BASS BARN banner

Little Egg' Great Bay thread 2021

57K views 347 replies 30 participants last post by  Vitalsigns 
#1 ·
I guess I'll be the one this year. Please continue to make it stick. 2 weeks from today I have a week off to get the Shenanigans ready for launch. I have no plans for major upgrades this season but the Admiral and I have our NJ registry, I have my HMS permit in hand. Hopefully this will be the year that I put Tuna blood on the deck of my own boat. I don't remember a longer winter in my life, I guess I take no pleasure in snow anymore and I missed my Florida vacation this year. I hope we can get a great fishing thread going because I just don't spend much time here anymore, I really don't want to discuss politics, I can listen to the BS on the news if I want to. Let's talk fishing because that is why we all showed up in the first place. Good luck keepin a few this year!!!

#6 ·
I have a 23 Steigercraft Miami, I've been off 40+ trolling on a few occasions but have yet to catch any fish out there. I hear reports and had some tips but always seem to get there and no life is evident. I've been running 7 rods with wide trackers outside and a couple of flat lines in close and change up the rest, usually I'll run a hoo off the shotgun that I keep up top in the rocket launcher. I also try to stay away from the fleet but that may be a tactical error on my part.

#5 ·
jdps - I just responded in another thread. Been lurking for years, but just joined (still TBD if I regret it). Looking forward to fishing this year as I think the cold snap we had will make Great Bay a great place to fish. The recent winds have created issues on the mainland but I think are crucial to a healthy aquatic environment this summer. The Great Bay marshes seem to be cleaning out giving way for room for new growth (and new habitat).

#12 ·
I hope to join you guys in this thread this year. I'm still searching for a boat just for the great bay area. I'm going to look at a "nice looking" little privateer tomorrow night. For my sake, I'm hoping the water stays cool a little longer so I can at least catch the tail end of the main striper bite. Looking forward to flounder/tog/weak fish and stripers along the banks in the early am this summer. I sure wish scotts B/T could open back up, I used to really enjoy going/shopping there.
Good luck to ya'll

#14 ·
I got her last night a "1992 14' privateer", she's pretty sweet. It's got a 40hp on her and it's converted to a center console. Fortunately the center console is made into the center bench/seat, so no holes drilled into floor. It's bare bones so I can set up the wiring/bimini top to my liking. Fuel tank is under console and batteries are going under back seat/bench compartment. I just washed her up real good so next week when it warms up I can quick rinse her then compound and wax. This is my 3rd boat, 15' tri hull, 18' manatee cubby cabin, and now the privateer. So far this is by far my favorite, I'm a fisherman so its perfect.
I think I'm gonna get a remote minnkotta for the bow and a lowrance 7" hook reveal w/ triple shot transducer to finish it off. Looking forward to the side scan and DI. Hopefully I can get it registered saturday mornin and be anchored up off the point next week w/ some blood worms.
Good to be back here again, reports will be coming good or bad.

#16 ·
I'm gonna go with the trailer route for now. I've done the slip route with the last 2 boats, but I don't feel like worrying about storms or bilge pumps failing living a hour away... Currently I haven't looked at any ramps in person just on google. Great bay marina, cape horn marina, and one google calls "NJ boat ramp" look to be the closest to the western grounds. Hopefully all 3 are options being so close to the bay.
I've only fished the great bay twice in the last 10 years. I've got a lot to learn but that's what keeps it interesting. Finding the fish is probably the thing I missed the most fishing on other peoples boats. I do remember a few popular flounder spots and hope to find some new spots. Hopefully the dmv treats me good tomorrow so I can wet a line soon.

#17 ·
When I was trailering I found it to be cheaper and more convenient to pay for the season. I did it at Great Bay, nice ramp but steep, they only have the one so your at the mercy of other boaters, only had one real incident when a guy forgot to detach his boat from the trailer. Cape Horn is great, your a shallow draft so depth is not a problem, serious greenheads and mosquitos as big as sparrows at dusk. Look at Chestnut Neck, great location and the best owners, you have easy access to the bay and one of the nicest rivers in NJ. Welcome to a great group.

