BASS BARN banner

61 - 80 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I did make it out friday afternoon. Same spot as last sunday, 1 20" bass on a paddletail w/ 1oz jighead. Tide was rippin, might of threw off that area since it was the same part of tide.
Hoping to get out tomorrow if the weather chills out.

The ramp at chestnut neck is pretty decent, 2 ramps. 10 bucks to launch and I "think" she said if you launch 10 times it's free for the rest of the year. I like ramps with floating docks, no floating dock there. Good coarse/rough concrete so plenty of traction. I leave it in 2 wheel.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Made it out today, had two blowups on top water early but couldn’t hook them. Switched up and anchored. Ended with 7 fish, 6 striper all over 20”. One 26” that I thought was a keeper for sure and another at 28” right on the nose (got the keeper trolling). Oh, and a fat ugly catfish. There was a guy trolling around me and hooked up multiple times.

The fish are fat and healthy.

Pretty sure I saw JoeyZack out the anchored as I was heading home.
89850E40-6256-4057-B131-05DB584EF1DD.jpeg

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think I was the only moron out there this morninghaha. Trolled up 15 bass total ranging around 20”-25”. Poured off and on, wind was howling on the ride in. The things we do to catch a fish.

·
Registered
14,793 Posts
Kudos to you been there done that but not anymore unless it blows up while i am out there i have gotten my azz kicked in the past .LOL i remember being out there in little egg throwing bucktails onto little beach for stripers in a blizzard back in the 70s.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I gave it a try yesterday afternoon in the river. Went to some spots that produced before but couldn't get any bites. I marked a lot of fish and bunker, snagged a adult bunker w/ a jig head. Threw him on the biggest circle hook I had(7/0) but he fell off shortly after putting him out. Tried trolling some stretches but couldn't get a good speed. Outboard won't go below 4 mph and my little 30 pound transom trolling motor could only do .9 mph. Went to the parkway bridge to fish the eddies but nothing again. Few perch bites at the bridge. Fog rolled in around 5/6pm, pretty thick too.
It seems that when the wind blows I can't get a bite? It looks like I may have friday morning off so I'd like to try again. Then Sunday off too I think.
I'm assuming you wanna troll with the current rather then against it. But that's just a guess. If you guys don't mind I'd love to get some info on trolling in the river. Like speed, lures, direction/with or against the tide?
Good luck to anybody that gets out this week.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I gave it a try yesterday afternoon in the river. Went to some spots that produced before but couldn't get any bites. I marked a lot of fish and bunker, snagged a adult bunker w/ a jig head. Threw him on the biggest circle hook I had(7/0) but he fell off shortly after putting him out. Tried trolling some stretches but couldn't get a good speed. Outboard won't go below 4 mph and my little 30 pound transom trolling motor could only do .9 mph. Went to the parkway bridge to fish the eddies but nothing again. Few perch bites at the bridge. Fog rolled in around 5/6pm, pretty thick too.
It seems that when the wind blows I can't get a bite? It looks like I may have friday morning off so I'd like to try again. Then Sunday off too I think.
I'm assuming you wanna troll with the current rather then against it. But that's just a guess. If you guys don't mind I'd love to get some info on trolling in the river. Like speed, lures, direction/with or against the tide?
Good luck to anybody that gets out this week.
I have had much better luck trolling against the current. Not sure why, I’m guessing you get better fluttering action against. Rod tips seem to shake a little more. On Sunday I trolled up 15 total but probably only 2 or 3 when going with the current.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Kudos to you been there done that but not anymore unless it blows up while i am out there i have gotten my azz kicked in the past .LOL i remember being out there in little egg throwing bucktails onto little beach for stripers in a blizzard back in the 70s.
"LITTLE BEACH": You are dating yourself. I fished there as a kid with my Dad & his friends. We would run over from Nunzie's at Great Bay marina. Come in the back way, pull the boats over the sand bar. Than walk over the dunes to fish off the surf.
Great striper fishing there early season. Most people never heard of Little Beach.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I think I was the only moron out there this morninghaha. Trolled up 15 bass total ranging around 20”-25”. Poured off and on, wind was howling on the ride in. The things we do to catch a fish.

My back hurts watching that, thank you for sharing

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have had much better luck trolling against the current. Not sure why, I’m guessing you get better fluttering action against. Rod tips seem to shake a little more. On Sunday I trolled up 15 total but probably only 2 or 3 when going with the current.
Thanks man, I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
My dad used to keep his boat at Great Bay when Nunzie owned it, he had one of those lapstrake wooden inboard skiffs and we were over by the travel lift. He used to take us to Little Beach and Holgate, my Dad was known as Blackjack, maybe that was the make of his boat, never really knew that one. Everyone was following the Blue Boats from Oyster Creek, they always knew where the fish were, How about 2BS? Common term back then, great times!!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I remember 2BS. My father and I would head out BH Inlet in our old lapstrake 24' Luhrs, turn to 180 and in a few miles put out the lines for bluefish, had lots of fun on that thing. No GPS, no sounder, no loran, just a compass and a AM band radio. That was in the early seventies.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My Dad died in 1972, when I was 14. So it's been a while. We fished an old single screw 30ish foot called the Moon or Full Moon. The others were a 17 whaler & 25' blue wooden boat, not sure the name.
His friends lived about the shop. We had a truck w/ a 10' El Dorado camper that we slept in.
Nunzio was a great guy. As a kid I would fish the sod banks when it was too rough to cross the bay.
Simplier times!

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
on the fence on the 20+ radar too

I got radar on a 'lark' summer 1993. Bought a Furuno 1712 from Boat US. It said $1250. I called in and they said On Sale 1150. On a Monday. Had it shipped to me CO my mechanic. By Wednesday I was having second thoughts. On thursday I was going to return it, but forgot. I got down to boat on friday SURPRISE I had radar!!

Well that was the year of the FOG. We had more fog that year than all years before and since added together. I had at least 15 trips enabled due to the unit. I never like to run without it at might. Or in restricted visibility. That and auto pilot are the two big ones.

I know someone who made 100+ canyon trips w/o radar. So it can be done...but not by me!

61 - 80 of 172 Posts