BASS BARN banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Nice, Lookin good. I'll be on the river maybe the bay on Sunday. Hoping the forecast holds out. I bailed today, just didn't feel like fighting this wind.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Left out of chestnut neck, went right to my honey hole/only spot I've caught bass. Got a 25"er in first hour, hammered that spot for another hour. Decided to head to bay w/ worms and clams.
Engine cut out as soon as we headed for bay. Before I could even diagnose it a boat came by heading to the parkway bridge and said he would give me a tow. Thank you very much to that fella in the tin boat w/ a yami. Few mins into tow I realized the fuel line was dangling off the engine. Quick zip tie and some thank you's and we were headed east again.
Drove around the fleet at the point and threw the hook. Sat sideways for about a hour and ate lunch. Worm bags and clams for bait but nothin not even a tap. Went back to honey hole and got a nice 26"er and a 25"er. Few mins later hooked up to decent fish that pulled more drag then the others. Few mins later he/she spit the hook at the boat. Looked to be about a mid 30"er. Wasn't upset since it just made the decision easier to release it. I had the leader in the tip so I count that. Took another 100 casts but nothin more. Satisfying day other then my brother still hasn't hooked up yet. Shimano 2500/3000's on 10-20lb rods 15lb test makes for a great fight w/ the 20"+ fish.
Good luck guys, marina's are starting to fill up.
Good luck guys.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
"Saw it in the slip today- looking good!"

Were you at Great Bay marina Fellet1?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I got a email saying my bonus tag is being mailed out today. I thought I saw they weren't mailing till may 20th. So we might get a chance to use the tags on the spring run. I worry that the bass are gonna leave any day now. So I'm thankful for every one I catch now a days as we near may. Since this is my first year of keeping a log book for the mullica/great bay, I have no idea when most of the bass will leave. 55.9 degrees on the incoming last sunday.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Well I got the bonus tag today and it did say "not active till May 15th". Oh well, it'll keep me trying all summer in the morning and night.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Gave it a shot Friday morning. Water was very low at high tide because of a couple days of west wind. Water was like Chocolate milk. Gave up when the wind started kicking like 9 Without a bite.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Went out Saturday, a bunch of other boats were at the point. Trolled all over the bay and managed only one short. The water was still a mess.

Still marked fish all over.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Saturday-all the bait shops were closed on green street 6:15 , so no bait.
headed over to the south end of the bay, trolled a bit, and decided to cast at the sod banks.
Got 3 schoolies on a naked jig w/ a copper penny shrimp.
moved around some- nada
poked my nose out the north cut, passed some porpoises that were heading in.
wind kicked up & got cold! headed in & wound up calling it

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Heading to the river tomorrow, will have worms and fresh clams on board. Probably won't make it to the point but might give it a shot on the outgoing. Hopefully there will be less boats at the point so I can try to find some kind of structure to anchor on.

Still no tracking number for the i pilot trolling motor, sure would be nice for fishing the river.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Left chestnut neck at 6:30, went to honey hole. No bites there, stayed till start of outgoing. Toss up between the point or go up river. W/ the sse wind we decided to head up river rather then fish wind against tide at point. Nothing up river, fished creek mouths, corners, and the big bay back there but nothin. Went back to honey hole, caught 1 16"er. Took another hundred casts each but nothing more. Got back to ramp at 3. Everybody we talked to caught nothin.
1 guy watched us catch the 1 one we got and drove all around us for half an hour. Drove right over the bar we've been fishing multiple times. We sneak up on this area w/ the trolling motor being careful to not drive over the spot. So I'm sure the guy trying to get in on the action didn't help. I kept casting his way way when he wasn't looking, he kept on thinking fish were jumpin around him... We did see some bird play that 3 of us got on in the morning but us casters and the trollers couldn't get a bite.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Someone, please turn the fans down on the weekends.
And during the week, i can get a day or 2 off this time of year. But I've only been able to take advantage of week day trips once. Hopefully flounder season the wind will chill out. Or I'll be real pi$$ed, every time I've been to the bay this year it's been blowing 10+. Usually 10-15 gust to 20 out of S/SE. Hopefully I can find a few fish in the river if the fans are gonna be on this weekend.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts