BASS BARN banner

161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Mike great to hear from you, that hand injury really sucks, hope it doesn't slow you down too much. Congrats on the house and boat, I really loved my Century! What year and power did you get? I would love to buddy up for some tuna, I have 6 30# set ups this year, need 1 more for the shotgun but I do have something to use this year.
Got out yesterday fished close to home and wind against tide had us with a very poor drift, fished the popular channel in GB and drift was 2.5 kt so if there were fish they weren't chasing. Headed south and found a decent drift in very narrow channels, caught an 18.5" first drift and kept trying to reproduce but only caught shorts, slack tide we got covered up by sponge crabs. Tide started coming in so I decided to just drift north, caught a 19.5" so we kept going back and caught a 10+ more with another 18.5" most of the others were 17".
Called it a day when the VHF went off with the thunderstorm alerts. Last time that happened we got caught in the middle of GB between 2 storms and it wasn't too much fun, sky was very dark when we arrived at the dock.
Fluke!! It's what's for dinner!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Nice job, thanks for the report.
We tried today and had some fun. Fish were pretty much everywhere, at every depth. As soon as people seen ya off by yourself repeating the same drift a fleet appeared(didn't net 1 fish, and didn't flip any fish in with boats driving by). Then the bite dropped off, but we managed about 20 shorts and 3 keepers. Kept 1 for the table released the other 2 since they were hooked in the lips/mouth. Kept a 19.5"er for tomorrow night. Pink and orange seemed best w/ a minnow on top. water temp 70-72, fished 9 to 2:30, wind picked up pretty good around 1

·
Registered
147 Posts
Fished 9 to 2 between the stink house and Cape Horn entrance with no luck. Saw a few shorts and one keeper near me. Also saw a good size Weakfish caught. Working the rest of the weekend, hopefully try to get out mid week

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
1 short only, had some nice drifts but I guess maybe all the rain shut em down. F'n greenheads re here, I even got bit. I really should have gone after some seabass but was very concerned about storms, they were pretty strong Tuesday, watched the clouds piling up all day. I just beat the rain so I was happy about that.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Sunday is my day, hopefully tomorrows NE don't foul things up. I think I'm gonna hit up absecon bay sportsmen center for some live spot. I'll jig my normal fluke rig and dead stick some spot. I plan on fishing the last half of incoming and first half of outgoing. Stinks you can't really comfortably come back in to Capt. Mikes at low tide. But hopefully I'll have a fish or maybe 2 in the box before the bottom of the outgoing in the afternoon.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Yeah we were there for 4 seasons. Had to watch the tides and time when we left & came back in very closely.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Gave it a shot yesterday, 6/12. Drifted the stakes bx Cape Horn and Big Creek. 3 shorts and a sand shark. Last hour of incoming and first 3 hours of outgoing. 1 short and the sand shark on squid w/spearing and two shorts on gulp red salmon. Water was 65.5°. Wind was steady out of the ENE

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Left at 8:15 and got back to Capt Mikes ramp at 2:30. Fished the channel, about 3 miles of it. Got about a dozen shorts and one 20"er that went in the box. No Minnows at mikes and I already had the boat ready to launch. So I didn't go looking for them. I had 1lb of atlantic salmon and got some spearing. Fish bit best before and around noon, then the fans turned on. Wind against the tide sucked, drift sock acted like a anchor holding us in 1 spot. Eventually I just used the trolling motor to get going the right direction and picked up a few more. The keeper spit up a spearing that looked fresh out of the package. I assume he stole it from someone else or me then bit my brothers hook. My brother didn't have spearing on when he caught the keeper. Pink worked best for us and didn't get any bites on orange this trip. Nice morning, very comfortable with water temps around 67-69 and light winds.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Mike great to hear from you, that hand injury really sucks, hope it doesn't slow you down too much. Congrats on the house and boat, I really loved my Century! What year and power did you get? I would love to buddy up for some tuna, I have 6 30# set ups this year, need 1 more for the shotgun but I do have something to use this year.
Got out yesterday fished close to home and wind against tide had us with a very poor drift, fished the popular channel in GB and drift was 2.5 kt so if there were fish they weren't chasing. Headed south and found a decent drift in very narrow channels, caught an 18.5" first drift and kept trying to reproduce but only caught shorts, slack tide we got covered up by sponge crabs. Tide started coming in so I decided to just drift north, caught a 19.5" so we kept going back and caught a 10+ more with another 18.5" most of the others were 17".
Called it a day when the VHF went off with the thunderstorm alerts. Last time that happened we got caught in the middle of GB between 2 storms and it wasn't too much fun, sky was very dark when we arrived at the dock.
Fluke!! It's what's for dinner!
Scott, she’s a 2000 with twin Yamaha 225 4 strokes, plus 300 gallons of fuel so we can hook up for tuna definitely. It’s been a long road with the hand and will be for the foreseeable future. I’m getting feeling back in my middle and pointer fingers but I may never get it back on the ring finger. They we’re getting ready to amputate from the knuckle up until they heard a slight sound of blood flow on the echo gram on one side of the finger tip. Great hearing back from you and hope to hook up soon. Tight lines my friend.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'll be out tomorrow out of capt. mikes. We'll probably both have yellow long sleeve shirts on and boat is a 14' flat bottom. Say hi if ya see us, we'll probably start in the channel then head to in between the islands if need be.

161 - 177 of 177 Posts