BASS BARN banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
17 Parker 21 SE
Love the boat Love the Yamaha 150.
Coming from a 20 year old 2 stroke the Yami is sweet.

Good luck with your new ride, what did you get?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I got to the point around 11:30ish maybe 12. I drove around the small fleet(5 boats) looking for a hole to set up on. I have a 14' privateer skiff w/ a center console. We weren't marking much of anything but that skiff really catches the wind and had us sideways the whole time. We only stayed there for a hour since some waves were splashing in over the side. I followed the police to the point if that helps. I'm hoping I get off due to rain on Wednesday and give it another shot.
I think my prop hub is spinning, so rather then get a new hub and get it pressed in I just ordered a new prop w/ hub. I could only do 11mph against tide and 22 with tide. Right before she try's to get on plane the rpm's go up but no change in speed or ride. I tried trimming up/down and no difference. Engine seems to run good w/ no missing/excessive smoke and starts w/ just a flick of the key. Plugs are a real pretty tannish color but I threw on a fresh water separator and getting new plugs tomorrow. Prop should be here tomorrow/Wednesday.
The previous owner gave me a spare prop that's slightly too big so I'll use that if the new prop don't come in time. Looking forward to getting back out there. I still got a dozen bloods that are hanging in there living in the fridge(quadruple bagged). Good luck to anybody heading out this week,

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
Just checked the weather, not looking too good this week as of now. Hopefully the forecast changes.
Not bad if you staying in the back have you tried a drift sock ?

Sat
W winds 10 to 15 kt, becoming SW in the afternoon. Seas around 3 ft.

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
Sun
W winds 10 to 15 kt, diminishing to 5 to 10 kt in the afternoon. Seas around 3 ft in the morning, then 2 ft or less.

Looks like partly sunny but we all know how the weather forecasters are

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I saw you leave, I was wondering what was going on. Your lucky you could go that fast with a spun hub. I saw that Trooper go up to one boat and I though he was gonna make the rounds but the he left.
Nice boat Potomac!!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thanks man, I'm happy with the boat. I do wish I would of got a smaller battery for the engine, she sits pretty low in the water around the stern. I got as much weight forward as I can. I hear ya with the "man" in the area. I'm used to the Delaware bay where you get stopped every time you go out. And definitely getting checked if they are in the area. I got all my ducks in a row so I didn't care if they wanted to chat.
Sunday is looking good, If I get tomorrow off I may try the west side of rt 9. Winds are looking terrible but hopefully the back is fishable.
More importantly I ordered a I-pilot/auto pilot minnkotta last night. Should be here the 2nd week of April. That'll be a little more weight up front. Free 3 year extended warranty I got from the sales chat person. Can't wait to be hands free casting/retrieving w/out constantly moving the transom mount trolling motor I got now.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks man, I'm happy with the boat. I do wish I would of got a smaller battery for the engine, she sits pretty low in the water around the stern. I got as much weight forward as I can. I hear ya with the "man" in the area. I'm used to the Delaware bay where you get stopped every time you go out. And definitely getting checked if they are in the area. I got all my ducks in a row so I didn't care if they wanted to chat.
Sunday is looking good, If I get tomorrow off I may try the west side of rt 9. Winds are looking terrible but hopefully the back is fishable.
More importantly I ordered a I-pilot/auto pilot minnkotta last night. Should be here the 2nd week of April. That'll be a little more weight up front. Free 3 year extended warranty I got from the sales chat person. Can't wait to be hands free casting/retrieving w/out constantly moving the transom mount trolling motor I got now.
You're gonna love the trolling motor. I'll be installing mine this weekend.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Mine should be here around the 12th, can't wait. I hope the remote is easy to get working properly.
I'll be leaving from chestnut neck tomorrow around 7 am. Might fart around before the incoming tide throwing lures/plastics. Once the incoming starts I think I'll anchor up in the river over a deep hole in front of a creek mouth. I plan on staying put at the spot as long as I mark some stuff from time to time. Plan B is to head to the point and stay there for rest of the tide.
Gotta head for the barn around 3ish, I'll be on channel 9. Good luck fellas

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Check out Deep Hole there and then try drifting the sod bank across from it along the East corner...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Trolling motor installed and boat launched! My season has started! I’ll be out and about tomorrow early afternoon tossing some bloodworms.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Nice, I would love to get a trolling motor but I'm going to start with a heading sensor and an NMEA 2000 network then move on to an AP. On another note I stayed close to home and caught 12 more stripers all about 22-23" with 1 double header, I was on the west side close to the sods in 5'. The bite was really steady until the wind change, tide was coming in and the temp was 46 degrees. I was using # 5 circle hooks, it's a reall pain threading the bloods on them but no gut hooks on the 1 dead stick rod I was using. I did see a Golden Eagle sitting on the sods about 100 yards away, thought it was a vulture at first and had to break out the binocs but it was huge and definitely a Golden. Tried to get some pics using the phone and binocs but it was impossible with the rocking boat.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I seen a golden eagle today too, about 200/300 yards from chestnut neck. Sorry if someone tried to reach me today, I didn't turn vhf on till noon. We left the ramp at 7:30, went to the first bend and started drifting. Started w/ a walk the dog spook style lure in bone color, nothin. Continued hitting the banks and it paid off. First fish was about 20"s, worked that general area but no more bites. Got right back on top off where the first fish was caught and threw the hook. 15 mins in my dad hooked up and I thought man what a great day. For the rest of the outgoing till right before slack tide we caught one after another. My dad got a 29"er that gave us a good fight at the boat. I started to upgrade w/ a 24, 26, 28.5"er, tough to tell if their bellys were full of eggs or food. So we just kept the first one and I threw my keeper back. I was right, they were females cause my dad's had eggs in it. Dad's fish spit out what looked like a bunker in the cooler and had another in it's stomach when I cleaned it. We caught around 20 bass on 1 oz jig heads w/ paddle tail plastics in a purple/silver color.
That bite shut off like a light switch right before slack tide. So I tied up some worm bags/balls while waiting for the incoming tide to start so we could sit straight while blood worming. Tried same spot no luck, made another move to some deeper water not far away. 1 run off on bloodworms which I hooked but it was a darn catfish. So I've spent 85 bucks so far on bloodworms and have 2 catfish to show for it. My dad is bad luck when it comes to striper fishing. I'm glad he got some good action on little spinning rods w/ 15lb test.
Hopefully I can get a weekday afternoon in this week otherwise it's not till sunday before I get out. Oh yea I guess the prop hub was slipping since I could get on plane and do around 20mph against the tide.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hit the point for a little bit this afternoon with bloodworms, pretty crappy bloods actually. Managed 3 fish 18-25”. The 25 was fat and strong, thought it was a keeper for sure. I was busy early and didn’t get out until dead low. Got the fish when the tide started running back in, then the wind made things tough. Sounds like I would have had a great morning if I got out first thing.

·
Registered
361 Posts
What VHF channel do you all mostly monitor? I finally installed the fixed mount radio and will keep it on now.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I keep mine scanning unless it becomes intolerable, then I just monitor 16 but always on. 9 and 68 are on my scan channels. Last fall I was listening to these guys talking in code, don't remember what channel but I started talking to them and they got really upset that I could hear them. They changed to another channel and I could still hear them, I said guys don't you know about scan, maybe you should talk on your phones or use DSC.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'm planning on going tomorrow afternoon, probably staying in the river. Launching from chestnut neck, I'll have the radio on 9

41 - 60 of 63 Posts