BASS BARN banner
321 - 331 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Looks like I'll get out on thursday with Dave and that will be it till early december. Leaving for the keys on friday and have trailer maintenance to take care of tomorrow. Went down to Delaware today to get springs, hardware, axle, hubs, and some u bolts. Wrong axle and wrong springs, all my fault my measurements. Tomorrow I'll head back down with my old axle and springs to make sure I get the right ones. They said I could return any parts I got today, so that's a plus. Hopefully Wednesday I can get my tackle ready for florida, ya need a little bit of everything down there. From the patch reefs out to the gulf stream plus the back country. I'll report back after thursday w/ Dave. Catchem up

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
Good luck in the Keys, today was my last day of vacation and couldn't go out even in a PH. I did see some baymen out out in a small Carolina skiff and felt like a wimp. I can't believe I used to fish in a CC wearing full Grundens top to bottom in November and December and loved it. Where are the seals this year? I haven't seen any, I did see a pair of Bald Eagles sitting on one of the bars near the inlet though. They were definitely eagles, not black back gulls.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had a great trip with Dave yesterday. I caught about a dozen from 29" to 20". Mostly on gulp and 3 on spot. We had 2 triples and 3 or 4 doubles. My dad who has terrible striper luck did well especially with the spot so that was cool. We ended the day with about 25 fish in just under 4 hours fishin time. 3 28"s or bigger, all fish were released to be caught again at a later date.
Just got settled in at a hotel in Jacksonville, looks like marathon is 7.5 hours away. Got a offshore charter set up for the 29th, hopefully the blackfins are on the humps. 8 hour trip so we'll find something to catch if the black fin don't corporate at the hump. I got my 14' skiff with me, hopefully we can sneak out to the patches a few times. We'll hit the flats hard and maybe make the run to some structure in the gulf.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
SO it's had a full rebuild including transmission. Some major changes to Crusader Captains Choice 5.7.......

I'm wondering if launching is the best thing to do. Or just haul it away and launch with fingers crossed next year. My primary concern is having to winterize an engine I just use for a few hours. In other words If we don't start her.... would I be able to skip engine winterization??

·
Registered
16,716 Posts
IMO I would run it just to make sure everything is performing as expected and it will take a lot of worries away in the off season AND if a problem arises you have the off season to take care of it

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Is your 5.7 carbed or EFI? I would at a minimum run RV antifreeze thru to make sure there is no raw water anywhere where it could freeze. This year I just ran 5 gallons of RV thru each motor, I did not drain my carbs as I will be removing them this winter. I am going to have the original Holley's either rebuilt or I may swap out for a pair of edelbrock 1409's. Not sure which way to go.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Thanks for the input. Yeah I hear you all, I figure up till Mid December I'd launch. After that it'd be a real stretch.....and LOL It was EFI, rebuild converted it to a Holly 4 barrel!

In the meanwhile STILL don't have rebuilt Transmission & mechanic came down with Covid.

321 - 331 of 331 Posts