#19 ·
Wrapped up everything below the waterline, zincs, trim tabs, ducers. I waxed everything I can reach from a scaffold on the bow and pilot house. Replaced the boarding ladder, the one that was there was stainless but had steel eclips that not only left rust stains but also broke. Big surprise, of course I couldn't find one with the same bolt holes. Glad I didn't do a final wash and wax because they were doing controlled burn yesterday and it was raining black soot and ash at the marina, I would have been so pissed. I'll take my leaf blower tomorrow and blow it off first, guess I should blow the lot too that black **** is everywhere. Will I be the first in?

#20 ·
Wrapped up everything below the waterline, zincs, trim tabs, ducers. I waxed everything I can reach from a scaffold on the bow and pilot house. Replaced the boarding ladder, the one that was there was stainless but had steel eclips that not only left rust stains but also broke. Big surprise, of course I couldn't find one with the same bolt holes. Glad I didn't do a final wash and wax because they were doing controlled burn yesterday and it was raining black soot and ash at the marina, I would have been so pissed. I'll take my leaf blower tomorrow and blow it off first, guess I should blow the lot too that black **** is everywhere. Will I be the first in?
You’re way ahead of me! I need to get off my a$$.

#22 ·
I had a major delay too, damn dmv is only taking appointments. I got a appointment for the 23rd. I did get 2 new batteries, uscg safety gear, wiring connectors, switch panel, wires, liquid tape and shrinktube, bilge pump, vhf radio.

Good info on the ramps, seasonal pass sounds good. Launch anytime ya want I assume w/ seasonal ramp pass. I used to be at matts landing where the green heads were pretty bad, long pants and shirts is the best I found. Others used some kind of purple childrens gell bug spray, they even sold it at there b/t shop.

#23 ·
I wouldn't let their delay hold you back, as long as you have a receipt for the purchase. It's the DMV's fault you can't get everything done sooner. I ran my boat for months last summer before being able to get through to the DMV... Every time I went it was a 4-5 hour wait or they straight up turned me away because there was so many waiting already. I wasn't going to let them force me to keep my new boat out of the water because they can't get their $hit together.

Insanity.

#24 ·
Way too windy for a ride today. I still have some polishing to do, just a little left on the pilot house and the cockpit area. Hopefully I get pick up the modified "anchor light", Scan Strut makes a fine radar mount but the light has no way to lay it down w/o unbolting it. I have a guy welding a hinge on it so all I have to do is pull a pin.

#28 ·
Tuckerton bait and tackle---338 S. Green 267 229 1485. Not sure when he opens for the season--Half way down street heading toward shelter cove. I am in Maritime Marina and have been using him for 4 years-if he don't have it he will get it for ya --call ahead. Usually has green crab-minnow-clam squid etc. Not much in the way of tackle but has all the necessary stuff

#29 ·
I'm really starting to get the itch, just received my two new all around wreck/bottom fishing combos for the wife and I. I won a decent money fantasy football league this year and decided to blow it all on fishing.

The wife:
Purple Avet SXJ 5.3 single speed on a 6'6 MH Trevala.

Me:
Black Accurate Boss ValianBV2-400 2 Speed on a 6'6 H Trevala PX

They're both probably a little beefy for flounder but will work. What I like is they're both very lightweight. The Accurate setup should be able to handle almost anything inshore.

#31 ·
As long as everything works out at the dmv on thursday I'm gonna give it a whirl on Saturday. I plan on launching at great bay marina, drive around just outside of the marina a little bit to make sure everything is good. If everything is good, I'll go back to the marina and buy bloodworms then throw the hook off the point somewhere...
When I slipped my boats on the maurice river we used sea tow. I was wondering if some one could recommend "sea tow" or "tow boat us" for the great bay. And one last question, what vhf channel do people use for the great bay?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.