy a fish right now. I saw the dark clouds moving in and headed in, just made it to the dock, it started to rain and the wind was honking, hardest docking maneuver I ever had, couldn't back in wind and tide made it so I had to nose her in. I'm up the creek at Skinners where it's very sheltered so I can't imagine what it was like out in the open.

Otters got my eels, I forgot about them, my buckets lock is broken, never had a problem with them in West Creek. My last day of vacation is tomorrow, on call today, I'm thinking of trying for some perch, anyone know where I can get grass shrimp?

301 - 320 of 331 Posts